Speeding Thru a School Zone...on a bicycle!

Home of the traffic rant.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Speeding Thru a School Zone...on a bicycle!

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:50-YEARS-in-Ktown unfortunately I'm seeing more often cyclist doing the Idaho stop at traffic lights (red light means Stop). Sooner or later one of these cyclists is going to end up in traction or worst (pine box).

spooker wrote:While I don't condone this behaviour by my fellow cyclists I'll pose this question, what's the situation where they are doing this? Are they causing cars to have to brake prematurely? Is the intersection clear of traffic?

As a cyclist I've had my frustration level tested because I'm stuck at an intersection that doesn't have a camera or any method to recognize a bicycle waiting ... too many times of that at an intersection and I'd be tempted ... but just like when I jaywalk (god forbid I just admitted to breaking the law!) I make sure that my actions won't affect anyone else using the road ... it's the same reasoning that people use to speed because it "makes traffic flow smoother"

Ask someone why they're doing something and it starts the dialogue ... tell someone they're doing something wrong and it just shuts it down before it can get started ...

I don't have any issues doing Idaho stop at Stop signs, just not at traffic lights. To cyclists who do this at traffic lights, don't be looking for compensation if you are hit by someone who's light is green.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
ifwisheswerehorses
Übergod

Post by ifwisheswerehorses »

GordonH wrote:
I don't have any issues doing Idaho stop at Stop signs, just not at traffic lights. To cyclists who do this at traffic lights, don't be looking for compensation if you are hit by someone who's light is green.

I disagree. I've seen plenty of instances where cars were turning and the cyclists went through anyways. Sure they slow down but that only gives drivers the impression that they are stopping when in fact they are just going right through. Then everyone jumps on the bandwagon and criticizes drivers for not looking.
Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you’ll ever regret.
spooker

Post by spooker »

GordonH wrote:

ifwisheswerehorses wrote:I disagree. I've seen plenty of instances where cars were turning and the cyclists went through anyways. Sure they slow down but that only gives drivers the impression that they are stopping when in fact they are just going right through. Then everyone jumps on the bandwagon and criticizes drivers for not looking.

It's interesting to look at the Wikipedia entry for the Idaho Stop and see that the "for" camp has real data to support them while the "no" camp is mainly coming from a "gut feel" and "moralistic" point.

When the cyclist is smart and aware (there are more of us fitting those qualifications than you might think) an Idaho Stop can pay off for everyone ... here is the real world take on it: http://www.bikelaw.com/2016/01/27/living-with-stop-as-yield-for-cyclists/

The key to surviving the road is awareness and communication ...
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

There's speeding and then there's speeing. IN school zones, don't. On residential streets, don't.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

In regards to stop signs - there's too many of them as is - many could be easily replaced as yield signs - but then drivers/cyclists have to pay a bit more attention - ah, never mind [icon_lol2.gif]
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Dizzy1 wrote:In regards to stop signs - there's too many of them as is - many could be easily replaced as yield signs - but then drivers/cyclists have to pay a bit more attention - ah, never mind [icon_lol2.gif]

Could see large increase at both Emergency & ICBC claims, if that were to happen. lol
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”