McCurdy speeding

Home of the traffic rant.
rookie314
Übergod

McCurdy speeding

Post by rookie314 »

http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/18 ... Jo-s-death

Awesome!! I know the family and condolences for JoJo. A young vibrant life cut short by a blatent disregard for the rules of the road. I live near McCurdy, used to walk my dog down that road. Reminded everytime I go by there by the memorial on the side of the road. I quit walking down that road because of insane enititled drivers If you went 50, the limit, heck 60 even 70, you"ld get mowed over, passed on the double solid, curve or not and given the finger plus horn by some nut job. Time to crack down on people who think its their god given right to put the rest of us in danger. Lock him up.
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: McCurdy speeding

Post by Relentless »

Yup, it's pretty sad, another life was taken because of stupidity.
The biggest problem is that this can happen anywhere in Kelowna, as most are in a hurry, and we have no proper traffic law enforcement to slow these types down, and self control is long gone.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

UltraViolet wrote:Yup, it's pretty sad, another life was taken because of stupidity.
The biggest problem is that this can happen anywhere in Kelowna, as most are in a hurry, and we have no proper traffic law enforcement to slow these types down, and self control is long gone.

You can thank your city council for the number of cops or lack of. In an effort to keep taxes down in order to attract more residents that was the decision. Every major road has it's share of drivers who think it is their right to travel at twice the posted speed and because there are few cops the chances of being caught are near zero.
Waste not
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

Grandan wrote:You can thank your city council for the number of cops or lack of. In an effort to keep taxes down in order to attract more residents that was the decision. Every major road has it's share of drivers who think it is their right to travel at twice the posted speed and because there are few cops the chances of being caught are near zero.

I have met with the head of the Traffic Division,City Council, the previous Mayor, and I get told the same thing all the time.
It's like a broken record.

Traffic Division blames the higher up's for pulling members to fill other positions in General Duty.
Also, unless there are repeat injury accidents in specific area's, there is no need for enforcement, everything is fine.

City Council directs me to the online City Citizens Survey, showing that seventy some percent are happy with RCMP services.

The old Mayor stated that maybe the problem is just in our area, I offered to direct him and a Trained Traffic cop to each and every location that I know of that has problems, in an effort to prove it's everywhere, and a serious problem.

It was suggested that our neighborhood is due for a Traffic Survey to have traffic calming measures installed, possibly sometime in 2018, because there are 245 areas on the list ahead of ours.
The solution to speeding is speed humps on every residential street, but no solution for all the main thoroughfares that are constantly being used as racetracks, where unnecessary deaths occur.

You will never win trying to fix anything in this City, it is run by idiots, and I don't think anything will ever change!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

bumped update
https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/1 ... e-for-Jojo

hopefully he abides by the restrictions
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

Speeding is epidemic in Kelowna. Saturday evening I was on my deck in the Lower Mission and some idiot in a white BMW ripped down my street not once, but twice going at least 90 kph. Are these people so stupid that they don't realize how they're endangering innocent people? I just don't get it. Maybe if the punishment for speeding was an automatic one month driving suspension, people would listen.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

techrtr wrote:Speeding is epidemic in Kelowna. Saturday evening I was on my deck in the Lower Mission and some idiot in a white BMW ripped down my street not once, but twice going at least 90 kph. Are these people so stupid that they don't realize how they're endangering innocent people? I just don't get it. Maybe if the punishment for speeding was an automatic one month driving suspension, people would listen.

Speeding on residential streets should come with automatic driving license suspension for minimum of a month, plus the vehicle impounded for same amount of time. Cost of towing & storage paid by the driver.
if caught again within X time everything is double..... so on..... and so on. School zones & playgrounds triple automatically (added later: construction zones)... no ifs.... maybes about it.

Only way drivers learn today is if its big hit to there bank account & vehicle they drive. 1 last thing if they have a L or N then D/L gone for at least 5 years.
Just don't speed on city streets, absolutely no need for this.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

GordonH wrote:Just don't speed on city streets, absolutely no need for this.

But, but they get to the next red light before everyone else!

Unfortunately I don't think it will change until we are all passengers in self driving cars.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

GordonH wrote:Just don't speed on city streets, absolutely no need for this.

Bsuds wrote:
But, but they get to the next red light before everyone else!

Time the lights so when you leave a green light, do the speed limit then the next light will actually turn green instead of yellow - then I'd agree with you.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Dizzy1 wrote:
Time the lights so when you leave a green light, do the speed limit then the next light will actually turn green instead of yellow - then I'd agree with you.

I can't argue with that. The traffic light timing and advance left lights in Kelowna are another topic all together! (and really *bleep* me off sometimes)
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
spooker

Post by spooker »

Dizzy1 wrote:Time the lights so when you leave a green light, do the speed limit then the next light will actually turn green instead of yellow - then I'd agree with you.

i.e. Springfield from Leckie eastward? works great for me but I see a lot of people not paying attention and getting stuck until I catch up to them ...

The reason that we will never be happy with traffic is because we won't let go of the idea that there is some "perfect" solution to starting/stopping all the time ... no lights and the same speed and jams still develop, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wm-pZp_mi0
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

rookie314 wrote:Awesome!! I know the family and condolences for JoJo. A young vibrant life cut short by a blatent disregard for the rules of the road. I live near McCurdy, used to walk my dog down that road. Reminded everytime I go by there by the memorial on the side of the road. I quit walking down that road because of insane enititled drivers If you went 50, the limit, heck 60 even 70, you"ld get mowed over, passed on the double solid, curve or not and given the finger plus horn by some nut job. Time to crack down on people who think its their god given right to put the rest of us in danger. Lock him up.

Do we want the police to enforce the law better? Be more strict? Have a bigger presence?
I do. But when I hear people talk, and read comments people make about police, it sounds like people want to see fewer cops and less enforcement.
For instance, you see a speed trap on the side of the highway. LOTS of people complain that the cops should be dealing with REAL issues, not speeders. You read that someone got arrested for selling weed or just having a bag of weed on them, and you hear lots of complaints that these cops are enforcing the wrong laws.
What do we want from our police force? They work for us. They protect us. And we continue to hamstring them so that they can't effectively enforce the law. We continue to not provide enough money to have enough officers. Whenever they act to protect us, we (society), call for the individual officers to be fired or arrested.

My point is that the police are in a tough place. We put them there and, over and over again, wonder why and how they got there.

I think it would be great if road sensors would restrict cars from exceeding a given speed. Like, work as a restriction governor on the car. Yahoo wants to drive way too fast for the road, well, you can't. The car will max you out at a speed determined by the residents of the neighborhood or the city. Anyone caught bypassing that governor system would lose their license for good. just my 2 cents on it. There is no reason for people to be killed on the road just because of someone elses carelessness.
Dawggss

Post by Dawggss »

Time for technology to be put into place...
Photo radar IS very effective in changing driver behavior, and if you disagree - tell me what your reaction and behavior will be after receiving a ticket or 2 in the mail for your "breaking of the law"!

This is not a revenue grab or tax - as only those who break the law will be fined. Obey and there is 0 consequence.

I received a 140 Euro photo radar ticket from France (know exactly where I made the error) for going 56 in a 50 kph zone.
That hurts - but let me tell you, I have not sped when driving the residential roads of France on subsequent trips.
Make the fine significant, and it reinforces the need to obey the posted limit and protect residential, playground, school, park areas from the dangers of speeding.

This is may be the only option in residential policing / speeding policing due to manpower and financial constraints.
“Left vs Right is an out-dated concept and an oversimplification of the 21st Century.” James Morcan

“What if I told you that the Left Wing and the Right Wing belong to the same bird?”

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”