Heavy heavy fog NO lights.

Home of the traffic rant.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Heavy heavy fog NO lights.

Post by Always Sunny »

Funny how I speak of a scenario with all other drivers traveling 50 km or more below a limit without suitable vehicle lights for the condition and I'm "responsible" for an accident that never happened. Why didn't it happen? Because I drive for the conditions with lights, fog lights, a dash camera, and so on...

In short. Use your lights and stay in the right lane if you want to do 70km below the posted speed limit.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

sorry didn't realize a dash cam makes it safer when driving in fog lol
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Gixxer wrote:Ive always thought that day time running lights should be the same for the tail lights as well

It would make more sense if all car lights were on all the time.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Post by skydawg »

LTD wrote:sorry didn't realize a dash cam makes it safer when driving in fog lol

HAHA. No kidding!
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

LTD wrote:sorry didn't realize a dash cam makes it safer when driving in fog lol

It doesn't but if your not driving like an *bleep* and you get mangled up because some idiot with no lights and little visibility cuts you off resulting in a collision, it may be a good witness.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

correct
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I've never had to buy or use fog lamps on any of my vehicles (nearing 40 years of driving). Its all about habits when visible is very low I automatically turn on my lights.
If it's so foggy that nothing can be seen until your right on top of it, I tend to turn on my 4 way flashers at that point (doing whatever I can to become more visible). Sometimes when a very safe place is found to completely pull off & wait out, I will do that then take the risk. Better safe & alive then alternative.

Added: Auto industry needs to re-look at daytime driving light (automatic come on with turn of the key), have the taillight as well come on.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
MattJ
Fledgling

Post by MattJ »

If you can't stop in the distance that you can see, then you're going too fast. Same works for night driving as well. If you over-drive your headlights, meaning if you can't stop in the distance that your headlights illuminate, then you're going too fast. If you hit someone in the fog, whether or not they have lights on, you will be deemed at least 50% responsible for driving too fast for conditions.

As for daytime running lights: shame on the manufacturers who illuminate the dash lights with the daytime running lights. I can't tell you how many vehicles I see at night driving with no tail lights on because the DRLS are so bright the driver can't tell the headlights aren't on, since the dash lights are illuminated as well (that or they just don't look at their gauges and don't notice the dash isn't illuminated).
dcipher
Übergod

Post by dcipher »

Always Sunny wrote:Funny how I speak of a scenario with all other drivers traveling 50 km or more below a limit without suitable vehicle lights for the condition and I'm "responsible" for an accident that never happened. Why didn't it happen? Because I drive for the conditions with lights, fog lights, a dash camera, and so on...

In short. Use your lights and stay in the right lane if you want to do 70km below the posted speed limit.

Not really funny...you could get yourself or somebody else killed because of your negligence. Sorry you don't get to make arbitrary rules (hmmm....50 under....or....SEVENTY under...hmmmmmm).

The likely REASON that driver was going slow is because they didn't want to slam into a car (same reason the guy you were trying to pass was going 30 or 50km under the limit )......possibly one not having ideal lighting (not to mention an animal or a person - both of which have terrible driving lights)

I love the audacity and lack of self awareness though: Man!!! I tried to pass this person way under the limit, and almost slammed into another car going way under the limit because I was going to fast to react well to a car in front of me! HOW could that be MY fault??! None of us could see well!! Must be them!!

IF you are in fog so bad, that one guy is going 50 under the limit, and another is going 70 under the limit, and you almost slammed into somebody, that should be an indication to you that 1.you're judgment is off and you almost caused an accident and 2.people are going well under HALF the posted limit - conditions must be TERRIBLE - all bets are off, you can't trust that everyone in the passing lane will be going faster than the other lane, so you can just barrel through trusting blindly in that.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”