Lane split for bikers

Home of the traffic rant.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Lane split for bikers

Post by the truth »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#187328 someone tell me this is April 1st and this is f :cuss: joke
most of the bikers-not all- i see on the road can not even stay in there proper lane let alone this,if this goes through i can see motorbike deaths skyrocket
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: lane split for bikers

Post by w84u2 »

Time to start a new business specializing in automotive, side-view, mirrors. That could be expanded to include scratch repairs.
Computers allow people to make more mistakes in less time than anything since the invention of tequila and automatic weapons.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Lane split for bikers

Post by GordonH »

If this does pass BC Ambulance Services better hire a bunch more paramedics & ambulances.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

GordonH wrote:If this does pass BC Ambulance Services better hire a bunch more paramedics & ambulances.

i would think so
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
MCB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by MCB »

If this goes through, I see more Darwin Awards being handed out in the future!
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

oooooooooooooooooo ya
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

While some people say it's safe, I'd rather have motorcyclists use highway shoulders.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Just a really stupid idea. The last thing a vehicle driver needs is another concern to watch out for. You can't hear these bikes until they are right at your side window and then they startle the crap out of you. And if we are legally entitled to the space between the painted lines in the lane we are travelling in, I don't want someone on a bile behind me deciding he can squeeze thru with the two feet available on one side of me and the two feet available in the lane adjacent to me. This is just stupid.
California has allowed this for decades but only mandated HWY patrol to document accidents caused as a result of lane splitting for 14 months for a survey. The results showed that accidents involving motorcycles splitting lanes was responsible for 17% of all motorcycle accidents. That's nearly 1 in 5 accidents and says nothing of the collateral damage of the other vehicles involved.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Two questions for all that posted so far.
Do you ride a motorcycle on the street ?
Have you ever ridden in California and lane split ?

I have ridden down there and split lanes, it works well . Also you of course have the option not to do it as well
You guys are painting a doom and gloom scenario that is simply not happening down there..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
MCB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by MCB »

If the "split lanes" had markings to designate lane width it could work (but then they wouldn't be split, would they?), otherwise it just comes across as sketchy both for drivers and riders alike. I base my opinion soulfully upon observations of how drivers react around cyclists that ride directly on top of the lines that designate bike lanes or shoulders.
erinmore3775
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by erinmore3775 »

twobits wrote:Just a really stupid idea. The last thing a vehicle driver needs is another concern to watch out for. You can't hear these bikes until they are right at your side window and then they startle the crap out of you. And if we are legally entitled to the space between the painted lines in the lane we are travelling in, I don't want someone on a bile behind me deciding he can squeeze thru with the two feet available on one side of me and the two feet available in the lane adjacent to me. This is just stupid.
California has allowed this for decades but only mandated HWY patrol to document accidents caused as a result of lane splitting for 14 months for a survey. The results showed that accidents involving motorcycles splitting lanes was responsible for 17% of all motorcycle accidents. That's nearly 1 in 5 accidents and says nothing of the collateral damage of the other vehicles involved.

I agree with TB and I am an avid motorcyclist with over 50 years of riding experience. I have ridden the lane splitting higways of California. I have had two memorable "pucker-up" experiences one outside LA and the other near Palm Springs, both in stop and go traffic. Each involved a motorist who thought they could just cut into a small open space in traffic without checking the side mirror or doing a shoulder check. Both times I was thankful for ABS brakes and the fact that I was traveling much below the speed limit. I must point out that I had a bike that had street legal mufflers, perhaps if I had had a "straight pipes save lives equiped bike" the "morons" would not have pulled out in front of me.
While undertakers and collision businesses may be supportive of this highway act change I hope that others with great common sense would not support this change.
We won’t fight homelessness, hunger, or poverty, but we can fight climate change. The juxtaposition of the now and the future, food for thought.

"You make a living by what you get; you make a life by what you give." - Winston Churchill
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

If its good enough for the CHP motorcycle officers, its good enough for me..
And motorists there know the penalties are harsh for interfering with motorcyclists lane splitting, that is the big difference in making it work.
django
Board Meister

Post by django »

What could go wrong?

60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

That is lane splitting and speeding illegal. Rider error.
We get accidents almost daily on the Coq...even when dry.. Does that make it a dangerous road... Not at all. It usually means, Someone is speeding, not paying attention, that sort of thing...
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

django wrote:What could go wrong?

safe to say this would happen every day on harvey ave in the summer

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”