Stopping at STOP signs?

Home of the traffic rant.
Dawggss

Stopping at STOP signs?

Post by Dawggss »

Just curious - when did it become the norm to not stop at Red Lights or Stop signs when making a right hand turn?
Next time you're out and about, take note of the common failure to actually bring the vehicle to a halt in these situations.
What's up?
Also - just because you are behind me, and I've stopped at the stop sign before turning, it doesn't mean you don't have to stop when moving forward to the Stop sign! My obeyancemof the law isn't coverage for you as well . . .
Come on folks!
“Left vs Right is an out-dated concept and an oversimplification of the 21st Century.” James Morcan

“What if I told you that the Left Wing and the Right Wing belong to the same bird?”
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Re: Stopping at STOP signs?

Post by Hmmm »

Dawggss wrote:Just curious - when did it become the norm to not stop at Red Lights or Stop signs when making a right hand turn?
Next time you're out and about, take note of the common failure to actually bring the vehicle to a halt in these situations.
What's up?
Also - just because you are behind me, and I've stopped at the stop sign before turning, it doesn't mean you don't have to stop when moving forward to the Stop sign! My obeyancemof the law isn't coverage for you as well . . .
Come on folks!

I noticed the same thing. People treat a red light or a stop sign when turning right, as a merge lane and don't even slow down sometimes. :135:
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

I noticed that drivers stop and merge signs and merge at stop signs. Maybe it's a case of mass dyslexia.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Just perfecting the old "Hollywood roll" (cruising through a stop sign) hoping nobody notices.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Dawggss wrote:Just curious - when did it become the norm to not stop at Red Lights or Stop signs when making a right hand turn?
What's up?
Come on folks!

Then there are those who don't pay any attention to posted signs i.e https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.879855,- ... 312!8i6656

Do the rolling stop, police could make a killing at this intersection & others with this sign.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

May be people actually stop and then continue driving so fast that you old gramps don't even notice it while napping at the wheel or reminiscing how good things used to be and everything would cost a nickel :biggrin:
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Even Steven wrote:May be people actually stop and then continue driving so fast that you old gramps don't even notice it while napping at the wheel or reminiscing how good things used to be and everything would cost a nickel :biggrin:

What about those turn right on a red even though the posted sign indicates thats not allowed.
Check link provided in my last post
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Stop signs and red lights are just like solid white or yellow lines, speed limits, construction zones, marked parking stalls, disabled bays, no entry, and no parking signs.

These are are merely "suggestions" that the majority follow, while a small but significant minority are not required to comply with them because they are "special" and far too busy/self-important.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

lightspeed wrote:Stop signs and red lights are just like solid white or yellow lines, speed limits, construction zones, marked parking stalls, disabled bays, no entry, and no parking signs.

These are are merely "suggestions" that the majority follow, while a small but significant minority are not required to comply with them because they are "special" and far too busy/self-important.

A dear friend was driving us around for some function and we stopped a a stop sign. As she waited at the stop sign she looked across at a car approaching the stop sign from the other side of the street and then announced, "lets see what this guy is going to do".
By not moving forward promptly some drivers confuse the hell out of every body else because they don't know what they are doing themselves!
Waste not
Dantanamo

Post by Dantanamo »

While your on turning at a stop sign or light can we spread the knowledge that much like the right turn at a stop sign or light, when you are stopped at a light to turn left onto a one way street you do not have to wait for green. You can turn into the closest lane on a red light. Think of it this way, if you are at a stop sign on a one way traveling to your left do you not think you can turn left?? Same thing. Frustrating when behind people that don't know, we have enough problems as it is.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Dantanamo, a significant part of Kelowna's population originates from Alberta. Don't expect this oversight to resolve anytime soon.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

Are you trying to say that Albertains are slow learners?
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

Dantanamo wrote:While your on turning at a stop sign or light can we spread the knowledge that much like the right turn at a stop sign or light, when you are stopped at a light to turn left onto a one way street you do not have to wait for green. You can turn into the closest lane on a red light. Think of it this way, if you are at a stop sign on a one way traveling to your left do you not think you can turn left?? Same thing. Frustrating when behind people that don't know, we have enough problems as it is.

After a complete stop of course.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

There are too many unnecessary stop signs around as is, a yield sign is more than adequate in many intersections.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Dizzy1 wrote:There are too many unnecessary stop signs around as is, a yield sign is more than adequate in many intersections.

New Zealand uses yield signs almost exclusively instead of stop signs. The big difference is that they drive on the the left side of the road. Yield signs make a lot of sense in that they don't take away your need to merge responsibly but give you the option of not having to stop which is easier on the brakes and fuel economy and exhaust emissions. Since hardly anyone stops at stop signs anyway it would not be a hardship to have to use more yield signs. It would free up court time for those fighting tickets for blowing stop signs and have police freed up to catch more egregious violations.
Waste not

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”