Alberta Plates.

Home of the traffic rant.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Re: Alberta Plates.

Post by Donald G »

Unread postby alfred2 » Today, 11:25 am

suds has a bee in his bonnet,

Bees are needed. Especially when you live in Wild Rose Country and produce food for the world.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I notice that one of my neighbours has had Alberta plates on his truck for years even though he lives here. I can only assume he does it to save money, or perhaps he has a second residence in Alberta that he lives at 3 days a year.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Verminator
Board Meister

Post by Verminator »

Glacier wrote:I notice that one of my neighbours has had Alberta plates on his truck for years even though he lives here. I can only assume he does it to save money, or perhaps he has a second residence in Alberta that he lives at 3 days a year.

I see an employee car with Alberta plates parked at the Vernon Canadian Tire store that's been there for at least a couple of years and I often wonder how insurance would be affected if the owner was involved in a crash. Is it really true that only 3 days residence per year in Alberta is enough to keep coverage current?
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I don't know the requirement, but I'm pretty sure there are dozens of people in the Okanagan that are claiming to be Alberta residents when they aren't just so they can get cheap insurance.
Last edited by Glacier on Aug 9th, 2016, 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

There is someone with a boat on our street with AB plates on it. Not even an up to date decal.
If these people are scamming the system I hope they get caught!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Verminator wrote:
I see an employee car with Alberta plates parked at the Vernon Canadian Tire store that's been there for at least a couple of years and I often wonder how insurance would be affected if the owner was involved in a crash. Is it really true that only 3 days residence per year in Alberta is enough to keep coverage current?

If they are not a student then they are not legal if they are permanent residents. They probably won't be covered if involved in an accident. You know how picky ICBC can be. Anything to get out of paying.
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

can someone please tell me who changed auto ins. to govt. ins. , and when did it occur.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

The Yellow plates of the 70,s were not a new thing, they had them in 33 for trucks, maybe earlier..
I know that because I have a set of 1933 truck plates in an unopened bag.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Verminator
Board Meister

Post by Verminator »

On Thanksgiving we drove to Sicamous to spend the day with a friend. Traffic on Hwy97 was pretty heavy and got noticeably worse the closer we got to Hwy1. Somewhere between Enderby and Mara I noticed a vehicle coming up behind me really quickly, going so fast it drifted over the center line on the curves a few times. It finally passed me - on a double-solid - and sure enough it had an Alberta plate. Not 30 seconds later another one passed me, then another and another until I counted six of them, all with Alberta plates. Once they went by they jostled for position with one another, passing on blind curves and just generally behaving like a$$holes, one of them barely missing a head-on. :200: Funny thing, not one of these rubes got to Sicamous more than half a minute ahead of me. [icon_lol2.gif] YER ALL F@#*ING IDIOTS !!
Last edited by Verminator on Oct 19th, 2016, 8:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Verminator wrote:On Thanksgiving we drove to Sicamous to spend the day with a friend. Traffic on Hwy97 was pretty heavy and got noticeably worse the closer we got to Hwy1. Somewhere between Enderby and Mara I noticed a vehicle coming up behind me really quickly, going so fast it drifted over the center line on the curves a few times. It finally passed me - on a double-solid - and sure enough it had an Alberta plate. Not 30 seconds later another one passed me, then another and another until I counted six of them, all with Alberta plates. Once they went by they jostled for position with one another, passing on blind curves and just generally behaving like a$$holes, one of them barely missing a head-on. :200: Funny thing, not one of these rubes got to Sicamous more than half a minute ahead of me. [icon_lol2.gif] YER ALL F@#*ING IDIOTS !!

the worst is when someone moves from Alberta and first switches to BC plates. Then they are Albertans in disguise you can't even see them coming

[icon_lol2.gif]
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

The worse is idiots you can nottell that they are from bc. [icon_lol2.gif]
lostsurferinbc
Fledgling

Post by lostsurferinbc »

LTD wrote:alberta plates will still be easy to spot due to the handicapped driving abilities

funny, I feel the same way when I see vehicle dealer badges from the okanagan.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

alfred2 wrote:The worse is idiots you can nottell that they are from bc. [icon_lol2.gif]

When they are idiot drivers it doesn't much matter where they are from but they are easily recognized.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Bsuds wrote:"Verminator" : I see an employee car with Alberta plates parked at the Vernon Canadian Tire store that's been there for at least a couple of years and I often wonder how insurance would be affected if the owner was involved in a crash. Is it really true that only 3 days residence per year in Alberta is enough to keep coverage current?

If they are not a student then they are not legal if they are permanent residents. They probably won't be covered if involved in an accident. You know how picky ICBC can be. Anything to get out of paying.

There's always something to say negative about ICBC, isn't there. Ironically just about the only insurance company NOT involved, if this person is a resident of BC and hasn't registered their vehicle in BC, is ICBC. Except for the fact if they hit you, ICBC WILL cover you even though the insurance on their Alberta vehicle is invalid and ICBC will go after the Alberta driver.

There is a lot of misinformation about when vehicles MUST be registered (and thus insured) in BC.

- One have 6 months to use a vehicle from outside BC, inside BC if they are "touring", other than touring they have 30 days from the date they began using the vehicle in BC.
- A full time student attending an approved educational institution is exempt

As for Driver's Licenses. If a person is "ordinarily resident" in BC they have 90 days to get a BC DL, period. Doesn't matter when they came and went to/from BC, it's the jurisdiction were they are ordinarily resident. Pretty easy to determine that if they are working here, have a cell phone here, rent a place, etc, etc.

Driving an mis-registered / uninsured vehicle isn't a good idea. There isn't an insurance company in the world who wouldn't investigate and get to the truth. The Alberta private insurer would figure it out pretty quick and deny any claim. If the Alberta vehicle was at fault and damaged a BC vehicle or hurt a BC resident, the Alberta insurance company would deny coverage and ICBC's uninsured motorist protection would pay for the BC vehicle and ICBC would go after the uninsured Alberta driver.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”