Anyone deal with ICBC Points System

Home of the traffic rant.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Re: Anyone deal with ICBC Points System

Post by lesliepaul »

Had a ticket 30 years ago.........cop parked in the same spot EVERY night. New he was there, checked the speedo.....right on. Pulls me over, tells me I was doing 72 on a 50. Radar unit was not calibrated or properly calibrated.....ticket tossed.

Once you understand how Radar works and how Laser works, you will learn what can make them inaccurate.

How many people in general are willing to take the time to do this......not many. They pay the ticket, get points, pay more for their license and pay higher insurance premiums. Personally I make it my goal not to have funds extorted from me especially if there is a chance of the equipment used can prove faulty.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

For what it's worth...

I received some information today that states that it's possible but not a guarantee that you'll be dinged for the next 3 years.

From experience I paid the premium only once and this was supported by a check on my license that stated there were no outstanding fees/tickets as of today. However, there were pamphlets available and it said that based on the offences that make up those points, you could be charged the premium each year for three years. There was no further information regarding what types of infractions would lead to that.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

lesliepaul wrote:Had a ticket 30 years ago.........cop parked in the same spot EVERY night. New he was there, checked the speedo.....right on. Pulls me over, tells me I was doing 72 on a 50. Radar unit was not calibrated or properly calibrated.....ticket tossed.

Once you understand how Radar works and how Laser works, you will learn what can make them inaccurate.

How many people in general are willing to take the time to do this......not many. They pay the ticket, get points, pay more for their license and pay higher insurance premiums. Personally I make it my goal not to have funds extorted from me especially if there is a chance of the equipment used can prove faulty.

Now I haven't been around for 30 years, and maybe that would have worked with the equipment used back then, but these days radar and laser speed measuring devices do not need "calibration". The only way you'll beat a ticket is an omission in the officer's evidence with respect to the proper equipment checks prior to and after the writing of the ticket. There isn't anything that can make them inaccurate. Either they work or they don't. And in cases where the cosine effect comes into play, that error is in the favor of the target vehicle and as such is not a defence to the absolute liability offence that speeding is.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

I haven't been around for 30 years, and maybe that would have worked with the equipment used back then, but these days radar and laser speed measuring devices do not need "calibration". The only way you'll beat a ticket is an omission in the officer's evidence with respect to the proper equipment checks prior to and after the writing of the ticket. There isn't anything that can make them inaccurate. Either they work or they don't. And in cases where the cosine effect comes into play, that error is in the favor of the target vehicle and as such is not a defence to the absolute liability offence that speeding is.

"there isn't anything that can make them inaccurate".........with BOTH plain old radar and laser there are MANY factors that can affect their accuracy. If you ARE a police officer you more than obviously do not want the general public to understand how they both work. You obviously have a sense of pride in going to court and by your own admission "100 times and lost once" tells it all. Tell me......100 court dates plus for defending speeding infractions.........how much were you paid to be in court those 100 times (more than likely on your days off at what.......time and a half or double time?). Win, lose or draw......police officers make a lot of money over and above their salaries to attend court. There are several officers here in Kelowna that are pulling down an extra $15,000 to $20,000 a year just for attending court. Most of the police officers I knew loved going to court because "they hit the jackpot every time". If they lost in court, it never bothered them because they come out winners either way.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Knowing how radar works isn't any secret- and the equipment is pretty standard in law enforcement.
There's a big difference between the equipment used 30 years ago and now. They can't even be compared.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
atenbacon
Übergod

Post by atenbacon »

lesliepaul wrote:"there isn't anything that can make them inaccurate".........with BOTH plain old radar and laser there are MANY factors that can affect their accuracy. If you ARE a police officer you more than obviously do not want the general public to understand how they both work. You obviously have a sense of pride in going to court and by your own admission "100 times and lost once" tells it all. Tell me......100 court dates plus for defending speeding infractions.........how much were you paid to be in court those 100 times (more than likely on your days off at what.......time and a half or double time?). Win, lose or draw......police officers make a lot of money over and above their salaries to attend court. There are several officers here in Kelowna that are pulling down an extra $15,000 to $20,000 a year just for attending court. Most of the police officers I knew loved going to court because "they hit the jackpot every time". If they lost in court, it never bothered them because they come out winners either way.

<Picks up microphone>

There are times when some people need to be told to shut the hell up.

This, my Friends, is one of those times.

<Drops mike and walks away>
You have to keep an open mind until it is proven one way or the other. You just can't take the T.V. or internet word on it.
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

kelowna_proud wrote:(6 Points or 2 Tickets)

I was given a ticket in Vernon the other day. Driving without Consideration $196.00 and it also comes with 6 points. Lady at the insurance says with my zero points balance once I become guilty of this ticket automatically I will get dinged $300 a year minimum for the next 3 years. That means that one ticket is worth $1096.00

For Christ sake, do you know how easy you can get six points. Going through a yellow 3 points and speeding 3 points. That 6 points in one ticket right there.

Why the hell is it 3 years + if I get anymore tickets which is pretty easy to get a 3 pointer that would put me at 9 points in a year or $600.

Cops hand out tickets with 6 point totals like candy I bet. No wondering so many people have a hate on the RCMP and ICBC

Day late and a dollar short but have you stopped to consider how your own actions are affecting the outcome?
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

lesliepaul wrote:"there isn't anything that can make them inaccurate".........with BOTH plain old radar and laser there are MANY factors that can affect their accuracy. If you ARE a police officer you more than obviously do not want the general public to understand how they both work. You obviously have a sense of pride in going to court and by your own admission "100 times and lost once" tells it all. Tell me......100 court dates plus for defending speeding infractions.........how much were you paid to be in court those 100 times (more than likely on your days off at what.......time and a half or double time?). Win, lose or draw......police officers make a lot of money over and above their salaries to attend court. There are several officers here in Kelowna that are pulling down an extra $15,000 to $20,000 a year just for attending court. Most of the police officers I knew loved going to court because "they hit the jackpot every time". If they lost in court, it never bothered them because they come out winners either way.

And so they should get paid for working on their days off. The courts don't schedule trials around their days off, and they wouldn't have to attend court if they didn't write tickets.

Ease the *bleep*, brethren.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rosemary1 »

For those interested there is a ton of information, readily available on internet about types of radar and laser systems used in all applications.
If we ask the right questions we can change the world with the right answers

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”