Traffic Lights Out?

Home of the traffic rant.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Traffic Lights Out?

Post by Grandan »

Traffic lights
Contributed - Feb 17, 2017 / 1:39 pm | Story: 189145
I have a question. Why, when a traffic light is out, is there no one there directing traffic?

My answer is that it would be life threatening to get into a 4 x 6 lane intersection and start waving your arms around. People don't know the rules of the road and go out of turn, I doubt there is much a traffic director could do to calm the chaos created.
There are so few human traffic directors around that people would not know how to follow them.
Waste not
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Traffic Lights Out?

Post by Fancy »

Or the powers that be assume drivers have completed a driving test and are aware that an intersection becomes an uncontrolled intersection and should be treated like a four way stop.
Sometimes traffic lights stop working properly. The lights can go out, or all four lights can start flashing. Treat the intersection like a four-way stop if this happens.

http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/Do ... ivers4.pdf
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Fancy wrote:Or the powers that be assume drivers have completed a driving test and are aware that an intersection becomes an uncontrolled intersection and should be treated like a four way stop.
Sometimes traffic lights stop working properly. The lights can go out, or all four lights can start flashing. Treat the intersection like a four-way stop if this happens.

http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/Do ... ivers4.pdf

So, who knows what to do at a 4 way stop anymore? It is bad enough that folks go out of turn but worse others wait until everyone else has gone before they venture out, a very frustrating situation from all points of view.
Waste not
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I should hope most as there are 4 way stops around.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

My guess by the time police can dispatch somebody there, the problem is already being worked on by electrician and few minutes later it's back to normal. In the meantime four way stop procedure kinda works though slows down the traffic.

Why fix something that works?
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Because it's unecessary. Treat it like a 4-way.

If you're unsure how to handle a 4 way, then please burn your license.
Last edited by lightspeed on Feb 20th, 2017, 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Grandan wrote:So, who knows what to do at a 4 way stop anymore? It is bad enough that folks go out of turn but worse others wait until everyone else has gone before they venture out, a very frustrating situation from all points of view.

Any drivers who does not know correct procedure at a 4 way stop should go directly to ICBC office at Dayton & Springfield, hand in their D/L immediately.

This driving basic 101
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

GordonH wrote:
Grandan wrote:So, who knows what to do at a 4 way stop anymore? It is bad enough that folks go out of turn but worse others wait until everyone else has gone before they venture out, a very frustrating situation from all points of view.

Any drivers who does not know correct procedure at a 4 way stop should go directly to ICBC office at Dayton & Springfield, hand in their D/L immediately.

This driving basic 101

They'll need to hire more staff. That place would be so busy.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”