Kelowna Driving Is Great Compared To;

Home of the traffic rant.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Kelowna Driving Is Great Compared To;

Post by Hmmm »

Since my comment was removed from the idiots thread, I thought I would just start a new topic in order to say what I have to say and get your thoughts as well.

It's funny and amazing how many people complain about the drivers in Kelowna, including myself in the past. Well no more. After traveling to England and the Middle East, I realize that driving here is very pleasant and much, much easier and better in about every way you can imagine. If you are one who thinks that there are so many idiots on the road here, my guess is, you have not traveled very much in your life. It's true, that traveling around the world really opens a persons eyes to things, and driving is one of them.

My advice would to be to watch some YouTube dash cam videos of some places and then sit back and enjoy the great driving and pleasant drivers we are surrounded with here in our wonderful part of the world, that many people truly do envy.

Enjoy your day and feel free to share your thoughts.
Last edited by Hmmm on Mar 26th, 2016, 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Kelowna Driving Is Great Compared To;

Post by Bsuds »

It has been many years but riding in a taxi in the Philippines was quite an experience.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Although I have never left our Continent I have logged more K's than
most people my age.
I still find the drivers here worse than anywhere I've traveled.
Mostly due to the general lack of self control on the part of the drivers
and
the lack of for-sight by our Governments.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

So, lowering one's expectations is the solution?

That's flawed thinking.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

As someone who has lived and driven just about as many kilometers throughout Europe as I have here, the majority of drivers here lack proper drivers education - while we see many people doing things they shouldn't be doing, a lot of them aren't doing it because they want to do it, they're doing it because they don't know they're not supposed to.

However, the Government is to blame just as much - there is way too much gray area when it comes to the motor vehicle act - way too much interpretation.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

how so
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

It has been a few years now, in fact over a decade since I have been to Great Britain and Europe, but I always thought their drivers were much better than ours. Much more courteous except possibly for Italy and Paris. The large cities like London and Paris are a bit difficult as are a lot of their roads, not because of the drivers, but because of the traffic. We found it no problem because the undergrounds were so simple, fast and cheap. I actually find a difference between here and the US. When we come home I notice an increase in stupid almost as soon as I cross the border. That is not saying much when you consider Yuma where we stay doubles in population with snowbirds in the winter. If you haven't been there you can only imagine an influx doubling the population of Kelowna with seniors who don't know the area and many are driving large dually diesels. I still prefer it to the Okanagan.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Bsuds wrote:It has been many years but riding in a taxi in the Philippines was quite an experience.

Compared to Jamaica, Kelowna drivers are pussycats. We travelled by local shuttles. No seatbelts, a piece of plywood for extra seating, seriously overloaded, bald tires and maniac driver. On the roadsides were wrecks that were just left to be stripped bare by the locals. Roads so narrow it was nearly impossible for a truck and a bus to pass without hitting each other ( we probably still have the shattered glass on our packsacks).
Waste not
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

LTD wrote:how so

How so what?
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Bsuds wrote:It has been many years but riding in a taxi in the Philippines was quite an experience.
Grandan wrote:Compared to Jamaica, Kelowna drivers are pussycats. We travelled by local shuttles. No seatbelts, a piece of plywood for extra seating, seriously overloaded, bald tires and maniac driver. On the roadsides were wrecks that were just left to be stripped bare by the locals. Roads so narrow it was nearly impossible for a truck and a bus to pass without hitting each other ( we probably still have the shattered glass on our packsacks).

The Jitneys (converted WW2 Jeeps) would go up on the sidewalks if the road was blocked. Making pedestrians dive for cover.

IconJeepney.JPG
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Sorry to go off topic but the taxi's remind me of a joke I once heard:

So this guy gets in a cab to go to the airport. The cabbie drives off and they start a bit of chit chat. They come up to a red light and the cabbie just flies right through it. The passenger starts freaking out and telling the cabbie that the light was red and wanted to know why he ran the light. The cabbie replies, don't worry about it sir, its much faster if I don't stop and it'll save you money. After a bit more chit chat they come up to another red light and sure enough, the cabbie flies right through it. Once again the passenger starts freaking out and the cabbie tells him not to worry. The chit chat starts again and the cabbie tells the passenger that his brother also has a cab and this and that. This time they come up to a green light, so the cabbie hits the brakes, comes to a complete stand still and just sits there. The passenger pipes up and explained to the driver that the light was green and asked why he's stopped there. The cabbie replies, well sir, we have to be careful because my brother might be coming the other way.

Ba da dum tsss!
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

However, the Government is to blame just as much - there is way too much gray area when it comes to the motor vehicle act - way too much interpretation.

how so
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Ive traveled to other countries like the Philippines, and Thailand where roads like the westside, and Hwy 33 would be considered normal, even Vancouver traffic is mellow compared too Bangkok or Manila. So it drives me nuts (no pun intended) when people complain about highways and roads in Canada being dangerous and something must be done to fix them.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

oh and I forgot Bali Indonesia

flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Tuk-tuks in Thailand, Speed demons in Malaysia, Emirati drivers in the UAE - no wonder I have grey hair!!

Never had a problem in Kelowna or Okanagan (drive like the other guy is out to kill you!) and here in Victoria driving is downright Placid!!
Chill

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”