Bumper cars on icy roads

Home of the traffic rant.
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Bumper cars on icy roads

Post by w84u2 »

I love driving in the snow. It is exhilarating and refreshing. It's all the idiots out there that ruin it.
Computers allow people to make more mistakes in less time than anything since the invention of tequila and automatic weapons.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

lesliepaul wrote:. I will add that there are house's where we are that have 4, 5 or more vehicles and park many of them on the street, so yes, the redneck pickup trucks with a blade can have more difficulty on those streets doing their usual poor job.

Yes agreed, this year seems worse than ever in our area for way too many parked vehicles on street, some that are buried because they don't move, some that are parked too far off the curb because they cannot drive into the snow bank that's been created. I know that a lot of local homes sold last year and guarantee they all had suites added which has added vehicles.

Had no issues getting round myself but people still drive way too fast and pedestrians for gods sake wait for traffic to stop because in these conditions if you step out you may get a ton of steel on top of you
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

w84u2 wrote:I love driving in the snow. It is exhilarating and refreshing. It's all the idiots out there that ruin it.

Yup, me too. The government says speed limits are for "ideal conditions" and since I consider snow ideal driving conditions, I do the speed limit. 7 inches of fresh snow on the ground, perfect driving conditions.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by w84u2 »

Glacier wrote:
w84u2 wrote:I love driving in the snow. It is exhilarating and refreshing. It's all the idiots out there that ruin it.

Yup, me too. The government says speed limits are for "ideal conditions" and since I consider snow ideal driving conditions, I do the speed limit. 7 inches of fresh snow on the ground, perfect driving conditions.

I just love making tracks in fresh snow. Sometimes I will get up extra early and drive.
Computers allow people to make more mistakes in less time than anything since the invention of tequila and automatic weapons.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

It's kinda fun to drive around snowy city. You slide around the corners a little, you car keeps flashing the spinning warning, even changing lanes is kinda fun with a bit of a floating effect.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I'm not impressed when the spinning isn't necessary. Yup, make the intersections slick just because you want to spin your tires.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by w84u2 »

Fancy wrote:I'm not impressed when the spinning isn't necessary. Yup, make the intersections slick just because you want to spin your tires.

I agree. Control....makes for a much better ride.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Kelowna is a paradise, and also still a small redneck town in the middle of the vast isolated nothingness of Southern BC.

You have to realize that the vast majority of the population, who seem to survive weather extremes quite well thank you very much, don't really care for or about your whining and snivelling. We laugh at you with your urbanite seasonal snow plowing tantrums.

It's not Vancouver or Toronto. Once you accept that fact, drive according to the conditions, only travel when you have to, and drive an appropriate year-round vehicle with suitable tires, then life is good, safe, and stress free

Lightspeed.......you have usually liked my posts. Now we have found your "weak point"...........it appears that questioning (slamming) "paradise" is off limits. Tell me it ain't so!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Had no trouble getting around today. Wish other people slowed down for the conditions though seeing them spin out. No wonder there were accidents. Kelowna and area has seen more snow in the past. I love it myself. No reason though to take chances and ruining a vehicle, a person's life or your own.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

lesliepaul wrote:
Kelowna is a paradise, and also still a small redneck town in the middle of the vast isolated nothingness of Southern BC.

You have to realize that the vast majority of the population, who seem to survive weather extremes quite well thank you very much, don't really care for or about your whining and snivelling. We laugh at you with your urbanite seasonal snow plowing tantrums.

It's not Vancouver or Toronto. Once you accept that fact, drive according to the conditions, only travel when you have to, and drive an appropriate year-round vehicle with suitable tires, then life is good, safe, and stress free

Lightspeed.......you have usually liked my posts. Now we have found your "weak point"...........it appears that questioning (slamming) "paradise" is off limits. Tell me it ain't so!

Was tongue in cheek. Internet fail on my part.

But yeah - I don't like the whining about snow in winter and bad weather.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Fancy wrote:Had no trouble getting around today. Wish other people slowed down for the conditions though seeing them spin out. No wonder there were accidents. Kelowna and area has seen more snow in the past. I love it myself. No reason though to take chances and ruining a vehicle, a person's life or your own.

My vehicle is rear wheel drive, so I spin out if I'm going too slow up hills. Spinning out comes from going too slow.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

If my property was smaller I'd just put a transparent dome on it and let all the snow slide on to the neighbors farms .
Any birds and critters on the property at the closing of the dome get to stay all winter and have access to unlimited food.
And no more shuvlin for me.

<<off to check Castanet classified ads for large transparent yard domes>>
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Oh I'm sorry Bman, I bought the last large, transparent yard dome yesterday.

I could be persuaded to re-sell it however...
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Was tongue in cheek. Internet fail on my part.

But yeah - I don't like the whining about snow in winter and bad weather.

The only snow I want to see anymore should be about 5 miles away in the mountains..........that's close enough for me. Was a snowmobile fanatic for 31 years and sold my last sled on December 6, 1996 (many of those were great years of doing 110 MPH plus on snow) and since then will not miss the white stuff.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I get to drive in this dumping down snow phenomena called "Winter" all day today. Then two days off.

Note to self: the t section at Ethel and Raymer Ave. is a sheet of ice underneath it all. Recall how you had to steer into the entrance of the sewage treatment plant to avoid bumper cars with a school bus.

I wasn't even driving fast either.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”