Lane split for bikers

Home of the traffic rant.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Re: Lane split for bikers

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Something tells me you have never seen some of these guys ride on the highway..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

hobbyguy wrote:Maybe it is a covert plan to deal with biker gangs?

it will work then :up:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

w84u2 wrote:
hobbyguy wrote:Maybe it is a covert plan to deal with biker gangs?

With those big handle bars, they can't lane split without damaging two cars on either side. Besides biker gangs don't want to go fast, they want to go slow and loud so that they can get as much attention as possible, perhaps because their mothers didn't give them enough at a crucial, breast feeding period of their lives.........Maybe that explains their girlfriends and their need to ride an 800# vibrator, covered in leather. Just saying........

and that's the truth
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

The Head Up the Butt attitude of drivers makes lane splitting a bad idea.
Just the thought of a person getting through traffic more efficiently than another
is enough to cause some people fits of rage.

That is enough of a deterrent for me. Oh that, and my feelings through observation
that a very large portion of the motoring public neither have the skill set, aptitude,
focus, or desire to be competent behind the wheel.

Personally, I parked my road bikes several years ago and, stick to the dirt or the track.

Much safer.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Rider59
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rider59 »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:Something tells me you have never seen some of these guys ride on the highway..

Yup, their pretty wild, side by side at 120+kph. Most are awesome riders.
Fast, Good or Cheap. Pick Two
kumazatheef
Board Meister

Post by kumazatheef »

Disclaimer: I'm not a motorcyclist.
I'm curious why 4-wheel drivers seemingly feel so entitled that they should not allow lane-splitting to happen.
Main arguments thus far seem to be increased risk of accidents: rebuttal: should drivers not be doing shoulder checks anyway? So is the fear of hurting a biker, or damaging your own vehicle? Because no one is forcing the motorcycles to lane split, it's up to them: if they feel it's dangerous, they won't do it. If you feel it's potential for accident then do your due diligence and shoulder check ... because same rule applies to changing lanes where a 4-wheeler is ... point being: always be aware of the vehicles around you.
So what else does that leave as a counter-point for lane-splitting? Is it jealousy that someone is getting in front of you in line? Because if someone is in front of you and they leave the line then that means you can move up further so it's actually an advantage.
What else .... is it just a deep disgruntle-ness for "those loud bikes"? That's an emotional argument not a rational one. Emotional knee-jerk reactions shouldn't be involved when operating a 4-wheel chunk of dangerous metal anyway.
Hmmm ... how about the sudden "scare" of a bike weaving in and out of traffic ... same rule applies to loud 4 wheels as well, and again: be aware of who's around you.

Provided that there's caveats for the speed in which lane-splitting is allowed (ex: overall speed as well as differential speed), and the lane is wide enough, then I'm all for it .... but then again, I've lived in other parts of the world where people would be confused why to not allow it.

So curious: what rational counter-points exist to not allow lane splitting?
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by w84u2 »

Let them use the bike lanes. They are empty most of the time anyways. Let them lane split with other two wheelers.
Computers allow people to make more mistakes in less time than anything since the invention of tequila and automatic weapons.
kumazatheef
Board Meister

Post by kumazatheef »

w84u2 wrote:Let them use the bike lanes. They are empty most of the time anyways. Let them lane split with other two wheelers.

The suggestion is to put motor-bikes with pedal-bikes in a narrower "lane"? All those non-existent bike lanes along Hwy 97 through Kelowna?
Also, per section 194(4) of MVA, "2 operators of motorcycles must not operate their motorcycles side by side "
spooker

Post by spooker »

w84u2 wrote:Let them use the bike lanes. They are empty most of the time anyways. Let them lane split with other two wheelers.

Thanks for pointing out how efficient the bike lanes are ... it'd be nice if all transportation systems could be efficient to always keep the traffic moving

The fallacy in your idea is that separated infrastructure needs to be there when the speed differential is gets higher than reaction speeds can handle ... if we could all be cruising along like we were in the Tour de France, i.e. 50-55kph, then it'd be easier to entertain ... sadly I top out at 38kph along Gordon ...
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by w84u2 »

kumazatheef wrote:

The suggestion is to put motor-bikes with pedal-bikes in a narrower "lane"? All those non-existent bike lanes along Hwy 97 through Kelowna?
Also, per section 194(4) of MVA, "2 operators of motorcycles must not operate their motorcycles side by side "

On Hwy 97, there is the HOV lane, motorcycles can use it anytime. Lane splitters can't ride side by side either.
Computers allow people to make more mistakes in less time than anything since the invention of tequila and automatic weapons.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

The differential speed would be too great.
The lane splitting is designed to keep the speeds fairly close together.

Plus as an officer politely put to me after pulling me over while operating a limited power motorcycle in the bike lane...... You cant legally travel over the fog line...if I see you again you will get a ticket.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I think it's stupid but after a couple of years of high injury claims, most won't be able to afford the insurance anyway.
kumazatheef
Board Meister

Post by kumazatheef »

kumazatheef wrote:

w84u2 wrote:On Hwy 97, there is the HOV lane, motorcycles can use it anytime. Lane splitters can't ride side by side either.

The goal posts have been moved .. original recommendation was the bike lane, now it's the HOV lane? You're correct in that motorcycles can use it any time, sorry, still failing to see the suggestion there ... There is an HOV lane in other places that allows lane-splitting as well because it serves different purposes ...
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

Bikers should learn to obey the law, no way they should ride in this type :200: of weather and roads.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

jimmy, the extra costs for the accidents will be added to everybody else's bill from ICBC.

I rode for over 40 years, and I had a group of about a dozen friends that I started riding with. Every single one of them who engaged in stuff like lane splitting either walks with a limp or is 6 ft under.

I too sold my last street bike a couple of years ago. The Okanagan roads are too full of tourists, who often make unpredictable moves because they are unfamiliar with where they are.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”