Another Route to Kamloops?

Home of the traffic rant.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Another Route to Kamloops?

Post by Always Sunny »

I noticed this sign in front of the Kelowna Airport this morning. I'm assuming this is a typo, but wishful thinking! I know the first sign you see just north of Swan Lake en route via Falkland says 105km.
Attachments
Kamloops sign 2.jpg
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Another Route to Kamloops?

Post by GordonH »

^^^ I'd say in or around Monte Lake area, not Kamloops. :laugh:
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Maybe they mean by airplane/ as the crow flies. Same goes for the 30km to Vernon and the 8km to Lake Country. Those are all straight shots as the crow flies. I suppose it makes sense if the sign is at the airport.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Glacier wrote:Maybe they mean by airplane/ as the crow flies. Same goes for the 30km to Vernon and the 8km to Lake Country. Those are all straight shots as the crow flies. I suppose it makes sense if the sign is at the airport.

I don't think it makes any sense whatsoever to use as-the-crow-flies distances anywhere on our highways. Especially since there is nothing to suggest that these distances are anything but by road. If they want to mix things up, don't make the signs look exactly like all others. And definitely don't place it right outside of an airport where a large number of travelers probably aren't all that familiar with the area.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Its not as the crow flies. Set your trip odometer and you'll see.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Here is map showing 118Km radius from Kamloops (Columbia St and 6th Ave):
http://www.freemaptools.com/radius-arou ... 0FF00&mt=r

So 118km as the crow flies
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Gixxer wrote:Its not as the crow flies. Set your trip odometer and you'll see.

Youre saying it's 118km from the Kelowna Airpirt to Kamloops? I find that hard to believe, which route is this?
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Gixxer wrote:Its not as the crow flies. Set your trip odometer and you'll see.

Always Sunny wrote:Youre saying it's 118km from the Kelowna Airpirt to Kamloops? I find that hard to believe, which route is this?

I guess google must be wrong by 38Km's

Next time I go to Kamloops I will have to check this out...... when will that be..... I know when I win a lottery. Of course remembering to do this will be last thing on my mind at the time. lol
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Always Sunny wrote:Youre saying it's 118km from the Kelowna Airpirt to Kamloops? I find that hard to believe, which route is this?

Hmmm looks like an error on the sign. Dont know why they would use as the crow flies for driving distance.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Gixxer wrote:Hmmm looks like an error on the sign. Dont know why they would use as the crow flies for driving distance.

:smt045
That's what I've been saying!

I've been going to Kamloops several times per month for years. All other signage, Google, etc. indicates the absolute quickest route is 156km.

I actually haven't noticed the sign lately, maybe it's been taken down?
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

Always Sunny wrote:
I've been going to Kamloops several times per month for years. All other signage, Google, etc. indicates the absolute quickest route is 156km.

I actually haven't noticed the sign lately, maybe it's been taken down?

Its been changed now, i think it says 155 i cannot be 100% sure but definitely changed
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

^^^I saw it this morning. Makes me feel a bit better that I haven't been missing out on a sweet short cut all these years! You gotta wonder though, where did that figure comes from? I believe the distances for the other locations remained unchanged.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Always Sunny wrote:^^^I saw it this morning. Makes me feel a bit better that I haven't been missing out on a sweet short cut all these years! You gotta wonder though, where did that figure comes from? I believe the distances for the other locations remained unchanged.

Some summer student probably Googled it for them, and he accidentally forgot to select the "follow the roads" option.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Glacier wrote:Some summer student probably Googled it for them, and he accidentally forgot to select the "follow the roads" option.

I've never Googled a distance and gotten as the crow flies instead of the driving distance.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Always Sunny wrote:I've never Googled a distance and gotten as the crow flies instead of the driving distance.

Well maybe not Google, but the government map program.
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”