Just a tax grab?

Home of the traffic rant.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Re: Just a tax grab?

Post by KL3-Something »

Ok. But name a specific one please. I'd like to look into it and see how they go about it. They obviously aren't bound by the same rules as we are in Canada (i.e. The Charter and the Canada Evidence Act).
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

I'm sure that they do not have this photo radar from the front in UK. Even though it is mandatory to have plates front and back the speed cameras take a picture of rear of car as it passes through if over the specified limit. Same issue there as here to my knowledge in that if you are the owner but were not the driver you have to prove that it wasn't you and they will re issue ticket accordingly. They also have those SPECS cameras that measure vehicles average speed over a distance through construction zones and automatically issue tickets if drivers have been speeding even if their actual speed is ok when they pass the camera it calculates their average and again no photo of driver.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

KL3-Something wrote:Ok. But name a specific one please. I'd like to look into it and see how they go about it.

Germany.

Here's a few entertaining shots in the Bild Zeitung ...

http://www.bild.de/1414app/2015/1414-ap ... .bild.html

... the one real plus for confirming who is behind the wheel is for rental car companies - there's no way a driver can get out of the ticket.

Another interesting thing about driving in Europe is if you're driving there on foreign plates, lets say UK plates in Germany, and you get pulled over - you have to pay on the spot or your car will be impounded until you can make the payment. Some of the EU countries were working on a database system to enable payment at a later date, but I don't know how far that has evolved.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

LTD wrote:

not only do people lose focus but when they see a car on the side of the road everyone brakes which can create more of a hazard by interrupting the flow of traffic

That's only if they are stupid enough to be speeding and breaking the law in the first place.. People driving properly have no need to worry or slow down. People should try it some time it actually works.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

I couldn't understand those pictures. They were in a foreign language.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

Dizzy1 wrote:Germany.

... the one real plus for confirming who is behind the wheel is for rental car companies - there's no way a driver can get out of the ticket.

But i would have thought those were an easy ticket to collect on. The rental company has a signed agreement with named driver and his/her credit card as deposit, Any ticket arriving at their depot can easily be matched to a particular renter and if necessary money could be taken from their card, or at the very least they can be sent the fine.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

dodgerdodge wrote:But i would have thought those were an easy ticket to collect on. The rental company has a signed agreement with named driver and his/her credit card as deposit, Any ticket arriving at their depot can easily be matched to a particular renter and if necessary money could be taken from their card, or at the very least they can be sent the fine.

People try to get out of them all the time, and in some cases it ends up in court. The photo ID match simply gives the rental car company, or other companies with fleet vehicles, that extra measure of security getting the money from the right person. It also helps the car rentee from getting a ticket they didn't produce, its not uncommon for someone to end up with someone else's ticket.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Noshortageofdrivers

Post by Noshortageofdrivers »

Do you remember why photo radar was take out... because... premiere Gordon Campbell at the time was trying to get re-elected photo radar and the toll was taken off the Coquihalla as a promise to get your vote... and guess what... it worked, So theres safety out the window
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

That's only if they are stupid enough to be speeding and breaking the law in the first place.. People driving properly have no need to worry or slow down. People should try it some time it actually works.

doesn't make any difference if they're speeding or not when photo radar was here people would see the van or car and slow down creating a hazard it was especially bad on the coast long straight highway traffic cruising along happy photo radar van ahead everyone jumps on the brakes not very safe in my opinion
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Jan 25th, 2016, 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quote fixed.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I'm just saying that if everyone was driving the speed limit, no one would hit their breaks to start the chain reaction you talk about. However if that is still a problem then don't use a van use permanent or moveable cameras and there will be no problem. Lower the speed of the flow of traffic to the posed speed limit, wouldn't that be a novel idea. And then it will only be the stupid people who insisted on speeding that would have a problem. Would certainly work for me. Break the law suffer the consequences. It's called responsibility for your actions.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Smurf wrote:I'm just saying that if everyone was driving the speed limit, no one would hit their breaks to start the chain reaction you talk about.

Oh I'll disagree on that - there's a lot of nervous nellies out there that'll slam on the brakes out of sheer panic.
Smurf wrote:However if that is still a problem then don't use a van use permanent or moveable cameras and there will be no problem.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”