Dump Truck Bullies

Home of the traffic rant.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Dump Truck Bullies

Post by dirtybiker »

TheBoss wrote:This whole posting is a joke right?

I think you nailed it. Came on her posted a bunch of tripe and ran away.

Now sitting in his/her mommies basement giggling like some pathetic
little loser!
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Nasturtium
Board Meister

Post by Nasturtium »

LTD wrote:ya cry me a river some people have nothing better to do than whine I don't see any of the bs your cryin about and I spend more time on the roads than most

Grandan wrote:If you spent a little bit of time out of your vehicle and on your own two feet with a 40 or 50,000 kg truck roaring past you might have a different view. Some people have nothing better to do than put down people with a legitimate concern, something that is akin to a personal attack.
I don't spend any more time on the road than I need to and I don't need to spend any time at all to see that too many people drive too fast all the time. North Glenmore has a problem with trucks off truck route, doods that can't read because they drive past the sign that says "no trucks" all day long, why?
There is no respect because truckers in particular don't need to respect the laws of the road because they radio the location of a cop or bylaw and take evasive action until the way is clear. I see dozens if not a hundreds of dump trucks all day long driving past my house on a road designated no trucks.
The fact is, the city would rather see trucks anywhere because they are part of the jobs creation whereas residents only produce tax revenue.
Apparently they do not have time to monitor our area, there are more important areas of the city to monitor apparently, at least that is what the "nice lady" explained to me over the telephone in her scripted monologue.
The truck traffic bylaws are only a guideline, a suggestion, just like the speed limit.
The powerful business lobby, the guys that get the officials elected are calling the tune, the occasional ticket is really just for show.

I concur. Dump/cement trucks: O_ Building Supplies is ONE prime example, traveling both sides of High Road ("no truck" signage is clearly visable), I had reported these to the City of Kelowna, yet they continue to blow through here, regardless of the fact it is the primary crossing point for kids accessing school/sports fields. These dump/cement trucks coming from Winfield, use High Road as a short cut to Clifton, down to Clement, and back again, for construction work downtown.

High Road is also used by trucks supplying construction materials for three major building developments - Clifton Road North.

Development has to happen, what truckers do for a living is extremely important - routes for these, however, seem to be muddied by companies/individual truckers who care less about the neighbourhoods and roads they affect
We leak as rivers
spooker

Post by spooker »

Just watched a Waste Management trash truck cut off 2 cyclists who were riding north on Ethel when the truck decided to make a fast turn onto Lawrence ... thankfully both cyclists were able to slow down and not run into the truck ... doing a right-shoulder check from those large trucks is too tough to do?
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

spooker wrote:doing a right-shoulder check from those large trucks is too tough to do?

Depending on the configuration of the cab it can be hard to get visibility and sight line of the truck's blind spot. That's why you see signs on the back of bigger vehicles warning of blind spots. It's not like a car - the blind spots are big and you can't avoid the problem they pose making turns. But I would imagine that the cyclists would have at some point been ahead of the truck, so if the driver was looking around they'd have seen a potential hazard. Mirrors might have picked up the cyclists presence, too.

2c? Bad driving.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

spooker wrote:doing a right-shoulder check from those large trucks is too tough to do?

lightspeed wrote:
Depending on the configuration of the cab it can be hard to get visibility and sight line of the truck's blind spot. That's why you see signs on the back of bigger vehicles warning of blind spots. It's not like a car - the blind spots are big and you can't avoid the problem they pose making turns. But I would imagine that the cyclists would have at some point been ahead of the truck, so if the driver was looking around they'd have seen a potential hazard. Mirrors might have picked up the cyclists presence, too.

2c? Bad driving.

I rode my bike for many years in Vancouver, Victoria, Prince George and Kelowna. I learned to anticipate those nasty right turners. Many the day I would dodge the idiots and never fell victim. I learned to assume that anyone could turn in front of me at any moment.
During those times, there were few bikes on the road and usually there were no fancy green bike paths.
It is hard not to recognize the sound any engine makes when you remove your foot from the accelerator and if you stay alert you can sense that someone is going to brake and turn. I lived to tell about it. I was constantly aware that I could be run over at any time. I eventually gave it up due to the increasing dangers on the road and this was before cell phones were ever invented. I would hesitate to ride on a number of roads in Kelowna today, it is just not safe.
Waste not
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Saw a white garbage truck do the same thing today. Left turn into two lanes. Random kid on a bike, sketchy, no helmet, runs red light across the truck.

Driver would have to be blind not to see the kid as he approached the crosswalk to make the left turn. Could've stopped. Kid kept going. Close call, probably scary for kid. Might teach him a lesson. I'd have hit the brakes if I was driving, kids are too unpredictable. But they don't teach that stuff in driving schools. Licence says just go drive. Earn money, drive truck. Win.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
Nasturtium
Board Meister

Post by Nasturtium »

Started a new thread
We leak as rivers

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”