Cops Name Top Car Defects

Home of the traffic rant.
RustyCrayon
Board Meister

Cops Name Top Car Defects

Post by RustyCrayon »

http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/180728/Cops-name-top-car-defects

I see trucks on the road without any mudflaps every time I'm out. We are heading into the season where those without mudflaps will be spraying our windshields with rocks, causing chips and cracks. I try to leave as much distance as possible between my vehicle and those ahead of me. But often still end up with damage. It's costly, as well as frustrating to have to replace a windshield every few years, as well as constantly touching up the paint on my hood. I hope police start handing out more fines to those who don't have mudflaps.
lightspeed
Guru

Re: Cops Name Top Car Defects

Post by lightspeed »

I'd have though unsuitable tires would have been on the list. Summers/all (three) seasons in winter on the mountain passes, and bald tires of all sorts year round. Saw a kid driving on a donut runner tire on the Connector doing about 130, maybe a touch more. Shook my head a little as he weaved left-right-left in front of me.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Yeah like every other car in Rutland has illegal window tint but nobody cares.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

I found most windshield rock hits were from oncoming traffic.. Never thought that mudflaps could stop it all.
I used to run out to Nelson early mornings one winter arriving around 7:30 am, get a rockstrike every trip..
Pretty much the same running to Revelstoke..
I you run on two laners in the winter, you gonna be getting windshields..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Dawggss

Post by Dawggss »

Biggest defects I have found in vehicles recently are:
1. the inability of the vehicles in the Valley to actually come to a stop at a stop sign - especially if turning right - must be a serious brake deficiency epidemic;
2. the lack of any working signal lights - especially when changing lanes (apparently the clairvoyant option wasn't available for my vehicle - my bad I guess).
Or am I attaching too much blame to vehicle defects?
Don't even want to suggest the failings of speedometers to alert and report accurate speeds to drivers with regarding to the limits for roads they are travelling . . .
“Left vs Right is an out-dated concept and an oversimplification of the 21st Century.” James Morcan

“What if I told you that the Left Wing and the Right Wing belong to the same bird?”
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by w84u2 »

The #1 defect should be ..........the operator.
Computers allow people to make more mistakes in less time than anything since the invention of tequila and automatic weapons.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

RustyCrayon wrote: I hope police start handing out more fines to those who don't have mudflaps.

Well if they were mandatory then the mfr would have to put them on at the factory but they don't and there not.

Too bad though, I would like to see lights on 24/7 as mandatory. Or at least every car have a sensor that turns them on when it's dark.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Bsuds wrote:Well if they were mandatory then the mfr would have to put them on at the factory but they don't and there not.

Too bad though, I would like to see lights on 24/7 as mandatory. Or at least every car have a sensor that turns them on when it's dark.

MVA schedule 6

Division 7 — Other Equipment

Mudguards
7.06 - Every motor vehicle, trailer and semitrailer not constructed so that the spray and splash of water and mud to the rear of the vehicle is minimized shall be equipped with mudguards and, if necessary, mudflaps.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Yup and cars and trucks with stock wheels and tires fall within that legality. It's the ones with tires and rims that sit outside the body of the vehicle that don't comply. They are not stock.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

BUT, I also find that zero or, next to zero rear overhang vehicles are just as bad, if not worse
than some of the modified vehicles.

Smart cars, bone stock have next to zero rear overhang and their tires fling any and all debris straight up in
the air.
Hummers, Jeeps, Landcruisers and several others should all fall into the category of mandatory mudflaps
or some form of diffuser.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I agree and that's why my dually has large mud flaps. One of the first things I added to it. Mind you I was more worried about damage to my 5th wheel. lol
liisgo
Lord of the Board

Post by liisgo »

These statistic's are based on "which defects are being ticketed by the RCMP", not by which defects are actually more common.
Bald tires, burned out tail lights etc. would likely be far more encountered on vehicles traveling our roads.
What these findings do show is that you are more likely to receive police attention if you are seen with the defects mentioned in the report. It seems very clear that special attention is being giving to a certain group of individuals that will usually be found in the type of vehicle that will have these defects.
Obviously a good thing to see defects and dangerous items being dealt with ,but wonder what the stat's would show if for a period of time every single burnt out tail light received an automatic ticket. Point is, you can drive all over BC and never use your signal light but the one time you drive with your brand new pickup with a little 3 inch lift you will get more noticed.
JTGTI

Post by JTGTI »

While this list of defects may be valid, it's very frustrating that the more dangerous offences are still going virtualy unchecked. The most common seen being texting as well as aggressive driving. This past Monday I drove past a number of RCMP cars on the side of the road watching traffic. The driver in the car behind had obviously texting, but I got stopped for no front plate. Now I know that I'm supposed to have a front plate and am not disputing getting pulled over, but when I asked if the member had seen the driver behind me on his phone, I was told that was not what they were targeting that day. I get it, it's easy spot and easy to ticket, but how many accidents, injuries or deaths have been caused by not having a front plate? Let's put the effort into getting the texting, aggressive driving and driving under the influence numbers down drastically first.

(And yes I now have a front plate on my car)
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

The front plate thing drives me absolutely bonkers made worse by the fact that our license plates are still massive ugly chunks of metal wrapped in an advertisement. Some States and most/all of Europe have static registrations for each vehicle which could be applied to the vehicle from factory.

May I also mention that some people see their vehicles as people movers, and others do not. That may have implications on whether you give a damn.

I've never had a front plate on my current vehicle and it's never been an issue. What was an issue 4 years ago was when I was pulled over for having a 100% transparent and non-reflective plate cover over my front plate to aesthetically prevent damage/wear. I literally told that cop I would pay the maximum fine if he could explain to me the exact concerns with it. It was a thing of beauty, wrapped all the way around the back with a clear plastic piece so that the entire plate (even from the side) was displayed. All he had to say was that it was against the law and I nicely agreed, went home, and have not had a front plate since despite all the check-stops and waves to officers.

But hey, they've got quotas to hit.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Obvious this crack-down on said defects was just a ruse.

The stone chuckers abound.

stupidly lifted trucks with improperly calibrated headlights abound.

People that do not seem to realize their auxiliary lights have an OFF position also.

What a joke!
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”