Lane split for bikers

Home of the traffic rant.
twobits
Guru

Re: Lane split for bikers

Post by twobits »

kumazatheef wrote:
Also, per section 194(4) of MVA, "2 operators of motorcycles must not operate their motorcycles side by side "

So if two bikes side by side in a 10 ft wide lane is not permitted, and with logical safety reasons behind it, how can a bike passing in between two vehicles that can have even less than two feet between them at any given moment possibly be considered to be safe?
This becoming a legal option for bikes just screams higher insurance premiums for everybody.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Lane splitting eliminates the problem of motorcycles riding side by side.. :biggrin:

It work in California, and a big part of it is the penalties given to drivers that interfere with it.
That is a key piece of making it happen.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
kumazatheef
Board Meister

Post by kumazatheef »

twobits wrote:
kumazatheef wrote:
Also, per section 194(4) of MVA, "2 operators of motorcycles must not operate their motorcycles side by side "

So if two bikes side by side in a 10 ft wide lane is not permitted, and with logical safety reasons behind it, how can a bike passing in between two vehicles that can have even less than two feet between them at any given moment possibly be considered to be safe?
This becoming a legal option for bikes just screams higher insurance premiums for everybody.

While 10ft is the minimum lane width (well, technically 3m), the recommended width is 4.6m (15ft); however in Kelowna it's probably closer to 3.6m (12ft), per the current Hwy97 6-laning construction. But let's put that aside, and assume 10ft wide lanes with a 2 ft wide gap, that implies vehicles are 8ft wide whereas on average they're closer to 5.5-6.5 ft, so in fact that "gap" would be closer to 4ft wide ... but again, as mentioned Kelowna's Hwy 97 portion is closer to 12 ft wide, so in effect that's leaving 6ft wide, which "back of the napkin calculations" suggests plenty of room for a motorbike ... naturally, the presence of a 18-wheeler semi, or larger motorhomes throw a wrench into that ...

But again : the choice would be up to a motorcycle and my suggestion would only apply at a slow (ex: crawling) traffic speed.

I am curious about the implication of insurance premiums though ... if someone rear-ends you, do your premiums go up? Especially if they're 100% at fault? (If that's the case, don't tell ICBC because I've been cracked a few times without nary a change, so shhh, don't tell them).... same would apply to motorbikes: they would be responsible and if they crash into you then they're at fault, provided you didn't turn into them, in which case, and again: how's that any different than changing lanes into a 4-wheeler.

Just out of curiosity, what's the correlation to people nay-saying on the lane-spliting vs. nay-saying on traffic circles vs. driven on non-North American roads??
Zoso
Übergod

Post by Zoso »

I am an avid rider . I am against lane splitting , only because it startles drivers. Riding the shoulder i agree with and have done it when everything is backed up . Riding at half a mile an hour in 40 degrees is awful . Bikes are not built to do it . Be easier when we all convert to electric . I found they are easy to ride slow and they dont produce heat in those situations .
Strong and free
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:Lane splitting eliminates the problem of motorcycles riding side by side.. :biggrin:

It work in California, and a big part of it is the penalties given to drivers that interfere with it.
That is a key piece of making it happen.

Nearly one in five motorcycle accidents in California are due to lane splitting. You call that working?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Hey, got any idea how many left turn bike accidents n BC ?
And how many of those are the bikes fault..
I am not sure I believe that one in five figure..
They been doing it for over 30 years, and not then but now it is legal..
If it was that bad they would have done something about it..
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Some good points made;
A proper lane split to me is when traffic is stopped, no chance of movement/

A time and a place that makes sense.

Rolling to the front at Traffic Control, Construction, BC Ferries, Wrecks, is one thing.

Splitting lanes at a dozen lights or more during a commute is a whole different game.

"Calculated Risk"

"Deleted by Poster" not in anyone's blind spots, Master of ones own destiny.

Our area's traffic patterns here though are inconsistent, Traffic lights are plentiful and programming
of them is a variable,
Creating traffic that is always in transition, more Stop than Go.

Really not ideal for a rider,

If the traffic starts to move before the rider rolling up the middle makes it to the front though,
Then that rider is now caged !

"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

kumazatheef wrote:Also, per section 194(4) of MVA, "2 operators of motorcycles must not operate their motorcycles side by side "

Which MVA are you reading? The BC Motor Vehicle Act, 194(4) states:

194 (4) A person who is operating a motorcycle must not permit another person under the age of 16 to ride on the motorcycle in contravention of
(a) subsection (2), or
(b) subsection (3).

source

It looks like you're attempting to quote l194(10) - except that you're wrong.

194 (10) Except when overtaking and passing other motorcycles, more than 2 operators of motorcycles must not operate their motorcycles side by side in the same direction in the same traffic lane.

Two motorcycle operators are permitted to ride side by side in the same traffic lane, as explicitly stated in the MVA.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

kumazatheef wrote:

twobits wrote:So if two bikes side by side in a 10 ft wide lane is not permitted, and with logical safety reasons behind it

Kumazatheef is wrong. Re-think your argument, as the information you are quoting regarding two motorcycles riding side-by-side was factually incorrect.

kumazatheef wrote:how can a bike passing in between two vehicles that can have even less than two feet between them at any given moment possibly be considered to be safe?

Are you talking about "at speed" (ie., doing 50kph), or bikes filtering through lines of stopped traffic?
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

twobits wrote:Nearly one in five motorcycle accidents in California are due to lane splitting. You call that working?

Sounds like you're trying to present facts. Please provide a suitable link to the California DMV report backing up those stats.
kumazatheef
Board Meister

Post by kumazatheef »

twobits wrote:Nearly one in five motorcycle accidents in California are due to lane splitting. You call that working?

2nd-ed on the sources, just curious. One of the ones I found:
http://www.mercurynews.com/2016/03/07/r ... gislature/
Granted year ago:
a UC Berkeley study concluded that lane splitting is no more dangerous than motorcycling in general, if the rider is going at speeds similar to or only slightly faster than surrounding traffic.

Though would be interested in alternate stats.

Re: 194(4) ... or should I say 194(10)
36Drew wrote:It looks like you're attempting to quote 194(10)

Yup, you're right, bad copy paste, my bad.

36Drew wrote:Two motorcycle operators are permitted to ride side by side in the same traffic lane, as explicitly stated in the MVA.

The original premise was based on:
w84u2 wrote:Let them use the bike lanes.

In conjunction with
(10) Except when overtaking and passing other motorcycles,

So in the case of lane-splitting, a motorcycle is not overtaking another a motorcycle, but a motor vehicle ... and putting a a motorcycle in same lane as a pedal bicycle is scary as the speed differential is so much greater.

As for:
36Drew wrote:
kumazatheef wrote:how can a bike passing in between two vehicles that can have even less than two feet between them at any given moment possibly be considered to be safe?

Are you talking about "at speed" (ie., doing 50kph), or bikes filtering through lines of stopped traffic?

This looks like an incorrect quote or copy/paste (or phpBB's max for nested quotes) as that quote attributed to myself should be attributed to twobits.

Regardless, for "at speed" vs. "filtering", that's where my premise of the need for laws on "overall speed" vs. "differential" speed would come into place. I would propose something like a max speed of 50km/h, but not more than 20km/h for traffic around it.

But again: this would be up to the rider. I doubt riders would do that in some parts of Kelowna. And keep in mind this would apply to all of B.C.... so areas of the lower mainland would be more adept to this since the lanes are wider. Once again, have to think outside the Okanagan Valley.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

My opinion as rider for 46+ yrs.
If legal lane splitting, and realistic guidelines were to have been put in
place maybe 25 or 30 years ago, it would be the norm now, and likely
work fairly smoothly,
Not putting undue risk of collision any more, or less than there already is.

To try and implement Lane Splitting into todays traffic volumes coupled
with the inattentiveness, and seemingly lack of understanding of vehicle
dynamics, as well as attitudes.
I'm thinking not a good idea.

Filtering though, (Thanks 36Drew) through stopped traffic should not be a big deal.

Lane Splitting takes place when all traffic is moving. A "No" vote from me.
Filtering through stopped traffic. "Yes" vote from me.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

This is one time I would really like to see a trip or junket,by the powers to be to go down, observe, and consult with the CHP on the viability of this situation..
Noisy Boater
Übergod

Post by Noisy Boater »

I have always wanted to open the door or casually lane drift when I see one of these idiots fudging there way through traffic. Stay in line and wait your turn . Why is it you think you are so important that you have to get ahead of me ? Its the me first attitude and you are a jacka$$.
Did You Have A Big Bowl Of Stupid For Breakfast ? I Have 8 Billion Gazillion Likes.
DarkMagna

Post by DarkMagna »

Noisy Boater wrote:I have always wanted to open the door or casually lane drift when I see one of these idiots fudging there way through traffic. Stay in line and wait your turn . Why is it you think you are so important that you have to get ahead of me ? Its the me first attitude and you are a jacka$$.

That, sir, is a horrible attitude.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”