Bumper cars on icy roads

Home of the traffic rant.
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Bumper cars on icy roads

Post by mr.bandaid »

GordonH wrote:Been out and about for part of the day, never had an issue. Did see a number of vehicles spinning out at intersection as they going on greens, more then likely due to low tread winters or M+S all seasons.

My vehicle is small 4dr FWD with best winter tires going.

As vehicles sit at an intersection the heat created by the engines and off there wheels melts the snow and at - whatever it was yesterday, the melted snow is compacted and creates ice. Particularly worse in the early hours when there is less traffic. Even really good winter tires are probably going to spin on sheer ice.
Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

mr.bandaid wrote:
GordonH wrote:Been out and about for part of the day, never had an issue. Did see a number of vehicles spinning out at intersection as they going on greens, more then likely due to low tread winters or M+S all seasons.

As vehicles sit at an intersection the heat created by the engines and off there wheels melts the snow and at - whatever it was yesterday, the melted snow is compacted and creates ice. Particularly worse in the early hours when there is less traffic. Even really good winter tires are probably going to spin on sheer ice.

Not if they have cryo crystals. Not studs, but seriously not far off. Tested on ice - they work!

https://www.nokiantyres.com/innovation/ ... l-concept/
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Again, I'm not saying the roads are bad, I am saying however people are making up lanes ad hoc and pedestrians are walking on the roads to avoid unshoveled sidewalks.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

mr.bandaid wrote:

Also more compaction from cars stopping and starting.... Causing slippery intersections.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Just went to Osoyoos and back. Roads were ok. But the scenery is fantastic.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

On a day like today, I wish I could go out and photograph stuff.

Snow tires, anyone got them on yet?

[icon_lol2.gif]
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

everyone in my family puts them on by oct 15th at the latest :smt045
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
TheBoss
Fledgling

Post by TheBoss »

My car has all seasons and is parked for the winter. Not a car winter car by far, although i do want to go to a nice big open lot and have some fun :D

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”