Turning Left Into Capri Mall & BCAA Is Illegal!!!

Home of the traffic rant.
shordanna

Re: Turning Left Into Capri Mall & BCAA Is Illegal!!!

Post by shordanna »

"Turning Left Into BCAA Is Illegal!!!"

Actually, due to my job of being on the Okanagan roads 40 hours a week, turning left into BCAA (if it's the Service Center near the Oriental Supermarket), is completely legal during the non-busy hours up until 7 AM, daily.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

I think there are some here who confusing "illegal" with "discourteous".
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Whoa, I wish I had some people's problems.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

KL3-Something wrote:I think there are some here who confusing "illegal" with "discourteous".

So are we to assume the OP is wrong and there is no chance of a crackdown at said locations? :D
oko11
Fledgling

Post by oko11 »

Of course he's wrong. Almost everyone on these forums are wrong. They post information received from a neighbour's friend's cousin's nephew as gospel without checking the facts.

If you take the time to check the motor vehicle act, you will see it is legal to cross a single or double solid line to make a left turn if it is safe to do so.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

oko11 wrote:Of course he's wrong. Almost everyone on these forums are wrong. They post information received from a neighbour's friend's cousin's nephew as gospel without checking the facts.

If you take the time to check the motor vehicle act, you will see it is legal to cross a single or double solid line to make a left turn if it is safe to do so.

And, if you're not impeding traffic.

Pretty easy. Just read the MVA.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

But the key word in all this is "impeding" and exactly what that means. Impeding one vehicle for 5 seconds, impeding 5 vehicles for 10 seconds ? Its all a bit vague really isn't it. Like i said earlier i doubt there is ever a serious enough impeding of traffic at these locations to warrant police interference.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

dodgerdodge wrote: i doubt there is ever a serious enough impeding of traffic at these locations to warrant police interference.

But, plenty enough of an impediment that one, through courtesy to others, would serve the motoring
public better, by choosing an alternate entrance option when it is showing to be an obvious disruption,
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

dirtybiker wrote:
But, plenty enough of an impediment that one, through courtesy to others, would serve the motoring
public better, by choosing an alternate entrance option when it is showing to be an obvious disruption,

My guess is even if they were to put up a "no left turn" sign and some meridian to force people to move to the next entrance we would still see plenty of idiots attempt the turn judging by other similar instances around town.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

First world problems.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

kelowna_proud wrote:Wow.....because your turning over a solid yellow line into a business and impeding traffic 99.9% of time in those locations.

lightspeed wrote:Sadly, not everyone knows the rules of the road and/or how to operate their motor vehicle correctly. Pressing the pedals and basic coordination is about as far as some people get.

You're correct. Not everyone knows the rules of the road. Yourself and Kelowna_proud included. Read Section 156 of the Motor Vehicle Act.

There are explicit provisions for crossing the solid yellow (or double-yellow) line. You can be sure that if there is an accident you will most certainly be found at fault. You can also be given a ticket if you cause a huge obstruction (blocking a lot of traffic). However, you won't get a ticket for simply crossing the line in order to enter/exit a driveway as the MVA expressly permits it.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”