#77 on you Cell Phone

Home of the traffic rant.
CountryAtHeart
Lord of the Board

#77 on you Cell Phone

Post by CountryAtHeart »

This is extremely important, especially for woman to remember. I got this in an e-mail but thought it important to share here.

ALWAYS BE SAFE !
For Canadians living in Canada , this may be
useful information to remember.
Lauren was 19 yr. old and in college. This story takes place over the Christmas/New Year's holiday
break. It was the Saturday before New Year's and it was about 1PM in the afternoon, and Lauren was driving to visit a friend.
An UNMARKED police car pulled up behind her and put his lights on. Lauren's parents have 4 children (high school and college age) and have always told them never to pull over for an unmarked car on the side of the road, but rather wait until they get a
gas station, etc., so Lauren had actually listened to her parents advice, and promptly called #77 on her
cell phone to tell the police dispatcher that she
would not pull over right away. She proceeded to tell the dispatcher that there was an unmarked
police car with a flashing red light on his rooftop
behind her. The dispatcher checked to see if there where police cars where she was and there wasn't and he told her to keep driving,remain calm and that he had back up already on the way. Ten minutes later 4 cop cars surrounded her and the unmarked car behind her.One policeman went to her side and the others surrounded the car behind. They pulled the guy from the car and tackled him to the ground.... the man was a convicted rapist and wanted for other crimes. I never knew about the #77 Cell Phone Feature, but especially for
a woman alone in a car,you should not pull over for
an unmarked car. Apparently police have to respect your right to keep going to a "safe" place You obviously need to make some signals that you acknowledge them (i.e. put on your hazard lights) or call #77 like Lauren did. too bad the cell phone companies don't give you this little bit of
wonderful information. So now it's your turn to let
your friends know about #77.
Send this to every person you know, it may
save their life
PS: This happened to a woman just off #1
highway, east of Calgary because of a similar incident as the above.

After I find my cell phone I am going to try this out if it a scam I am going to hunt down the e-mail sender and #@$%^&*!!!!!!
Last edited by CountryAtHeart on Apr 19th, 2007, 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
eyepop
Lord of the Board

Post by eyepop »

:-s

i thought Lauren was from Virginia..

or was that Australia? Dorset UK?

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/mayhem/fakecop.asp

#77 works in SOME states.

This is extremely important, especially for women to remember...

dial 911.

CountryAtHeart
Lord of the Board

Post by CountryAtHeart »

With humbliest (SP?) apologies to everyone, I just called the local detachment...they don't know anything about it........SO!

I am now on a rampage!!!!!!

Again...apologies!
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Nothing that needs apologies IMO. The information is wrong but the subject of how to deal with such situations very important.

And it's all fine if you happen to have a cell phone and are in a zone where you can make a 911 call. But if you do not have a 'phone or are in a non signal strength area you are hooped anyway.

And my opinion is that you shouldn't rely on the vehicle trying to pull you over being a police car even if it looks like one in your rear view mirror. So I would not pull over in any case until I reached a lit area with other people around. I would slow, put on my 4 ways, wave my hand out the window and signal that I intended to keep moving to a safe place to pull over. A real cop will have no problem with that in most cases, and a spoof cop will take off.

Nabcom
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
CountryAtHeart
Lord of the Board

Post by CountryAtHeart »

Nabcom wrote:Nothing that needs apologies IMO. The information is wrong but the subject of how to deal with such situations very important.

And it's all fine if you happen to have a cell phone and are in a zone where you can make a 911 call. But if you do not have a 'phone or are in a non signal strength area you are hooped anyway.

And my opinion is that you shouldn't rely on the vehicle trying to pull you over being a police car even if it looks like one in your rear view mirror. So I would not pull over in any case until I reached a lit area with other people around. I would slow, put on my 4 ways, wave my hand out the window and signal that I intended to keep moving to a safe place to pull over. A real cop will have no problem with that in most cases, and a spoof cop will take off.

Nabcom

Thanks Nab Don't feel like quite the person now :127:
signgrrrl
Fledgling

Post by signgrrrl »

Just like the killer lipstick one, or the guy with the perfume samples in the parking lot, or every sob story that comes around! Almost every email you get like that you can pretty much guarantee it has been floating around on the net for years!
dandynick5
Guru

Post by dandynick5 »

Or Bill Gates giving each of us some amount of money!
This signature may be a forgery.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

dandynick5 wrote:Or Bill Gates giving each of us some amount of money!
But Bill Montgomery from Oklahoma received a cheque for 15,000 right away, it has to be true :127:
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

NOOOO its all true true i tell you!.. there's a widow dying in Africa who is going to send 1.3 million dollars to my bank account when I post her all my bank details! I have to be quick though because she has'nt got long left :smt023
mechanic_virus
Lord of the Board

Post by mechanic_virus »

I just got an e-mail very similar to that today in my inbox - except a rich man with no family died and in order to release the money they need my help - there's 7 million in it for me! The rest goes to a bunch of really worthy charities. I'm going to be rich!
Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

~ Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

7MIL R U kidding..

I wonrt even email back for under 20 MILLION..... :1419:

Besides I am having a hard time spending the last 23 million I got from my Nigeria benefactors............. :123:

I suppose 7 mil aint so bad if you are just starting out.. :145:
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”