Tail Gating

Home of the traffic rant.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Tail Gating

Post by Grandan »

It is a very good example why, it is law not too and further unsafe. This mattress could have been a deer or a cyclist and the truck made it by. You can't see past a full size half ton or larger when on their tail.

In a perfect world your reflexes could accommodate a necessary maneuver to dodge an object on the road but the reality is we are not fast enough. 2 seconds behind the driver ahead of you is a minimum needed to process and accommodate braking.
Travelling long distances it becomes a nuisance when everyone wants to pass and they do stupid stuff. You pass and there is another blockade after that. The time saved is nothing compared to the stress level when you are full alert 1/2 second behind buddy's bumper. The dolt could have ended up taking out multiple cars. Driving over the mattress likely would have caused minimal damage.
Waste not
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

if the idiot in the truck was driving in the proper lane and not purposely impeding the flow of traffic there wouldn't have been any damage it also appears that he intentionally waited until the last minute to avoid the mattress in an attempt to cause an accident
spooker

Post by spooker »

LTD wrote:if the idiot in the truck was driving in the proper lane and not purposely impeding the flow of traffic there wouldn't have been any damage it also appears that he intentionally waited until the last minute to avoid the mattress in an attempt to cause an accident

Whether the guy in the truck was being a *bleep* or not, the person following had a responsibility to do everything they could to keep themselves safe ... the person in the car must have been extremely impatient to keep hounding the truck, which could have been what escalated the issue, sadly tit-for-tat seems to be the rule on the road these days ...
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

LTD wrote:if the idiot in the truck was driving in the proper lane and not purposely impeding the flow of traffic there wouldn't have been any damage it also appears that he intentionally waited until the last minute to avoid the mattress in an attempt to cause an accident

And buddy got schooled on why you should not tailgate. There are too many idiots around who think they can push people around on the road with aggressive driving. I hate to see people learn the hard way but sometimes it is the only way they are going to learn. Fortunately no one else appeared to be hurt by the actions of tailgater.
Waste not
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

The guy impeding traffic has no more right to control the speed of those behind as those behind have no right to force the impeding vehicle to increase speed. The impeding vehicle should respect those around him and drive in the appropriate lane or pull over to allow traffic to get by. That being said, those behind the impeding driver should not be tailgating but it's one way to let the impeding driver know that he is impeding traffic.

Unfortunately there are those that get a thrill on impeding traffic. IMO, those are the most dangerous drivers on the road.
spooker

Post by spooker »

driveangry wrote:Unfortunately there are those that get a thrill on impeding traffic. IMO, those are the most dangerous drivers on the road.

Yeah, going slow is always a bad idea *rolls eyes*
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

I bet it cured them from tailgating.......
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

in this province the idiot in the pickup would be charged as well and rightly so
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Charged with what ?? Being ahead of someone else..??
Cant be undue care and attention, he successfully navigated the hazard.
Tell us what he can be charged with ...
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

impeding the flow of traffic you can be ticketed for that should also point out that that almost thirty seconds of that video have been edited out which means he had lots of time to move over, point is he was being a dick and caused an accident then fled the scene I agree she shouldn't have been tailgating but he is just as much to blame
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Hopefully the person in a car learns a lesson.
wolfen_one
Fledgling

Post by wolfen_one »

How many idiots tailgate like this on a daily basis around here? Way too many everyday on 97. I shake my head every time when they can't figure out why there are multi vehicle pileups. There is NO excuse for tailgating and endangering people because you think you are in the right.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

LTD wrote:impeding the flow of traffic you can be ticketed for that should also point out that that almost thirty seconds of that video have been edited out which means he had lots of time to move over, point is he was being a dick and caused an accident then fled the scene I agree she shouldn't have been tailgating but he is just as much to blame

The guy in the pickup trucks did not cause the accident. The tailgater did 100% by not leaving sufficient room between himself and the pickup. If the guy in the pickup was doing the speed limit which he likely was then he was not impeding traffic.
There are many instances where I would like the guy in front to move over and let me through but in reality, you simply move one spot along and the time gained is miniscle compared to the havoc caused by impatience and idiocy.
Waste not
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

50-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:Charged with what ?? Being ahead of someone else..??
Cant be undue care and attention, he successfully navigated the hazard.
Tell us what he can be charged with ...

Pretty clear and obvious. Pickup was not actively overtaking, he was driving parallel. MVA section 150:

Driver on right

150 (1) The driver of a vehicle must confine the course of the vehicle to the right hand half of the roadway if the roadway is of sufficient width and it is practicable to do so, except
(a) when overtaking and passing a vehicle proceeding in the same direction,
(b) when the right hand half of the roadway is closed to traffic while under construction or repair,
(c) on a highway designated and marked by signs for one way traffic,
(d) if necessary when operating snow removing equipment, or
(e) if
(i) the movement of a vehicle, or combination of vehicles, is permitted by and is done in conformity with the terms of the oversize permit issued under the Commercial Transport Act , and
(ii) the width of a vehicle, or combination of vehicles, or the width of a load on the vehicle makes the operation of the vehicle or combination of vehicles on the right hand half of the roadway unsafe.
(2) The driver of a vehicle proceeding at less than normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under existing conditions must drive the vehicle in the right hand lane available for traffic, or as closely as practicable to the right hand curb or edge of the roadway, except when
(a) overtaking and passing another vehicle,
(b) preparing for a left hand turn at an intersection or into an exit, a private road or a driveway, or
(c) passing an official vehicle stopped on the side of or on the roadway.
(3) The driver of a vehicle passing around a rotary traffic island must drive the vehicle to the right of the island.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

He was trying to pass , not sure why he did not get around the rig , but may have been due to a hill.
If it was BC..ICBC would likely assign 100percent blame on the car, and say... You were the author of your own musfortune...

I hope someone from LE gets on here and tell us how they view this one..

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”