Don't always Trust Google Driving Directions

Home of the traffic rant.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Don't always Trust Google Driving Directions

Post by Glacier »

At the point in the road here, Google tells you to turn right because you'll save 0.1 km. They do this because they reason that you'll average 35km/h either way. Totally bunk because most people average about 100km/h on the straight gravel road, and 20km/h if they're lucky not to have to stop to saw out a tree on the other. Google is trying to be 2016 equal in that all gravel roads must be treated equal whether they're straight or not. So PC of them, but come on, even a monkey would pick the straight road.

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
spooker

Re: Don't always Trust Google Driving Directions

Post by spooker »

Google's algorithms rely on driving data gathered by the network ... more than likely people haven't been driving that differently between those two tracks so to Google they are more equal in nature ...

We still can't trust machines to be as "always accurate" as we'd like to think a human brain will be when it comes to decisions like this ...

At least Google isn't sending you off a cliff or into a lake at this fork ...
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

spooker wrote:Google's algorithms rely on driving data gathered by the network ... more than likely people haven't been driving that differently between those two tracks so to Google they are more equal in nature ...

We still can't trust machines to be as "always accurate" as we'd like to think a human brain will be when it comes to decisions like this ...

At least Google isn't sending you off a cliff or into a lake at this fork ...

If my mom hadn't fixed the washout, I would have had to back up for a while and turn around. This is not a publicly maintained road. If locals haven't sawed out trees and fixed culverts, then you might have to back track. It's an old road that was public something like 60 years ago.

More pictures showing the condition of the roads google says to take...

What Google says is equal (the actual public road)...

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

My GPS must get it's info from Google too.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

Looks like awesome adventure. Google is saying you need more adventure.....pick the route less traveled.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

Using Google's instructions to get from Glenmore and Highland to Stockwell, would have me heading west on Clement, then turning left off Clement at Cerise to get on the Rails with Trails Multi Use Corridor.
That's a bike and pedestrian lane. Albeit paved, it is not a road wide enough nor well suited (on account of the bikes and pedestrians) to driving my vehicle.

I'd say the OP's title could read "NEVER trust..." after using it a few times and realizing how someone might end up living in a van on a mountainside, eating trail mix and drinking rain water on account of thinking they were following reliable directions.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

WeatherWoman wrote:Looks like awesome adventure. Google is saying you need more adventure.....pick the route less traveled.

Yep, I'm picking the road to the right every time.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
oko11
Fledgling

Post by oko11 »

Glacier wrote:even a monkey would pick the straight road.

So, how was the road on the right?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I took the road to the left which you can't see in the picture. It was even worse shape than the one to the right. I had to stop and move trees twice. I knew what I was in for since I've down all three roads several times in the past, but the wife a bit worried as the tree branches were scratching our car's paint a few times.
- Douglas Murray
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

They look better than the old Chute lake rd...before Gillard came in ..
One time in the 70,s there was a big old Cadillac...high centered on the KVR.... Washnton plates..said they saw the road on the map..! !
Usually you could go down in a car if the road was good.. Going up in a two wheel drive pickup was sometimes a no go in the spring with washouts..... Wonder if the old road is on the GPS ?
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Google Maps is a tool, and like all tools they're there to help you - not to be treated as the Gospel ;)
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Dizzy1 wrote:Google Maps is a tool, and like all tools they're there to help you - not to be treated as the Gospel ;)

Exactly, keep them eyes open and read posted signs. Info is only as accurate as the one doing the data imput
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

GordonH wrote:
Exactly, keep them eyes open and read posted signs. Info is only as accurate as the one doing the data imput

I'd be cautious with posted signs as well ;)
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I must admit I found Garmin useful for certain city driving as city signage is vague at best or absent usually.

As for using plain good old fashioned Mapbooks, particularly the Backroad Mapbooks series, I recommend them on every road trip.

I truly resent people who say, "you still using maps" as if you're stupid backwards hick. No, actually, I like to be able see the big picture, where the waterfalls are, where the alternative routes are, where the rec sites are and when they are coming up. GoogleMaps can't necessarily do all that for you on a tiny screen. IF you even are getting service in some remote location.

I had a convo with an employee at Halcyon Hotsprings about this very thing, about how she's had some people tell her that a road goes up over a mountain and down to Kaslo, because GoogleMaps told them. Problem? As a local she knows better, that what starts as a FSR turns into a deer track.

We're headed out on a trip and I'm taking no less than five high quality, highly detailed mapbooks with us. They are invaluable where GoogleMaps can not show you everything.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

^^^ Plus you can draw/make notes on paper maps ;)

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”