Tailgaters

Home of the traffic rant.
tegotong

Tailgaters

Post by tegotong »

What exactly do they hope to accomplish? Drove to Big White today. The roads were pretty good, drivers were being a bit cautious, but not going that slow. There was a train of cars about 15 - 20 long that I caught up to near the hairpin at Goudie. A big black truck starts sitting on my tail, so right after the hairpin, I scoot into a pullover to let him by. Of course he still has all the other cars in front of him. So he tailgates the last car in the train - all the way to Big White. He must have been clearing his windshield every 2 minutes or less, sitting in their rooster tail. I felt sorry for the other driver - guess he should have done what I did - then the truck could start tailgating the next car in the train. Maybe he thought that he could get everyone in the train to pull over out of his way. Tailgating sure doesn't make people drive any faster, at least not me. I hope the stressful drive ruined his day at the mountain.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Tailgaters

Post by the truth »

i always do the speed limit but when a goof tailgates me i drive a little slower.no moron is every going to make me drive over the speed limit just because they want too
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

the truth wrote:i always do the speed limit but when a goof tailgates me i drive a little slower.no moron is every going to make me drive over the speed limit just because they want too

Why not just pull over and let them by instead of trying to prove a point and making a bad situation worse?
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

I AM doing the speed limit i am not trying to prove anything.and if that means i am stoping some goof from speeding maybe that means i could also be saving someones life down the street, so in your books the tailgater is doing nothing wrong, and the person doing the speed limit is trying to prove a point :thumbsdown:

welcome to kelowna people
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

the truth wrote:I AM doing the speed limit

No, you WERE doing the speed limit ...

the truth wrote:i always do the speed limit but when a goof tailgates me i drive a little slower

... until you decided to go slower than the speed limit and potentially aggravating an already apparently aggravated driver into possibly doing something more stupid then he already is.

the truth wrote:i am not trying to prove anything.

Hold on there ...

the truth wrote:and if that means i am stoping some goof from speeding maybe that means i could also be saving someones life down the street

... so you think your going to stop someone from speeding and save someones life - sounds like you're trying to prove something there.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

your so kelowna, i am doing the speed limit, but the tailgater is the good guy
tegotong

Post by tegotong »

But you are putting yourself in more danger - the more he tailgates the more likely it is that he will rear-end you if something happens and you have to stop or slow down quickly. Better to pull over and let some other poor sot deal with him. Especially big black trucks. I try to keep my distance from those guys.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

the truth wrote:your so kelowna,

Am I? Funny, my address tells me different.
the truth wrote:i am doing the speed limit, but the tailgater is the good guy

Yes, by me saying an aggravated driver can do something more stupid than they already are is me saying he's the good guy.

Here's the reality - neither of you are the "good guy". He's being an idiot, driving unsafe and you are making an unsafe situation even worse by purposely slowing down. Its one thing if you were to continue you the speed limit yet quite another to when ...

the truth wrote:i drive a little slower.

And since you've edited your last post ...

the truth wrote:so in your books the tailgater is doing nothing wrong,

Where did I say that?
the truth wrote:and the person doing the speed limit is trying to prove a point :thumbsdown:

Again, your words ...

the truth wrote:i drive a little slower.

the truth wrote:welcome to kelowna people

More like welcome to Castanet people ... where people don't read your post before they respond to it and twist and turn things to try and make an argument.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

the truth wrote:your so kelowna, i am doing the speed limit, but the tailgater is the good guy

You were the good guy until you said you make a point of slowing down.

Doing the speed limit
Slowing down simply to stick it to a tailgater

the truth wrote:i always do the speed limit but when a goof tailgates me i drive a little slower.no moron is every going to make me drive over the speed limit just because they want too

No one said you had to go over the speed limit. But how about maintaining the speed limit??
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

There's an old fart living in Rutland who drives a POS SUV covered in safety stickers like "Hang up and drive!" and "Buckle up!". He has a huge sign across the back "If you're passing me, you're speeding!". Likes to hang out in the left lane slowing everybody down, and drive slower than everybody with a huge feeling of superiority to everybody.

I wish I could slap people like this.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Captain Awesome wrote:There's an old fart living in Rutland who drives a POS SUV covered in safety stickers like "Hang up and drive!" and "Buckle up!". He has a huge sign across the back "If you're passing me, you're speeding!". Likes to hang out in the left lane slowing everybody down, and drive slower than everybody with a huge feeling of superiority to everybody.

I wish I could slap people like this.

We have a silver Hyundai driving in town like that here as well - it had one of those "Slow Down/Pace Car" bumper stickers on it. I've been behind him/her several times. Rarely uses a signal light, rarely comes to a complete stop at a stop sign and yes -speeds. LOL
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Always Sunny wrote:Doing the speed limit
Slowing down simply to stick it to a tailgater

Bingo - defensive driver 101.

Always Sunny wrote:No one said you had to go over the speed limit. But how about maintaining the speed limit??

And if someone behind you is doing something that makes you uncomfortable, pull over and let them by. You do this for 2 reasons ...

1) They are already driving aggressively, by provoking them even more you will only make them more aggressive. That makes the situation twice as dangerous. Better to take a deep breath, let them by so they can cool down themselves a bit.

2) Your attention is now more focused in your mirrors and with the vehicle behind you and not at the road infront of you where it should be.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

*removed*
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Dec 30th, 2015, 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off-topic.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

*removed*
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Dec 30th, 2015, 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Reply to removed post.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

*removed*
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Dec 30th, 2015, 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off-topic.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”