GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Speeding through school zones

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Bump
Remember this come September
http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#170461

So wake up Drivers come Tuesday, school zones go into effect. So slow down
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Don't forget the time change for school zones - starts at 7:30 am instead of 8:00 am.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

oneh2obabe wrote:Don't forget the time change for school zones - starts at 7:30 am instead of 8:00 am.

Someone inform the parents as they are some of the worst speeders in school zones!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Supposedly the signs were all changed to reflect the new time by the end of August - doesn't mean anybody will bother looking at them.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

oneh2obabe wrote:Supposedly the signs were all changed to reflect the new time by the end of August - doesn't mean anybody will bother looking at them.

Of course not, to busy checking out so & so on FB..... Twitter..... etc etc
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Unread postby Bsuds » Yesterday, 7:02 pm

Someone inform the parents as they are some of the worst speeders in school zones!

IMO you can add teachers to the "high percentage of offenders" list.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

http://www.ilstv.com/b-c-government-icb ... l-returns/

Every year, six children aged five to 18 walking, cycling or skateboarding are killed and 370 are injured in crashes throughout the province.*

With children returning to school this week, the B.C. government, ICBC and police are asking drivers to watch for children, especially in or around school zones and expect more traffic on our roads.
Every year, 72 children are injured in crashes in school and playground zones in B.C. Police and Speed Watch volunteers will be closely monitoring drivers’ speeds in school zones across the province to help children get a safe start to the school year.
Parents are encouraged to review the rules of the road with their children and go over their daily route to and from school.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Given the small number of El-Hi students who are killed and/or injured each year in BC (as compared to injuries and deaths from other causes) I wonder if the province would be financially justified in putting in those flashing roadside signs that give the "speed limit" and "your speed" which would be lit up only on days and during the time periods when the 30 kmh speeds actually apply ??

It would take the confusion out of drivers trying to figure out the exact dates and times that were actually school days.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Donald G wrote:http://www.ilstv.com/b-c-government-icbc-police-ask-drivers-parents-keep-children-safe-school-returns/

Every year, six children aged five to 18 walking, cycling or skateboarding are killed and 370 are injured in crashes throughout the province.*

With children returning to school this week, the B.C. government, ICBC and police are asking drivers to watch for children, especially in or around school zones and expect more traffic on our roads.
Every year, 72 children are injured in crashes in school and playground zones in B.C. Police and Speed Watch volunteers will be closely monitoring drivers’ speeds in school zones across the province to help children get a safe start to the school year.
Parents are encouraged to review the rules of the road with their children and go over their daily route to and from school.

Only 72 of those (according to the article) happened in school or playground scones - curious as to what relevance the other 298/6 children injured/killed have to do with school/playground zones?
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Unread postby Dizzy1 » Today, 12:19 pm

Only 72 of those (according to the article) happened in school or playground scones - curious as to what relevance the other 298/6 children injured/killed have to do with school/playground zones?

IMO it was only the luck of the draw that caused the unassociated child related accidents to take place elsewhere. It might condition drivers to slow down and/or pay more attention when they approach any playground area. School or otherwise.

I agree that I was a bit lazy transferring the concept.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Donald G wrote:
IMO it was only the luck of the draw that caused the unassociated child related accidents to take place elsewhere. It might condition drivers to slow down and/or pay more attention when they approach any playground area. School or otherwise.

I agree that I was a bit lazy transferring the concept.

LOL, it wasn't you.

I agree, everyone should be paying extra attention with kids - just found it odd that using statistics which include injuries on a crash on 97C would have been included.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

If Casorso Rd school zone is any indication then the drivers still don't understand the concept of slowing down in school zones!
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

I wonder how much of the speeding is because people do not realize that they are in a school zone and how much is because they consider the school zone law inapplicable, given what they see on the road as they drive through ??
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

From what I see which is usually when there are no kids outside that it's ignorance of the fact there is a school there.
I have also observed parents speeding to drop their kids off at school and that is just totally wrong!

I think speed bumps in all school zones would go a long way in slowing drivers and making them aware.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

"Unless you're a far-right neo-con xenophobe that hates the environment, you're going to drive 80 to 90 km/h through the school zones. It's far more efficient to drive at those speeds, and if you run kids over, you're doing the planet a favor by reducing the population."
~ Ingrid Newkirk
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”