Turn On your Lights

Home of the traffic rant.
Noisy Boater
Übergod

Turn On your Lights

Post by Noisy Boater »

I am sure I am not the only one to see this but some of the new fangled autos now have dash lites that come on at dusk . I am sure its some sort of sensor. What ends up happening is you get in your car/truck start it up and head out. Driver thinks lights are on because dash lights are on. However its dash lights and daytime running lites only. No tail lights or licence plate light. This is a very dangerous situation. I have witnessed this on numerous occasions.
Did You Have A Big Bowl Of Stupid For Breakfast ? I Have 8 Billion Gazillion Likes.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Turn On your Lights

Post by Dizzy1 »

I've mentioned this numerous times with the instrument lights - even tho it's only the gauge lights that come on and none of the other dash lights (switches, dials, etc.) it's still kind of a dumb feature IMHO. Our cars have this feature as well but they have a sensor and the darker it gets outside, the dimmer the instrument lights go - so when it's dark outside, the gauges barely light up.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

If you cannot tell what brightness your lights are on you should get your eyes checked or consider public transit.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

The headlights on my car come on automatically when it gets dark out. All cars should be like this or just have the lights on permanently.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Yup. The earliest version I think was called sentinel lighting and my "old" even when I bought it Cadillac sedan had it. I thought it was a great feature.

Virtually every car I have had for the past 10 or 15 years has had it and it would be nice if it were standard. I jump in and go.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Rellic

Post by Rellic »

There is a reason the tail lights do not come on with the Day Time Running Lights.

Brian T.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Rellic wrote:There is a reason the tail lights do not come on with the Day Time Running Lights.

Brian T.

Enlighten us with your wisdom!!!
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Rellic

Post by Rellic »

dirtybiker wrote:
Enlighten us with your wisdom!!!

During Daylight Your Brake Lights are far more effective (noticed) by a following vehicle than they would be if Your Tail Lights were on.
After market kits available for collector or older vehicles instillation instructions explain this.

Brian T.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

mexicalidreamer wrote:Yup. The earliest version I think was called sentinel lighting and my "old" even when I bought it Cadillac sedan had it. I thought it was a great feature.

Virtually every car I have had for the past 10 or 15 years has had it and it would be nice if it were standard. I jump in and go.

I had a Chevy that had that - God I hated it. Every time you'd drive in a city and go through a shady area, the lights would come on, then off, then on, then off - yeeesh LOL

Rellic wrote:During Daylight Your Brake Lights are far more effective (noticed) by a following vehicle than they would be if Your Tail Lights were on.
After market kits available for collector or older vehicles instillation instructions explain this.

Brian T.

So you're saying that your brake lights are dimmer when your tail lights are on?
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Rellic

Post by Rellic »

So you're saying that your brake lights are dimmer when your tail lights are on?

No I'm not saying it, the designers of the system are claiming that during daylight hours when the tail of the car is already illuminated by the tail lights than the brake lights coming on are not as noticeable as they are with no illumination on the tail of the car.

Sorta like shining a two bulb flashlight in your eyes continuously with only one bulb on and than turning on the second bulb. which would you notice most, some light than more light or no light than light. I didn't design or approve the system I am just passing on what I know from installing DRL's in older pre DRL vehicles.

Sometimes it takes a lot of light to penetrate thick.

Brian T.
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Feb 10th, 2016, 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quote.
TheBoss
Fledgling

Post by TheBoss »

92 town car doesn't have dtrl. if it's foggy out i'll turn on the park lights. other than that i just have the auto feature turned on.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”