Flashing headlights for deer warning ,etc.

Home of the traffic rant.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Flashing headlights for deer warning ,etc.

Post by Dizzy1 »

Donald G wrote:Not completely true.

Wildlife actually do PREDICTABLE things. That knowledge is the difference between people who have close calls and people who have accidents. Most people who regularly live and drive in wildlife country do not have accidents with wildlife. If everyone who drove hit wildlife there would be no wildlife left in Canada.

The only thing that is predictable about wildlife is that its unpredictable.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Saying wildlife is predictable is like saying you drive better drunk or while texting on your phone. You've been lucky so far but your time is coming.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

IMO near misses come as a result of Wildlife doing predictable things and the drivers being able to predict what the animal will do. WADR we are going to have to differ.

People who have not lived in Wildlife areas have no idea of what an animal will or will not do.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Driving to and fro from Victoria to Parksville, you encounter deer along the highways, on residential streets and in city parks. Driving through Provincial parks for the past 50 years I have encountered wildlife, domestic animals and driving in some of the most diverse 'wildlife' areas of different provinces, I have observed many different types of animals on or by roadways.

I have seen animals blithely walk onto a roadway (doesn't matter highway, city street or park) regardless of traffic. I have seen animals stop at a roadway and hesitate to cross but then suddenly dart across the road in front of a vehicle. I have also seen animals calmly grazing at a roadside, not the least bit interested in crossing a roadway.

I have yet to see an animal (deer, elk, moose, bear, mountain goat/sheep or even a domestic animal/dog/cat/cow/sheep/horse) where I could in every respect PREDICT that the animal would not suddenly move in front of my vehicle (or any other vehicle).

Ergo, animal behavior on any roadway is simply NOT predictable.
Chill
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Exactly, I was brought up in a country/farming community with every type of domestic and wild animal you could think of in the area and I have not seen one that was predictable. We actually has a large buck jump off one of the highest hill in the prairies around Regina and slam right into the side of our 1950 Meteor. We did not even see him coming because of the one hill within miles. I have no idea how we could have predicted that. Maybe Donald G could tell me.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

What happens in Saskatchewan stays in Saskatchewan Smurf. Rutting season or downhill skiing season ??
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

One of the most dangerous drivers on the road are those who believe that they have complete control over the environment around them and they confuse luck with their delusional perception that its all them and their skills.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”