Smart Traffic Lights

Home of the traffic rant.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Smart Traffic Lights

Post by oneh2obabe »

Dutch city ‘s-Hertogenbosch aka Den Bosch employs traffic lights with contextual timing. Using sensors embedded in roads as well as data about public transportation, the lights can adjust to the current amount of automotive and bicycle traffic on the fly.

Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Smart Traffic Lights

Post by Dizzy1 »

They've had that technology on roadways for years. I figure Canada will finally clue in to it around the year 2080 - followed by thread upon thread about people complaining because its new and they don't understand it ;)
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

I was thinking In The Year 2525.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

If man is still alive. If woman can survive.

Is that where you were going???
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

lol ... wondered how many would recognize it.

looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

There are some lights in this town that really are annoying. If you don't get there fast enough you won't get a green and have to wait for a cycle. the opposite direction gets their advance left turn and I get nothing!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

Or northbound on Gordon from Old Meadows to Harvey. Day or night, the lights are timed specifically so that you get every. single. red. light. *eye twitch*
spooker

Post by spooker »

Just wish they'd have more lights that would recognize cyclists in the first place ... trying to cross Harvey requires either a "car" to be going the same direction or having to get off the bike and walk over and hit the pedestrian button ... ever wonder why not all cyclists act like vehicles? even with the 1996 MVA we don't get consistent treatment so we're all a bit schizo ...
jetty1965
Board Meister

Post by jetty1965 »

Isn't this just the same as detector loops that we already have.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

Bsuds wrote:There are some lights in this town that really are annoying. If you don't get there fast enough you won't get a green and have to wait for a cycle. the opposite direction gets their advance left turn and I get nothing!

Agree with that. I have been stopped twice recently on 97 at Ross Rd intersection as light turns red yet there is NO cross traffic waiting. What a joke and a waste of peoples time. Then this morning approaching Boucherie lights on 97 and traffic was stopped as it was red, it changed to green as I join the rear and before i got to the now green light it changed back to red!!!!
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

jetty1965 wrote:Isn't this just the same as detector loops that we already have.

No, the ones here work the opposite way. You approach the light, trigger the loop and the light turns red ;)
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

jetty1965 wrote:Isn't this just the same as detector loops that we already have.

Dizzy1 wrote:No, the ones here work the opposite way. You approach the light, trigger the loop and the light turns red ;)

Well, that is partially correct. There are two sets of sensors and if you are traveling too fast when you cross over them in series, you get a red light. It's used for traffic calming purposes. If you do it wrong and go through the red light, you get a ticket. They were installed when we had red light cameras at the intersections.
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Jul 12th, 2016, 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quote fixed.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein
strebor

Post by strebor »

I travel Southbound on Gordon from Cassorso to Old Meadows every morning for the past 2.5 years, Its a miracle if i'm lucky enough to hit all green lights in that span. That's almost unbelievable, considering the 2 crossroads (Cook and Lexington) are in reality non-through, lightly used roads and Gordon is a main artery. It blows my mnd when 4 full lanes on Gordon are brought to a stand still for 1 vehicle.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

^^^ the joys of living in urban area
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”