Speed trap on Okanagan Lake bridge

Home of the traffic rant.
logman
Übergod

Speed trap on Okanagan Lake bridge

Post by logman »

Did anyone else witness this this morning?
I went into Kelowna at around 9:30 am Saturday morning and the RCMP were set up with radar on the Kelowna side of the bridge. They were pulling people into the tiny pullout on the kelowna side of the bridge. It was jammed with cop cars and tow trucks and speeders. I'm glad to see the enforcement of speed limits but it sure was a dangerous spot to set up. Am wondering if the risk to officers and the public is worth what they did there this morning. I have not heard of any accidents on the bridge deck. Maybe leaving well enough alone is better than what they tried to do this morning?
I left kelowna less than an hour later and they were gone.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Speed trap on Okanagan Lake bridge

Post by Dizzy1 »

I've seen this several times - most notably on Hwy 97 by Crystal Waters Rd - you come around a corner and bam, parked cars pulled over in both the right and left hand exit lanes - completely unsafe and irresponsible IMHO.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

An officer walked out in front of the vehicle beside me with his hand in the air to stop. It startled me and I was not the one being stopped. He looked angry as the driver was also confused. What did all the *bleep* at the bridge actually help?
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

They usually do it on the other side of the bridge - much more space there. Pulling people over on Kelowna side is just irresponsible. Not enough space for officers, pulled over vehicles, etc.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Even Steven wrote: Pulling people over on Kelowna side is just irresponsible.

Well if so many didn't speed then no one would get pulled over.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Bsuds wrote:Well if so many didn't speed then no one would get pulled over.

And until that day happens - there's nothing wrong in being a bit more responsibility and thoughtful into the locations and for the safety of the officers and rest of us who share the roadway.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

One of the best ones I've seen was on Hwy 97 southbound by the mill and auction house just south of Armstrong. This was before the highway was widened. Anyway, the cops set up a speed trap about half way down the hill - the kicker was that that whole side of the road had "No Stopping" signs posted along the whole hill. Go figure - those signs were there for a reason.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Whats all the fuss, since that traffic should only be doing 50Kph. 60Kph does happen until your over halfway around the curve just before the bridge.
Oh no are you saying will need to lower to 30Kph. lol
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

GordonH wrote:Whats all the fuss, since that traffic should only be doing 50Kph. 60Kph does happen until your over halfway around the curve just before the bridge.

Isn't the pull out after that curve? I could be mistaken, but I think the OP is referring to the one where the tow truck usually sits.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Whats all the fuss, since that traffic should only be doing 50Kph. 60Kph does happen until your over halfway around the curve just before the bridge.

Dizzy1 wrote:Isn't the pull out after that curve? I could be mistaken, but I think the OP is referring to the one where the tow truck usually sits.

Yes, but moment you see that 60Kph sign you would also see all the police.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

GordonH wrote:
Yes, but moment you see that 60Kph sign you would also see all the police.

Not unless they moved the sign ...

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.8814818, ... 312!8i6656

Regardless, if its dangerous or not, I can't say - I'd have to see it in operation to make that call.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Yes, but moment you see that 60Kph sign you would also see all the police.

Dizzy1 wrote:Not unless they moved the sign ...

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.8814818, ... 312!8i6656

Those drivers in outer lane would not, other 2 lanes should. The few times a year I travel across the bridge I notice once drivers pass by Abbott st traffic light, they nail gas pedal (even though speed limit on the bridge is only 60Kph).

I suspect those are the ones police want to nail with a ticket.
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

They were using the pull out at the east end of the bridge near what I think is called mushroom beach. They had a guy with the radar gun up near the top of the hump and would get drivers coming up and over as they headed in to Kelowna. Long straight away before the pull out. As they had the pull out full they were not pulling more drivers over. Lots people with heavy feet in this town and there may not be many accidents on the bridge deck but I personally, am glad to see some traffic enforcement for a change.
TheBoss
Fledgling

Post by TheBoss »

No one does 60 going over the bridge, it's 80-100 easily, either keep with flow of traffic or run the risk of being rear ended. I try to keep within the speed limit, sometimes i'm just not wanting the risk of being rear ended by someone doing 80-100.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

Cars stopped and tow trucks? That tells me they were stopping people going at least 105km/hr. They probably didn't touch anyone going under 85-90.

Sounds like they need to set up there more often.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”