Try the bus...Take the bus

Home of the traffic rant.
PuppyLove

Try the bus...Take the bus

Post by PuppyLove »

I have two vehicles at home, and now that my office has moved downtown I considered taking the bus. I've had many negative experiences in the past in the lower mainland - chasing after buses, waiting in the cold, or dealing with transfers. But I thought I'd give it a try.

Compared to driving, it is so easy. $70 a month is way cheaper than the truck. I don't have to pay for parking or risk getting a ticket or an accident. I don't have to wait for the truck to warm up, scrape the snow and ice off the windows. I don't have to deal with other drivers and post rants on Castanet about them. Red lights? No longer annoying.

I check the schedule on my phone, walk out a minute before the bus shows up. Get off on the other end and walk a block to work. No stress, no gas, no worries. And the bus isn't crowded. The driver is friendly.

It's not for everyone, as some people may not be on an ideal route, or the timing just doesn't work.

But, if it's even an option... why not try it. I did and I'm glad.

And if you ride your bike, you can cycle to work. If it's snowing after work, pop it onto the bus and get a ride home.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Try the bus...Take the bus

Post by Grandan »

When I went to UBC in Vancouver I rode the bus daily. I caught it at the same time every day and chatted with the driver the whole way until I transferred. On a rare occasion I was late and he would watch for me and stop if he saw me running for the bus. Now, I would take the bus if I had a regular job to go to but fortunately those days are gone.
Having a bike rack on the bus is fabulous. In Kelowna I rode my bike on the days I could, mostly year round unless it was too icy to ride.
Waste not
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

It can work fairly well. The biggest problem I found was bus occasionally ran early, and you miss it as you hurry to get there.. They should be penalized heavily for this. As a result I ended up trying to get there 4 minutes early, but more often than not they run late.... Hence more time burned up waiting..
Got so bad I ended up riding the motorcycle in the winter a lot, wasnt any colder than standing at he stop for 15 minutes.... Be home in that time..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

There is something wrong when you use the Glenmore bus, and you are a block away from the stop on Richter...at the time the bus leave the terminal , and you see the bus go by ...
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
TheBoss
Fledgling

Post by TheBoss »

Not for me i just enjot driving so much, accept for the summer time in the okanagan, nothing like bumper to bumper traffic.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”