Signal goes RED after Arrow @ Springfield & Leckie?

Home of the traffic rant.
kelowna_proud
Fledgling

Signal goes RED after Arrow @ Springfield & Leckie?

Post by kelowna_proud »

Can anyone explain why at the intersection of Springfield turning left onto Leckie the turn Arrow goes to RED and doesn't stay switch to simply solid green. The other 4 lanes going either way are green. So many times i'm sitting there at that Red light to turn left and all 4 lanes are green and there is no one coming!!!!

I know a few on the highway are like that but I understand because of speed. Glenmore and Summit. That light goes green after the turn arrow. Who the hell can I complain to?
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Re: Signal goes RED after Arrow @ Springfield & Leckie?

Post by whatwhat »

Well it is like that so you can only turn left on the advanced green. I am guessing there has probably been enough accidents there that they felt the need to put that type of advanced green in verses the other one.

You could probably call the city to complain, or learn some patience.
hail Satan y'all
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I suspect because of the speed people drive on Springfield and also run the red.

I find it frustrating as well so I will go a different route rather than sit at the light.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
kelowna_proud
Fledgling

Post by kelowna_proud »

If you look at the intersection of Glenmore Drive & Summit/High they are almost identical to Springfield. Both are 60 km/h and both are 4 lanes. Not to mention Leckie is actually 2 lanes! Summit is only 1 lane!

When its RED @ Springfield and you want to turn left you can see traffic coming way around the corner. Same as Glenmore Drive turning left onto Summit.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

kelowna_proud wrote:If you look at the intersection of Glenmore Drive & Summit/High they are almost identical to Springfield. Both are 60 km/h and both are 4 lanes. Not to mention Leckie is actually 2 lanes! Summit is only 1 lane!

When its RED @ Springfield and you want to turn left you can see traffic coming way around the corner. Same as Glenmore Drive turning left onto Summit.

As suggested contact the CoK for explanation, if you want to know the exact reason.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

GordonH wrote: if you want to know the exact reason.

Good one !! [icon_lol2.gif]

There is no rhyme or reason to how the lights work in our hood !
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Lights in this configuration are common.

In the old days, they were rare and usually only used at high speed intersections (Think Reid's corner). But in the last 5-10 years they've been using this configuration at many "high crash" intersections.

I've been honked at by the vehicle behind me on multiple occasions for not turning left against the red. Tho it hasn't happened for a few years as I think Kelownians are getting used to the signal pattern.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

I've gotta admit, it's annoying at 2AM.
Your bias suits you.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Woodenhead wrote:I've gotta admit, it's annoying at 2AM.

Not if you don't make a habit of being stranded there.

Only once for me, I'll do my best to not ever turn there again.

There are better routes that keep one moving.

I detest the powers that be who have totally screwed the original
intent of traffic light operation over-all.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
spooker

Post by spooker »

The City does not make these changes to frustrate you personally ... most of the drivers on this forum and good and thoughtful behind the wheel and have the deepest ICBC discount based on a collision-free record ...

Unfortunately the whole reason for insurance is for everyone else out there who don't drive as well as we do ... the data shows that the intersection of Leckie & Springfield is an issue with people trying to squeak by on the yellow too often when the light wasn't stopping the left turn lane ...

As much as the CoK and MoTI frustrate me ... I have to hope that overall there is a reason for it ... as citizens we have to ask for those reasons rather than just complain ... that's the responsibility we need to understand
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

kelowna_proud wrote:Who the hell can I complain to?

You can complain to me. I'll listen and commiserate with you. I feel your pain brother, I feel it. All kidding aside, there are some crazy lights in this area. Kinda why I don't bother trying to get anywhere quickly, speeding doesn't get you anywhere other than to a longer wait at the next light.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

dirtybiker wrote:
Woodenhead wrote:I've gotta admit, it's annoying at 2AM.

Not if you don't make a habit of being stranded there.

nah. Just go through it, never anyone around. :up:
It's actually a very fast light; honestly, every light I hit (if they are even red to begin with) going home at night starts changing the instant I roll up to it. I'm just not big on the behaviour during the day for lights like the one in question when traffic is heavy. It's wrong, IMHO. Luckily, I can't say I ever have a problem there, on the one or two occasions a month when I hit it before midnight.
Your bias suits you.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”