Lady Follows GPS, drives in to Lake Huron

Home of the traffic rant.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Lady Follows GPS, drives in to Lake Huron

Post by Glacier »

You can't make this stuff up...

An Ontario woman blindly followed her car’s GPS straight into Lake Huron. While it sank, she swam to shore

TOBERMORY, Ont. — Police say following the instructions from a GPS on a foggy night left an Ontario woman taking an unplanned swim in Lake Huron.

Ontario Provincial Police say the 23-year-old woman from Kitchener, Ont., was following a route on her car’s GPS while driving in the dark on Thursday night in Tobermory, Ont.

They say she made a turn that took her straight into Little Tub Harbour on the shores of Lake Huron, where her car sank about 30 metres from shore.

Police say the woman was able to roll down the window and swim to safety in frigid water temperatures of 4 C.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Lady Follows GPS, drives in to Lake Huron

Post by LANDM »

Wow, that was straight off an episode of The Office a few years ago. Michael was driving with Dwight Schrute and he did the same thing. :D
You and 71 others Like this post
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Never trust A GPS! They are wrong too often.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Begs the question: What the hell was she thinking, my GPS must know my car can float. lol
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

GordonH wrote:Begs the question: What the hell was she thinking, my GPS must know my car can float. lol

Begs the question, if this were a driverless car following GPS - what would the legalities of the accident be?
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
TimmyE
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by TimmyE »

Did the driver have any common sense? Or doesn't that count anymore? You're heading towards the water and it didn't dawn on the driver to stop instead of getting wet. I can hear a lawsuit coming against the manufacturer of the GPS.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

TimmyE wrote:Did the driver have any common sense? Or doesn't that count anymore? You're heading towards the water and it didn't dawn on the driver to stop instead of getting wet. I can hear a lawsuit coming against the manufacturer of the GPS.

Being dark and foggy at the time was also a factor.

This isn't the first time this has happened either. Just a few examples ...

http://theweek.com/articles/464674/8-dr ... o-disaster
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

The GPS in our new car tries to take us in the wrong direction more often than not.
I would not trust it anywhere I am not all ready familiar with. It's not even easy to use. The best part of the system is the hands free for the phone. It works well and only has 1 flaw in that it will only connect to 1 phone at a time.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Bsuds wrote:The GPS in our new car tries to take us in the wrong direction more often than not.

Mine did that as well, so now I just leave her at home or she takes her own car :138:
TimmyE
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by TimmyE »

I guess it's back to reading maps and using some common sense.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Bsuds wrote:The GPS in our new car tries to take us in the wrong direction more often than not.
Dizzy1 wrote:Mine did that as well, so now I just leave her at home or she takes her own car :138:

Verminator
Board Meister

Post by Verminator »

I would not trust it anywhere I am not all ready familiar with. It's not even easy to use. The best part of the system is the hands free for the phone. It works well and only has 1 flaw in that it will only connect to 1 phone at a time.

I have a basic $100 Garmin GPS in my car and it's been remarkably accurate and easy to use. The $800 OEM unit in my brother's new car is another story, however. We tested it one day by punching in a destination - the voice recognition system, well, didn't - and instead of taking a left turn at a controlled intersection, the damn thing actually told us to turn right and then make a U-turn on a busy highway! :200: Thank Gawd we weren't anywhere near the water... :biggrin:
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Perhaps the GPS is calibrated to assess the driver's safe driving ability and direct the problem drivers to an area NOT on any roadway, as per the photograph ?? Directing such drivers to keep making "U" Turns on a busy Highway would be a much more harsh way of eliminating such drivers from the roadway on a more permanent basis.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Donald G wrote:Perhaps the GPS is calibrated to assess the driver's safe driving ability and direct the problem drivers to an area NOT on any roadway, as per the photograph ?? Directing such drivers to keep making "U" Turns on a busy Highway would be a much more harsh way of eliminating such drivers from the roadway on a more permanent basis.

Which leads us to the question as to why there are still so many stupid drivers out there?
Are they not paying attention to the directions their GPS is giving them?

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”