Intolerance on the Road

Home of the traffic rant.
Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Intolerance on the Road

Post by Rosemary1 »

There there will always be bad, rude, aggressive drivers. Even the good drivers can make an occasional mistake in a moment of inattentiveness or frustration.

Let's all try to be patient when on the road, drive defensively, follow traffic rules and more people will get home safely and with less stress .
If we ask the right questions we can change the world with the right answers
gman313
Lord of the Board

Re: Intolerance on the Road

Post by gman313 »

It is my job to educate all the idiots out there.

Like the ones turning right onto Hwy 97 from Boucherie road. Instead of continuing into their merge lane they just stop. Then I honk very loudly and watch the panic.

It's pretty funny but seriously, learn how to drive!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

gman313 wrote:It is my job to educate all the idiots out there.

There's a lifetime job with no end of customers!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

The pay sucks, though. I gave up. Instead, I use the golf clap method. The pinky finger wag provokes the insecure; we don't need any coronary incidents on the road from a sudden rise in blood pressure.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

...and keep your stupid animals off the road

...and cyclists.
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

People drive horribly especially in the Okanagan, and for the most part it's the attitude, not for lack of knowledge.
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

I just wanted to post that not all drivers are terrible. Yesterday I was following a car through West Kelowna and the driver actually used an arm signal to turn right as he knew his tail light/signal light was out. THAT was remarkable, and thank you to the driver.....
HP
Board Meister

Post by HP »

I've been giving a lot of thought to traffic intolerance and road rage and the "yer an idiot" thread..

On one hand we have a whole bunch of pretty simple rules that, if followed, will ensure reasonably safe traffic flow. On the other hand, there is a matter of convenience where strict adherence almost seems silly. Enforcement is almost a matter of convenience as well - only really there to support insurance companies.

I'll use the example of turning right onto Summit off of Valley. Since the lines have been re-painted, it's been made clear that there is no "right hand turn lane". You are not to cross a solid line and not to leave the roadway to overtake another vehicle - simple rule. Yet, as a matter of convenience, people will cram onto the shoulder to get a right hand turn because turning left off valley onto Summit can take some time. I REFUSE to enter the shoulder of the road to turn right for more than a few reasons but I wonder what would happen if, when turning right from the designated lane, I would drive into somebody or somebody would sideswipe me? It's setting up a fight, I know, but the issue is that I'm not going to break that simple rule.

This is what I mean about a matter of convenience v.s. a matter of the fact of the rules. The fact is that there is plenty of room for two vehicles of almost any size - one lane turning right and one lane going straight/left turning - yet it isn't marked that way. Now, I get upset when I see people using the shoulder as their personal turning lane because at that point, it's also the bike lane and somebody is going to get taken out by a vehicle. Besides which, if I let that rule slide, which other ones do I let slide? It seems so minor yet it turns into a judgement call and my judgement is not the same as anybody else's.

I don't know if there's a way to fix it either. We have more rules than enforcers and people are simply not willing to hold themselves to a high enough standard to follow the rules in the absence of enforcers. So, what's broken?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Tony wrote:I just wanted to post that not all drivers are terrible. Yesterday I was following a car through West Kelowna and the driver actually used an arm signal to turn right as he knew his tail light/signal light was out. THAT was remarkable, and thank you to the driver.....

It's also remarkable the you knew what the driver was doing, because a lot of drivers have no idea re: arm signals and what they mean.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

HP wrote:

I don't know if there's a way to fix it either. We have more rules than enforcers and people are simply not willing to hold themselves to a high enough standard to follow the rules in the absence of enforcers. So, what's broken?

Isn't that the truth. Looks like it is actually people who are broken. Shouldn't it disturb us greatly that most people are too self important to follow the rules of their own country.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

Bsuds wrote:
It's also remarkable the you knew what the driver was doing, because a lot of drivers have no idea re: arm signals and what they mean.

I'm old Bsuds.... I learned them when I learned to ride a bike!!!!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Tony wrote:I'm old Bsuds.... I learned them when I learned to ride a bike!!!!

Me too...(sigh)
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

To HP; Great post and a great question. I think Smurf has it right. It's people who are broken. Something has changed over the past few decades. Not to say that there weren't stupid and inconsiderate people on the roads way back when but it seems as though there are exponentially more of them and they are replicating at an incredible rate.

If I was asked to speak to why, I would have an answer but I wouldn't have the answer to the answer.

I think it is a deep seated belief in many that they are in fact entitled to create their own rules which they do in order to achieve a sense of superiority that they don't necessarily exude in their day to day lives when forced to interact with people face to face.

In other words, it's easier to do stupid things behind the wheel of their car because the car is the protective barrier between them and the outside world.

Usually the worst they get is an icy glare or a raised middle finger and they can deal with that.

As to why they feel the need to create this false sense of superiority? No real clue other than to speculate that for most it lies deep inside and has to do with a general feeling of not mattering or being ineffectual in their lives.

Kids act out to be noticed. They have no filter and they are driven by the need to be front and center. People who do really stupid and inconsiderate things when they drive are doing the same thing but in such a way as to not truly risk any harm to themselves.

Maybe in their mind the little voice exhorts them to say "Hey! I matter. I am important and my time and my convenience matter so it is OK for me to do what I have to in order to enforce that feeling".

Every now and again though someone who has had enough of these antisocial behavioral displays calls one of them out and we have a situation like the one from the other day between the white van driver and the obviously really angry second party.

Speculation? Absolutely.

But is it conceivable that at least in some cases I might be right?

The human psyche is a delicate mechanism which can be easily damaged and when it is, it can result in behavior that defies understanding.

Our world, the one we share can be a brutal and inhospitable place to try and navigate and I think that there are many who feel inadequate and unnoticed.

Many of them, in fact most I would bet wouldn't think about forcing the spotlight on them but there is no shortage of those who need the attention even if it's negative.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Selfishness has been something that has eroded personal responsibility.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

kgcayenne wrote:Selfishness has been something that has eroded personal responsibility.

Along with common sense, sense of dignity, and respect - but that's not what this thread is about.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”