Bumper cars on icy roads

Home of the traffic rant.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Bumper cars on icy roads

Post by the truth »

Noisy Boater wrote:
the truth wrote:just dropped off the wife at work, i did some driving on harvey ave and springfield, untouched by snow plows , ok maybe just a little what a joke
this town is :cuss:

Maybe you should call the city and then Argo let them know where you are off to today and they could plow and sand only minutes before you go out.

its not about me, they get paid to do a job, so do it
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Noisy Boater wrote:
the truth wrote:just dropped off the wife at work, i did some driving on harvey ave and springfield, untouched by snow plows , ok maybe just a little what a joke

Maybe you should call the city and then Argo let them know where you are off to today and they could plow and sand only minutes before you go out.

Plus one on that.. That guy is either just plain unlucky all the time, or the plow guys are avoiding him, due to all the complaining.

I remember one night in Revelstoke, it snowed about 30inches. We were getting stopped with the 4x4 in town, if no one had driven that street through the night... A lot harder getting to work that day..
There was so much snow on the eastern access, that you had to give it gas to get down.. Eerie silent whiteness heading out on the TransCanada when the passes are closed.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

I don't really see the problem.

If you didn't have to tunnel your way out of the house and you could
actually find...and start, your vehicle then the rest is easy.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

Drove home from Rutland this AM at about the same time, we did take the highway but the roads were all plowed. Most of the roads downtown by our home were plowed too.

Seems to me the city are doing a great job. They are out there all night and day plowing and sanding the roads away from their loved ones, I am glad that there are people willing to do the job.

Obviously no job/work is perfect, and not every road will be plowed to perfection at every time of day. But I am glad that there are people out there doing the work instead of just coming online to complain about it day in and day out.
hail Satan y'all
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

For the most part city is doing a great job. No problems getting around the city, I've been between West K. and Rutland today.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

I think in the plowing contract it states,
Bill and Wendy Whiners street gets done...last...
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Bottom line............Kelowna's snow removal..........make that snow moving program is BARE MINIMUM. If anyone thinks it's excellent, then you have not ventured to other cities that have SNOW REMOVAL. At least on the main and secondary arteries. I will add that there are house's where we are that have 4, 5 or more vehicles and park many of them on the street, so yes, the redneck pickup trucks with a blade can have more difficulty on those streets doing their usual poor job.
Verminator
Board Meister

Post by Verminator »

Driving back to Vernon fom KGH yesterday, I had absolutely no problem negotiating the roads in my little FWD Nissan, with proper winter tires of course. As others have already noted, some of the intersections were a bit iced over, but otherwise everything was fine. I was pleasantly surprised to see people generally slowing down for the conditions and giving each other a bit more room, so kudos for that.

As an aside, winter conditions are worse in Vernon because we get more snow. That said, the road crews here are doing a doing a fine job keeping up with it and I want to acknowledge their efforts. :up: Thanks guys and gals. :up:
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

lesliepaul wrote:Bottom line............Kelowna's snow removal..........make that snow moving program is BARE MINIMUM. If anyone thinks it's excellent, then you have not ventured to other cities that have SNOW REMOVAL. At least on the main and secondary arteries. I will add that there are house's where we are that have 4, 5 or more vehicles and park many of them on the street, so yes, the redneck pickup trucks with a blade can have more difficulty on those streets doing their usual poor job.

Kelowna is a paradise, and also still a small redneck town in the middle of the vast isolated nothingness of Southern BC.

You have to realize that the vast majority of the population, who seem to survive weather extremes quite well thank you very much, don't really care for or about your whining and snivelling. We laugh at you with your urbanite seasonal snow plowing tantrums.

It's not Vancouver or Toronto. Once you accept that fact, drive according to the conditions, only travel when you have to, and drive an appropriate year-round vehicle with suitable tires, then life is good, safe, and stress free.
Last edited by lightspeed on Feb 4th, 2017, 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Meh... We have the proper winter tires with very good tread on the "grocery getter" and the pleasure craft..

We're good..
Last edited by MAPearce on Feb 4th, 2017, 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Snow hit hard Friday through the day. Good work by the plow guys, in my opinion. Did as much as they could.

Saw an F150 in the ditch on a flat, straight four lane southbound highway. EMS all over it.

What a brutal waste of everyone's time. Unsure how you lose control in such circumstances. Roads weren't terrible and had been plowed.

Through town, a goon tailgated me through 3 or 4 intersections, stopping about 2 feet from my bumper. He was in for verbals at the next light but thankfully he turned left. No lights on and a peek a boo view of the road through his front windshield and fogged up side windows. Moron 101 - checked off most boxes in the how not to drive in winter manual.

ShannonG
Board Meister

Post by ShannonG »

Noisy Boater wrote:
ShannonG wrote:We're Canadian. It's Winter. It snows.
That being said, proper winter tires make all the difference in the world, and they don't have to cost a fortune. I discovered a guy in Glenmore who sells used winters on Castanet with free mounting/balance. We got two sets from him and haven't looked back. He does a good job, works out of his backyard shop.

We have 4 - 1 yr old winters on rims 4x100 bolt pattern off a VW golf. On Castanet classifieds seller is mck.

My Passat is 5x112. Not even going to ask how you know I drive a VW....
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Been out and about for part of the day, never had an issue. Did see a number of vehicles spinning out at intersection as they going on greens, more then likely due to low tread winters or M+S all seasons.

My vehicle is small 4dr FWD with best winter tires going.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

In my view, there's too much snow plowing. I think they waste too much time and money on it, namely, too much salt and sand. The stuff wears out my vehicles, and I have to suffer because some idiots don't know how to drive and/or refuse to get winter tires. People need to learn to drive in the snow. Those who don't -- Darwin Award candidates.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Glacier wrote:People need to learn to drive in the snow. Those who don't -- Darwin Award candidates.

Or they can just move back to Vancouver?

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”