Speed trap on Okanagan Lake bridge

Home of the traffic rant.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Speed trap on Okanagan Lake bridge

Post by Dizzy1 »

Ok ...

I posted the law according to the MVA on page 3, feel free to read it (and Gordon posted the jist of it as well).

The rule is if the speed limit is 80km/h the left land hog law applies - regardless if one thinks that being in city limits makes a difference (law wise). The BC MVA pretty much defines every public roadway as a "highway".

The exceptions to the rules are that you may travel in the left lane if preparing to make a left turn, traffic is merging into the right lane or you are overtaking vehicles in the left lane.

Now, in the real world, when there is bumper to bumper traffic, obviously it won't work regardless of what "highway" you are on. Hwy 97, Hwy 1, Hwy 5 - bumper to bumper traffic is just that and once you've cleared it, then its back to the right lane you go.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
daveandanne
Übergod

Post by daveandanne »

Dizzy1 You are correct and I was trying to state that in some cases as the saying goes [the law is an *bleep*] and we must not donkey around on it. Common sense helps most of the time and I myself hate that left Suicide ,crash and destroy lane and try to avoid it at all costs as there is no escape from an impending crash like the right lane which has the bicycle lane and or ditch to drive into in an emergency especially in Winter or snow and ice conditions. This escape route is my favorite habit and you are also right on in looking far ahead and also behind but the right lane is the safest if You notice in the accidents most are in the left lane which obstructs ones view of the dangers ahead as You have a difficult time to see around the vehicle ahead and like the top of bridge hill the curve is to the right so your view is partly to the left and the result in a fast stop leaves you into a very fast but unavoidable rear ender. I do not need a law of any kind to tell me how to drive safe but only to guide Me to my destination in a safe and proper manner.
nikonfan
Fledgling

Post by nikonfan »

"Gotcha tax road traps" and left lane hogs will soon be mute issues. The traffic increase in the last week shows us once again how inadequate and poorly planned our road system in the Okanagan is. I don't know why there is not a revolt on by the citizens. We are taxed to death at every turn, our gas prices are one of the highest in Canada. Our local and provincial politicians love to spend our money and crap most of us will never use yet the ones who pay for all this crap have to keep driving on roads designed for the population of 50 years ago. All these granola crunchers worrying about global warming and what type of light bulbs we should be using don't ever talk about all the cars just sitting with their motors running at endless lights from Osoyoos to Vernon. Why can't the idiots in power get to work on a designated highway with no lights, no shopping malls cluttering the road systems, no school zones. Peachland is a mess and needed to be 4 lanes 10 years ago, ( the nuts spouting off about a high line bypass must all be smoking the most profitable crop in the Okanagan) West Kelowna is a ghost town that needs to be bypassed, Gellatly, Butt, Boucherie, Westside and the rest needs overpasses. Why can't the idiots in power not realize that the longer they wait the more expensive it will be not only cost to build but tourism, commerce, accidents, road rage and stress levels. While I am at it why in the hell is there road work on Friday afternoon on HWY 97? The same crew was in Peachland Wednesday but they were working at 9:30 pm? Why would they think Friday afternoon would be ok on 97 at Boucherie? Obviously more incompetence at MOT!
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

nikonfan wrote:All these granola crunchers worrying about global warming and what type of light bulbs we should be using don't ever talk about all the cars just sitting with their motors running at endless lights from Osoyoos to Vernon. Why can't the idiots in power get to work on a designated highway with no lights

Just synchronizing the lights is a step in the right direction. Other countries have the light synced so when the light goes green, a speed will show you what speed to travel (i.e: 30km/h, 50km/h) in order to hit the next light and its green. Systems like that have been used in Europe for decades and its wonderful. I've tried "The Wave" on Springfield and driven the required 50km/h and hit a red light every light.

Even here in Vegas, you drive up and down the strip with the mind boggling traffic - the lights are synced so you have a good chance of getting from Mandalay Bay to Treasure Island with minimal stand still. Helps for with cab fare as well.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”