Lower the speed limit to 30km?

Home of the traffic rant.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Re: Lower the speed limit to 30km?

Post by LTD »

roads are for driving not playing responsible parents and pet owners don't allow little johnny or little fido to run around in the streets when we were kids we were taught that guess nobody does that now because nobody's responsible, now its always someone else's fault.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

LTD wrote:roads are for driving not playing responsible parents and pet owners don't allow little johnny or little fido to run around in the streets when we were kids we were taught that guess nobody does that now because nobody's responsible, now its always someone else's fault.

Ok .... I don't let my kids play on a hyway. or a major thoroughfare for that matter.. But a residential street is different .
Don't tell me you've never jumped on your bike and pedalled on the "street" in front of your place OR played road hockey...

This "roads are for driving" attitude is what is the problem if you ask me .. YOU think that because it's paved , no one but an automobile driver has a right to be there ...

Too many of you is why a doctor feels the need to be a cop and the head asshat of ICBC.
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

ya I rode my bike on the street still do however I was taught to watch for traffic and ride on the side of the road because the road contains MOTORCARS THAT WILL HURT WHEN THEY HIT ME get the picture seems no one teaches their precious little f##k trophies that anymore so everyone else should pay the price for pathetic parenting.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Dizzy1 wrote:

So going 5kmh over the limit isn't the problem then?

No one said it was.

LTD what about the people who pay for the pathetic drivers that won't obey the laws. Quite often they pay with their lives. Deflecting to everything else does not excuse bad driving.
Last edited by Smurf on Apr 4th, 2016, 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

once again lets lower the bar to accomidate the lowest common denominator instead of bringing them up to the next level not really the answer is it they will still be a bad driver
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

That is life. I can't imagine we will ever see the day when there are only good drivers on the roads, but as I said earlier there would sure be a lot less traffic.

When you're dead you don't know you're dead. It's only difficult for others. It's the same way when you're stupid.

EDIT TO ADD:

The same thing goes for children, pedestrians, whomever. I doubt they will ever all be good and therefore we will probably always be compensating for them even though we are perfect.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Smurf wrote: I doubt they will ever all be good and therefore we will probably always be compensating for them even though we are perfect.

What's this "we" stuff. I prefer to narrow that down quite a bit! :130:

I have no idea why they keep making up new laws and restrictions when it seems very little gets
enforced anyways.

Maybe a Constable could ride with me for a day and actually see what goes on out on
the roadways.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I got it, the new tolls being batted around. Could be used to pay for extra patrols to keep speed limit at 30km. lol

Added: this whole 30km is a very foolish idea
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

LTD wrote:ya I rode my bike on the street still do however I was taught to watch for traffic and ride on the side of the road because the road contains MOTORCARS THAT WILL HURT WHEN THEY HIT ME get the picture seems no one teaches their precious little f##k trophies that anymore so everyone else should pay the price for pathetic parenting.

So , you're the ONLY one that does that ????

I tell my kids to stay safe because there will ALWAYS be assjoles who think that the roads are for JUST them .... I tell them that because we live on a quiet street where shatheads like YOU should know better , they still think that going 60or 70 is their right ...

That's straight up .
Last edited by MAPearce on Apr 4th, 2016, 5:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

LTD wrote:ya I rode my bike on the street still do however I was taught to watch for traffic and ride on the side of the road because the road contains MOTORCARS THAT WILL HURT WHEN THEY HIT ME get the picture seems no one teaches their precious little f##k trophies that anymore so everyone else should pay the price for pathetic parenting.

This folks , right here ...

It's why our cops are overworked AND underpaid......

Slow down , obey the laws and remind yourself that when you were a kid , people understood that kids needed a place to just ride a bike .... OR play hockey on a street ,never mind "kick the can"....

You think that parents let their *bleep* trophies play on a center line on a hiway or even a secondary road ??
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

first off where did i say I speed through neighborhoods I'm opposed to lowering it for challenged folks like yourself that have trouble you wish to hurl obscenities at me you feel free to pm me and I WILL stop by and that is straight up
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

Just to be clear; I feel a lower speed limit for residential streets - key word: residential - would not be the end of the world and may possibly save a life or two. 50 is fine for feeder roads, main roads etc.
And no, I do not think the street is a playground except for road hockey but again kids are kids. My neighborhood has quite a few kids and they are all running, riding back and forth to each others homes or the park and sometimes that fun spills out onto the road. Do they know better? Sure. But stuff happens when kids start playing.
I do accept the argument that idiots that speed now are unlikely to slow down and that is the shame about our me, me, me society.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Smurf wrote:
No one said it was.

Sure sounds like you've got a beef with the "crappy" drivers doing 5 clicks over the limit to me ...

Smurf wrote:Why limit it to the ones who are a danger at 50, why not get all the bad crappy drivers off the road. The ones that drive 55 in a 50, or speed in a school zone. We would certainly cut down on traffic if we got rid of all the crappy drivers that break the law.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

LTD wrote:first off where did i say I speed through neighborhoods I'm opposed to lowering it for challenged folks like yourself that have trouble you wish to hurl obscenities at me you feel free to pm me and I WILL stop by and that is straight up

You seem to think that the road is just for you , that you're the only one that was taught to keep safe and that parents don't teach their "*bleep* trophies" any more...

And you directed all of that at me ... Seems to me that it's people like you that are the scourge of our road ways and why a doctor thinks it's a good idea to reduce speed limits to a ridiculously low speed ...

He may be on to something... If ya can't fix stupid , might as well try it to keep it from killing others .
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Yes Dizzy I do have a beef with them but they are not the problem, or at least not the whole problem. It is the me,me, attitude that goes along with speeding, breaking laws of any sort no matter how minor. Why do people feel that they can decide what their personal speed limit is or for that matter their personal rules/laws are. We taxpayers pay fortunes for people to write and enforce these laws and then we have a bunch of brain dead idiots that feel they can rewrite them just for themselves because of whatever reason they can think of to justify it. We complain about lack of enforcement and then we deliberately break laws ( yes driving any amount over the speed limit is technically breaking the law)and cause those trying to enforce them to be overworked. While we do that we call other people dumb or whatever else we can think of.

When I think of this type of thing I go back to my safety and union experience and a perfect example would be years ago when smoking bans were being phased in. We had some problems on work sites and campsites that could easily have been fixed, however there was a small crowd of smokers that figured one little cigarette here or there would not be a problem. Guess what instead of being able to work together and come to a reasonable solution the rules ended up coming down hard. Sound familiar.

Think about it, the problem might not be so bad but the attitude behind it is a total disaster.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”