Lower the speed limit to 30km?

Home of the traffic rant.
nikonfan
Fledgling

Re: Lower the speed limit to 30km?

Post by nikonfan »

Typical salution of the nuts running the asylum. Lower the limit for all the incompetence out there. Those are the same folks who think giving trophies and ribbons to all kids so the losers don't feel bad. Like the gun zealots who want to take the guns away from all law abiding citizens in the hopes that the criminals will freely give theirs up to.... Ya right!
spooker

Post by spooker »

nikonfan wrote:... Lower the limit for all the incompetence out there. ...

No one seems to get it, this isn't about trying to lower the number of accidents that happen in "urban" areas, those are going to happen for all the idiots that leave their places of residence to go somewhere else ... the issue it's trying to solve is the number of deaths and level of destruction from the inevitable accidents.

The data shows that someone not in a vehicle hit at 50kph has a 80-90% chance of dying ... look at the data for collisions at 30kph and the chance of dying goes down to 15-20% ... when you are a pedestrian or cyclist (and I expect everyone is one of these every so often, can't drive a car into the local supermarket) would you like to have a better chance of surviving the idiot who's going to hit you?

And arguing "at 30kph I'm going to get bored and become a worse driver" is really weak ... and if you do the math, for the short distances this speed limit change will affect, you won't really notice it unless you're staring at your second hand and not paying attention to the road anyway .,..,
Eires

Post by Eires »

spooker wrote:
No one seems to get it, this isn't about trying to lower the number of accidents that happen in "urban" areas, those are going to happen for all the idiots that leave their places of residence to go somewhere else ... the issue it's trying to solve is the number of deaths and level of destruction from the inevitable accidents.

The data shows that someone not in a vehicle hit at 50kph has a 80-90% chance of dying ... look at the data for collisions at 30kph and the chance of dying goes down to 15-20% ... when you are a pedestrian or cyclist (and I expect everyone is one of these every so often, can't drive a car into the local supermarket) would you like to have a better chance of surviving the idiot who's going to hit you?

And arguing "at 30kph I'm going to get bored and become a worse driver" is really weak ... and if you do the math, for the short distances this speed limit change will affect, you won't really notice it unless you're staring at your second hand and not paying attention to the road anyway .,..,

No need to lower it to 30kmh for the incompetence in BC. Cyclists/Pedestrians/Motorists use your eyes and common sense.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

One big problem there, there doesn't seem to be much "common sense" floating around these days. I mean bikers, pedestrians, drivers, you name it. A ton more stupidity than common sense.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Smurf wrote:One big problem there, there doesn't seem to be much "common sense" floating around these days. I mean bikers, pedestrians, drivers, you name it. A ton more stupidity than common sense.

If thats the problem then thats what needs to be addressed.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

How do you propose to address stupid.

EDIT TO ADD:

Speeders (that means over the speed limit), tailgater's, Lane hogs, Cell phone users, drinker/drug users, J walkers, distracted drivers and walkers, and any number of others..

Just give me an idea how to cure it other than let nature take it's course.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Smurf wrote:How do you propose to address stupid.

EDIT TO ADD:

Speeders (that means over the speed limit), tailgater's, Lane hogs, Cell phone users, drinker/drug users, J walkers, distracted drivers and walkers, and any number of others..

Just give me an idea how to cure it other than let nature take it's course.

I don't know what the options are, I never suggested that. But if its a problem, then it needs to be addressed by figuring out how to address it. A start might be with much stricter guidelines in getting a license in the first place, more aggressive training and maybe even an aptitude test. Might be a start, I don't know.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I would for sure agree with all of that. Maybe add on regular testing for all drivers or at the very least any time they get a point on their licence or are involved in any sort of at fault accident. Make getting and keeping a licence much tougher and an actual responsibility.

Bikers could be required to have a licence and insurance. They could be ticketed the same as regular drivers. Serious offences could affect their drivers licence. I don't know what you could do about kids and would not want to take away their bikes as that is just part of growing up.

Pedestrians are another whole story. If they cause an accident they could be fined for sure but it is hard to control stupid walking. Younger children will always be a problem because they will always run out unexpectedly. That is where drivers speed comes in. Although I don't fully agree with it I am going to have to admit that stopping in an instant from 30 is going to be a lot easier than from 50 and as they say if you don't stop there is a much higher chance of survival.

Accidents will always happen, that is why they are called accidents. How many on here can say they have never been in some sort of accident even if it was minor. I have never been in an accident where I had any fault, but I have been hit a couple of times. My old 1970 Chev Impala parked in front of our house wrote off a young ladies car when she lost control on ice. I had a lot of work getting her paint off the back bumper. Lucky she never bent it. Maybe at 30 km her car would have survived?

spooker

Post by spooker »

Smurf wrote:I would for sure agree with all of that. Maybe add on regular testing for all drivers or at the very least any time they get a point on their licence or are involved in any sort of at fault accident. Make getting and keeping a licence much tougher and an actual responsibility.

As a driver I'd have no problem with this, the balance is what does that add to the overhead of the administration. Convincing people that affecting their pocketbook with taxes or fees directed here will be balanced out by savings via lower MSP or insurance rates. Sadly it's human nature to react negatively when it affects yourself ...

Smurf wrote:Bikers could be required to have a licence and insurance. They could be ticketed the same as regular drivers. Serious offences could affect their drivers licence. I don't know what you could do about kids and would not want to take away their bikes as that is just part of growing up.

Education needs to start in the elementary schools, my daughter got her first bike at 19 months and her pedals at 3 1/2 but there is no way she's getting let loose for many many years and more kilometres on the road with me ... and while there are a lot of people (I've heard this from people I respect too) saying that licensing and insurance I'd like to point out the other side of that: http://www.bikecalgary.org/licensing ... though there are plenty of times that I want to stop a cyclist and get them to think about the whole picture as to why what they're doing is stupid and dangerous ...

Smurf wrote:Although I don't fully agree with it I am going to have to admit that stopping in an instant from 30 is going to be a lot easier than from 50 and as they say if you don't stop there is a much higher chance of survival.

We don't have to agree to something to go along with it ... pretty much describes how my marriage has lasted this long :D
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Maybe this is a start and will hopefully make our roads a bit safer. Hopefully more people will be watching or pedestrians or children instead of texting. However we still have the stupidity factor.

http://www.castanet.net/news/BC/165299/ ... istraction

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”