Lord of the Board

Re: Spandex alert!!

Post by LTD »

another one who feels the rules of the road don't apply to him
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

A little (or a lot) of self preservation should also come into play.

Don't expect the general public to save your life.

Save your own.

Don't be a duffus.

Did anyone miss the part where said duffus came, out of a parking area, across the path.
straight into the roadway ?

Why would anyone defend such an action ?

How about this, I was taught to ride with self preservation.
That means not putting oneself into a position where you have to rely on
someone else not to hit you.

Ride so no one has a chance to.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

I have said this before............single cyclists (not thieves riding stolen bikes) seem to have more "grey matter" when on the road than when in the groups. These groups ALWAYS seem to have a "leader" who thinks he is a cycling god. I speak from years of experience and it did not take me long to realize I was much better off myself or with ONE other rider. I rode or the two of us rode with AWARENESS as the NUMBER ONE importance. It appears that the "cycling gangs" are more interested in confrontation than preservation.

Its too bad that the Fortis or Hydro truck in the above comment did not swing open his door at an opportune time............would have been hilarious if caught on video and a great addition to "Cycling Bloopers".
spooker

Post by spooker »

LTD wrote:yes youre correct if theres a bike lane theyre required to use it a path is different

Ummm ... no, there is no "requirement" to use the infrastructure ... many times it's the safest place to be but not always ... I've had a few people open their windows and question my placement just right of the turning lane from south-bound Richter onto Bernard ... had to explain that I am making a left-turn at Lawrence and it's the best practice to make sure I'm not trying to thread the needle in traffic getting from the bike lane to the left turn lane a block ahead ... when I make my intentions clear the majority of drivers have no issues

And we've had the discussion before that when the bike lane is full of winter sand it's also not safe for cyclists ...

dirtybiker wrote:Why would anyone defend such an action ?

I must've missed it where someone defended the cyclist in your original description ...

Queen K wrote:Except for older guy in spandex, on a bike. He cut across the lane in front of the advancing cars and carved his own path down on what would be my right hand side and came with in a foot or so of the Fortis (?) or Hydro truck parked on the right (hence one way traffic) and riding downhill without barely a brake used. I could see the incredulous look on the flagbears face as she watched him ride close to the work truck.

Yep, idiot ... work zones are so messy that if you're not wearing a hardhat you should be slowing the f-down and making sure you're not about to be a hazard to yourself or anyone else ...

lesliepaul wrote:Its too bad that the Fortis or Hydro truck in the above comment did not swing open his door at an opportune time............would have been hilarious if caught on video and a great addition to "Cycling Bloopers".

Tell that to Patricia Keenan's now 12-year-old son ... https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/144167/injured-cyclist-passes
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

youre required to ride as close to the right as you safely can which would be the bike lane if there is one
spooker

Post by spooker »

LTD wrote:youre required to ride as close to the right as you safely can which would be the bike lane if there is one

The actual terminology is "ride as near as practicable to the right side of the highway" ... if you go to any certified training course you'll find that this allows for a lot of flexibility when it comes to interpreting "safely" ... mainly based on the fact that getting out of the sight line of cars has a tendency to make cyclists disappear which causes issues

And cyclists getting ready to make left turns are instructed to stay on the right of the right-most left lane that allows turning ...

I'm not trying to say you're wrong, I'm trying to explain that it's not that simple ... ever tried using a bike lane in the winter when the city uses it for "snow storage"?

Cyclists don't want to die ... and no one driving a car wants to kill anyone ... but that can't be accomplished without each other
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

spooker wrote:
LTD wrote:youre required to ride as close to the right as you safely can which would be the bike lane if there is one

The actual terminology is "ride as near as practicable to the right side of the highway" ... if you go to any certified training course you'll find that this allows for a lot of flexibility when it comes to interpreting "safely" ... mainly based on the fact that getting out of the sight line of cars has a tendency to make cyclists disappear which causes issues

And cyclists getting ready to make left turns are instructed to stay on the right of the right-most left lane that allows turning ...

I'm not trying to say you're wrong, I'm trying to explain that it's not that simple ... ever tried using a bike lane in the winter when the city uses it for "snow storage"?

Cyclists don't want to die ... and no one driving a car wants to kill anyone ... but that can't be accomplished without each other

Winter cycling might be ok in Phoenix. Less practical in BC.

Im not sure this "active transportation" obsession (anti car manifesto) with turning everyone into a cycling communist was though through properly.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
spooker

Post by spooker »

lightspeed wrote:Winter cycling might be ok in Phoenix. Less practical in BC.

Im not sure this "active transportation" obsession (anti car manifesto) with turning everyone into a cycling communist was though through properly.

Winter cycling not practical? Tell that to the cyclists in Edmonton or Winnipeg ... I bought my first winter cycling DVD from a group up there in 2010 ... I love getting out in the winter ... refreshing when the drivers aren't sliding all over the place pretending they know what they're doing ...

Who's anti-car? I just replaced my nice small car with a Ford F-350 ... which is a great way to transport my mountain bikes up the mountain after my legs get tired ... it's a necessity now that my daughter is getting closer to having a full-size bike and our need for more than just 2 places on the bike rack for travelling ...

Studies showed years ago that the majority of cyclists also owned cars ... I don't think that has changed too much other than a slight movement to many giving up their cars when they live in areas with great transit or high density ... so "cycling communist" doesn't apply in as much as I think you want to imply ...
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

spooker wrote:
lightspeed wrote:Winter cycling might be ok in Phoenix. Less practical in BC.

Winter cycling not practical? Tell that to the cyclists in Edmonton or Winnipeg ... I bought my first winter cycling DVD from a group up there in 2010 ... I love getting out in the winter ... refreshing when the drivers aren't sliding all over the place pretending they know what they're doing ...

Who's anti-car? I just replaced my nice small car with a Ford F-350 ... which is a great way to transport my mountain bikes up the mountain after my legs get tired ... it's a necessity now that my daughter is getting closer to having a full-size bike and our need for more than just 2 places on the bike rack for travelling ...

Studies showed years ago that the majority of cyclists also owned cars ... I don't think that has changed too much other than a slight movement to many giving up their cars when they live in areas with great transit or high density ... so "cycling communist" doesn't apply in as much as I think you want to imply ...

you need an f350 to pack around a few mountain bikes
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Bike racks are so last year....

spooker

Post by spooker »

LTD wrote:you need an f350 to pack around a few mountain bikes

Where I want to go requires the 4x4 ... and I have a lot of friends to ride with ... plus I figured it must be fun to have this type of vehicle since you seem to enjoy it so much ...
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

I don't drive an f350
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

spooker wrote:
LTD wrote:you need an f350 to pack around a few mountain bikes

Where I want to go requires the 4x4 ... and I have a lot of friends to ride with ... plus I figured it must be fun to have this type of vehicle since you seem to enjoy it so much ...

No lift kit no care.

southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

The knives should come out on this one. Yes we have a world championship event coming to Penticton and yes participants are starting to arrive and yes some of them feel it is quite all right to ride in the center of lane with the flow of traffic. Watch as they make left hand turns - that is if you see them making that left before they get wiped out. Bike lanes? Great idea especially for those who believe that its ok to be riding against the flow of traffic in them. Eastside Road = narrow road = cyclists = frustration. Naramata Road even with major construction = narrow road = no road = cyclists = frustration. Downtown Penticton = wider sidewalks = narrow road = cyclists = frustration. Yup I can hear it now - you can't paint 'em all with the same brush. Perhaps not but if those with the holier than though - I'm a pro - watch me ride attitude could be just a tad more respectful we could all get along a lot better.
cr125
Board Meister

Post by cr125 »

I think all sport bicycle riders, i.e., triathlon, biathlon, and whatever else Lon these bicycle people have to engage in, should have to pay to register their "ride" with I.C.B.C , say, $100.00 per year to use the roads and highways. They are not paying any road tax. bully for them by not using any fuel. Motorists are helping pave the roads, peddlers they think they have a right to ride on the painted fog line, and ride side by side. I think if you took a survey, the majority would say keep the events on a special closed course, say, like Area 27 in Oliver.

At least then one would not have to hammer on the brakes because some "spandex wearing person" had to pass his fellow spandex buddy on a blind corner, with traffic coming from behind. (Oh, and by the way, some of you should not be wearing spandex)
Do these people realize they will be on the *bleep* end of a collision with a vehicle?
When I was growing up, Mother always said, "When a car is coming, get your *bleep* off the road as far as possible"

They can pay a tax to I.C.B.C. , and use that money to widen the roads, for the bicycles. Those that choose to put on these events, Cities and sponsors, should make sure their event is as safe as it can be. Auto racing, motorcycle racing, on and off, They have designated facilities, off the main and secondary highways, so as not to endanger the motoring public, and much safer too, I might add..
We are told to give 3ft when going around a bicycle, if we did that we would be over the center line, and heading for on coming traffic
The people who organize these events should take whatever entry fees, if they charge such a thing, and use the money to create a closed course,( and I don't mean the highways,) or use the funds to widen the road for their "race". Maybe a seminar before the race, and remind them of the rules of the road

They should also be policed like motorists , and fined for riding side by side. And take those stupid ear phones out, so you can at least hear if a vehicle is coming up behind you.

The saddest part of it all, is one of these cyclists is going to get run over, and die, by no fault of the motorist, yet it will be the motorist who will still have to live with what happened for the rest of his life, all just so a
spandex wearing "person" had to go faster than his buddy. Hwy 97 and other BC roads are hard enough to try and travel on, without having to worry about a group of peddlers "practicing" on the 2ft strip of pavement on the side of the road.

I hope you get many flat tires and your spandex rides up your crack :biggrin:

A Concerned motorist

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”