What are Driveways For Anyhow?

Home of the traffic rant.
CountryAtHeart
Lord of the Board

What are Driveways For Anyhow?

Post by CountryAtHeart »

Ok...Heading up the main thouroughfare to the elementary school it is one lane only. Why? Well...because you have kids walking and you have to pass all the flippin cars parked on the street. We aren't talking apartment buildings here. We are talking about a residential neighbourhood. And by the way, as you look into the driveways of these houses all of them have at least space for 2-3 vehicles. But why aren't they used you may ask? Well, the answer is simple, my friend. Then they would not have the clear path to the double car garage that they enjoy. So, instead of having to be inconvienced by moving one of their own cars out of the way, they decide to park out on the street, so that everyone else can play the game of an obstacle course twice a day at the peak time of school drop/off and pick/up.
BTW - this is not just one house.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Are there illegal suites? That would explain street parking. Stinking annoying I bet!
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Snowbaby
Lord of the Board

Post by Snowbaby »

The one house I lived in my parking stall was the street. The house had a double wide driveway, with a garage. All three spots were reserved for the renters who lived upstairs. When the suite became a legal suite right after I first moved in, the owner of the house was supposed to put in a parking stall for me on the property. Well, 4 years later when I moved out, still no parking stall. I had plenty of hassles over the years from the city as to my parking there on the street, from snow plows, to street sweepers, to garbage collections etc etc. I always referred the city by-law officers who were always around to bug me to the owner and the agreement that was made to include a parking stall. Well, 2 years after I moved out.....still no parking stall!

The house I'm in now, has a double garage, double parking out back. Guess what? Not mine to use. The owners son needs all of the spots for his car. So, I"m out on the street for parking.....again!

So, not everyone who is parking out on the street is doing so just to make obstacle courses for you to drive around. Some have no choice!
Struts 'N' Stuff Auto
Lord of the Board

Post by Struts 'N' Stuff Auto »

Didn't you know, your supposed to park 6 blocks away so that you can get excercise and also talk to your kids on the way back to the car!
Like "Quality time together"

If you are really in a hurry and don't need the excercise, then park in the closest home owners driveway, they wont be home until 4. :123:
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Well must be a really slow news day if parking in someone else's driveway is news. And considering so many people I know work shift work it is really annoying to come home to someone else parked in your driveway - talk about rude people!!
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Struts 'N' Stuff Auto wrote:If you are really in a hurry and don't need the excercise, then park in the closest home owners driveway, they wont be home until 4. :123:

:1422: Good one.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Struts 'N' Stuff Auto wrote:Didn't you know, your supposed to park 6 blocks away so that you can get excercise and also talk to your kids on the way back to the car!
Like "Quality time together"

If you are really in a hurry and don't need the excercise, then park in the closest home owners driveway, they wont be home until 4. :123:

If they work on Sunday, you can park there all day.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

I wonder what would happen if a person approached a homeowner asking for use of the driveway for the 5-10 minutes it takes to pick up children from school. I'd for sure let a parent use my driveway, what's 10 minutes of concrete space while I and my car are sitting over here; I'm not using the driveway all day anyway, but I'd like to be approached and asked first.
hotchip99
Lord of the Board

Post by hotchip99 »

The problem would be with all others seeing one person using your driveway, then thinking it's a free-for-all.......
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

:-k next thing you know the neighbours would be assuming the homeowner is running a crack house or something.
Struts 'N' Stuff Auto
Lord of the Board

Good Idea, start a new trend.
Kids do it all the time, the starting a new trend thing.
If the Homeowner comes home, just say "Hey, your not so and so, this isn't so and so's house, ooooopsssssss.

Shift work?
Nobody works in Kelowna! :123:

I like the people who have the Internet at work and get paid to type on the Forums, they call it work, and some even say "Hard Work" :1422:
Struts 'N' Stuff Auto
Lord of the Board

Now, if that aint openin' a can of beans.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Mmmmm flex time and telecommuting is truly a blessing and a benefit in today's busy life. The driveway thing is a hypothetical, I don't even have a driveway.
CountryAtHeart
Lord of the Board

Post by CountryAtHeart »

Actually parking there temporarily is not what I am talking about. The vehicles that I talking about is a Big Work machinary truck that does not move ever. And a vehicle that is parked behind it that they are trying to sell. This is not the spot in front of the school, but an intersection to the school that is also the main thouroughfare for the entire mountain of subdivisions. It is a lot of traffic. As well as a lot of traffic for kids, both elementary school and middle and high school as it is the only bus stop for the entire subdivision. There are no sidewalks.
dogbreath
Board Meister

Post by dogbreath »

Houdini you cant be serious. I thought this post was some sort of joke at first. Since when cant someone park in front of their own house? I have known people that lived in front of schools and the people that park in front of their house could care less if they block you in your own driveway, even if you are leaving, they leave trash all over your front yard, be rude and disrespectful. I dont blame anyone trying to keep a$$e$ picking up their kids from parking in front of their house.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”