Spandex alert!!

Home of the traffic rant.

Re: Spandex alert!!

Postby spooker » Aug 29th, 2017, 10:15 am

cr125 wrote:I think all sport bicycle riders, i.e., triathlon, biathlon, and whatever else Lon these bicycle people have to engage in, should have to pay to register their "ride" with I.C.B.C , say, $100.00 per year to use the roads and highways. They are not paying any road tax. bully for them by not using any fuel. Motorists are helping pave the roads, peddlers they think they have a right to ride on the painted fog line, and ride side by side. I think if you took a survey, the majority would say keep the events on a special closed course, say, like Area 27 in Oliver.

At least then one would not have to hammer on the brakes because some "spandex wearing person" had to pass his fellow spandex buddy on a blind corner, with traffic coming from behind. (Oh, and by the way, some of you should not be wearing spandex)
Do these people realize they will be on the *bleep* end of a collision with a vehicle?
When I was growing up, Mother always said, "When a car is coming, get your *bleep* off the road as far as possible"

They can pay a tax to I.C.B.C. , and use that money to widen the roads, for the bicycles. Those that choose to put on these events, Cities and sponsors, should make sure their event is as safe as it can be. Auto racing, motorcycle racing, on and off, They have designated facilities, off the main and secondary highways, so as not to endanger the motoring public, and much safer too, I might add..
We are told to give 3ft when going around a bicycle, if we did that we would be over the center line, and heading for on coming traffic
The people who organize these events should take whatever entry fees, if they charge such a thing, and use the money to create a closed course,( and I don't mean the highways,) or use the funds to widen the road for their "race". Maybe a seminar before the race, and remind them of the rules of the road

They should also be policed like motorists , and fined for riding side by side. And take those stupid ear phones out, so you can at least hear if a vehicle is coming up behind you.

The saddest part of it all, is one of these cyclists is going to get run over, and die, by no fault of the motorist, yet it will be the motorist who will still have to live with what happened for the rest of his life, all just so a
spandex wearing "person" had to go faster than his buddy. Hwy 97 and other BC roads are hard enough to try and travel on, without having to worry about a group of peddlers "practicing" on the 2ft strip of pavement on the side of the road.

I hope you get many flat tires and your spandex rides up your crack :biggrin:


A Concerned motorist


Couldn't agree with you more ... those darn cyclists are always out riding their bikes so they must not have a property to pay taxes on which we all know pay for the roads we drivers own by right of might ... and since they spend all that money on high-faluting carbon bikes they must not be able to afford cars so they don't pay any gas taxes, of which, a small portion *might* go back to municipalities to help pay for infrastructure ... and why do the police ignore them when they ride side-by-side, instead choosing to go after a tax-paying citizen buying gas to run a red light almost running over the pedestrian?

Just terrible ... should just ban cycling ... even though it's been around for 200 years it's not like it'll really survive since we have all the oil that we'll need for our lifetime ... drill baby drill!

Take our streets back! I want to socialize with other like-minded drivers while I wait for gridlock to disperse ... the feeling of yelling over some diesel-heads modified exhaust pouring out next to me makes me feel alive ...
--
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. -- Plato

2 people like this post.
User avatar
spooker
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 723
Likes: 626 posts
Liked in: 471 posts
Joined: May 12th, 2009, 4:18 pm
Location: Kelowna, BC, CA

Re: Spandex alert!!

Postby Queen K » Aug 29th, 2017, 10:18 am

:spitcoffee: Spooker. :up:
The NDP Government: 2017 thread is not in the Bickering Room. Money can't buy what I want for Christmas.

2 people like this post.
User avatar
Queen K
Queen of the Castle
 
Posts: 48453
Likes: 8689 posts
Liked in: 9542 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2007, 11:39 am
Location: What? You mean here?

Re: Spandex alert!!

Postby Bsuds » Aug 29th, 2017, 11:02 am

cr125 wrote:I think all sport bicycle riders, i.e., triathlon, biathlon, and whatever else Lon these bicycle people have to engage in, should have to pay to register their "ride" with I.C.B.C , say, $100.00 per year to use the roads and highways. They are not paying any road tax.


Yup they go all over North America for their races and never drive or fly or pay any taxes! (where is that BS emoticon when I Need it?)

spooker likes this post.
User avatar
Bsuds
The Wagon Master
 
Posts: 40915
Likes: 7081 posts
Liked in: 8909 posts
Joined: Apr 21st, 2005, 9:46 am

Re: Spandex alert!!

Postby cr125 » Aug 29th, 2017, 5:54 pm

Hey, aren't you the one who bought a f-350 to carry your bicycle around? If so, Does it not puke out a pile of diesel smoke,?
Hey Spooker, you got any liability insurance on that bicycle? just in case you run into my cool ride, and scratch it, or worse yet ,run over my dog,or small child.

I think you and your spandex buddies don't get it, YOU are the ones who are going to hurt BIG time if you get clipped by a mirror, all because you had to pass your buddy on a blind corner. no matter who's at fault. I think I read about some peddler t-boneing a vehicle in Penticton over the weekend hmmmm. I think us bad motorheads would not be so upset with you if you would at least try to move over a bit. I like riding also, but I have respect for bigger objects and move over and let them pass.

I am going to send a note to I.C.B.C. suggesting that these bicycle road warriors register their rides, 100.00 a year sounds good. I.C.B.C. is always looking for a way to generate more money!

and as always, not all of you should wear spandex,.. you know who you are :biggrin:
heres to flat tires on bicycles!
cr125
 
Posts: 21
Likes: 53 posts
Liked in: 11 posts
Joined: Oct 10th, 2016, 6:42 pm

Re: Spandex alert!!

Postby Queen K » Aug 29th, 2017, 6:14 pm

That flat tire on bikes thing is just mean.

And Spooker organized the ride to remember cyclists who have been killed while out riding. Critical Mass is what it is called and people from all over came out for it.

Don't talk down to him, k? And he has nice truck, so what? What is your point anyways? A lot of cyclists own vehicles too. So what?
The NDP Government: 2017 thread is not in the Bickering Room. Money can't buy what I want for Christmas.
User avatar
Queen K
Queen of the Castle
 
Posts: 48453
Likes: 8689 posts
Liked in: 9542 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2007, 11:39 am
Location: What? You mean here?

Re: Spandex alert!!

Postby cr125 » Aug 29th, 2017, 7:37 pm

Queen K wrote:That flat tire on bikes thing is just mean.

And Spooker organized the ride to remember cyclists who have been killed while out riding. Critical Mass is what it is called and people from all over came out for it.

Don't talk down to him, k? And he has nice truck, so what? What is your point anyways? A lot of cyclists own vehicles too. So what?



Queen, Try to read the entire post, you just proved my point, how many of these people died because they wandered over the fog line? I have no problem with cyclists owning vehicles, but don't start ragging on people because I choose to drive a vehicle, I don't have the time to ride a bike to town and shop or do errands. The majority of people I have spoke to, all say the same thing "you want to ride a bike, fine, but keep it off the main roads, ride on the extreme right of the 2ft shoulder.

Did you ever think that maybe I had a very close call with one of these professional riders, and he almost got killed? I write this because it scared the *bleep* outta me. Again, all we ask is that you move over as far as possible, not side by side so you can chit-chat
I gotta go buy stock in tire patch kits
That's all I got to say about that
cr125
 
Posts: 21
Likes: 53 posts
Liked in: 11 posts
Joined: Oct 10th, 2016, 6:42 pm

Re: Spandex alert!!

Postby spooker » Aug 30th, 2017, 5:17 am

cr125 wrote:Hey, aren't you the one who bought a f-350 to carry your bicycle around? If so, Does it not puke out a pile of diesel smoke,?
Hey Spooker, you got any liability insurance on that bicycle? just in case you run into my cool ride, and scratch it, or worse yet ,run over my dog,or small child.

I think you and your spandex buddies don't get it, YOU are the ones who are going to hurt BIG time if you get clipped by a mirror, all because you had to pass your buddy on a blind corner. no matter who's at fault. I think I read about some peddler t-boneing a vehicle in Penticton over the weekend hmmmm. I think us bad motorheads would not be so upset with you if you would at least try to move over a bit. I like riding also, but I have respect for bigger objects and move over and let them pass.

I am going to send a note to I.C.B.C. suggesting that these bicycle road warriors register their rides, 100.00 a year sounds good. I.C.B.C. is always looking for a way to generate more money!

and as always, not all of you should wear spandex,.. you know who you are :biggrin:
heres to flat tires on bicycles!


Yes, I am the cyclist with an F-350 ... it's called irony ... I didn't choose it, it chose me ... but that's a different story

Yes, I do have liability insurance when riding my bike ... pretty much every homeowner who pays for home insurance is also covered while riding a bike ... I haven't checked if there is a similar rider on renter's insurance ...

Talk to a cyclist, you'll find that they are very aware that in any collision they'll be lucky to wak away ... cyclists don't have an immortality complex ...

Yes, ICBC would love to take a cyclist's money ... but that won't go to pay for roads, and the rate at which cyclists are at fault or actual amounts of damage caused by bicycles is an insurer's dream ... they would be making so much money and having to pay out so little of it ...

No, cyclists aren't perfect ... but the psychology discussion around the attitude differences between drivers and cyclists would get too long for the venue ...

cr125 wrote:Queen, Try to read the entire post, you just proved my point, how many of these people died because they wandered over the fog line? I have no problem with cyclists owning vehicles, but don't start ragging on people because I choose to drive a vehicle, I don't have the time to ride a bike to town and shop or do errands. The majority of people I have spoke to, all say the same thing "you want to ride a bike, fine, but keep it off the main roads, ride on the extreme right of the 2ft shoulder.


Cyclists don't die because they wandered over the fog line, they die because driver aren't paying attention ...

Cycling isn't the solution for everyone, I'd refute anyone who says otherwise ... the reality of life currently requires some people to drive ...

Would you like truck drivers to decry regular passenger vehicles being on "main roads"? You're attitude towards other road users shows the typical discriminatory attitude that if applied would actually make it more dangerous ... segregation leads down a bad path ... there is no design that will always keep modes separated, so the best idea is for everyone to actually learn how to deal with each other respectfully ...

Cyclists don't get a choice as you pointed out to disrespect cars ... they're forced to on the penalty of death ...

Drivers get to choose to respect cyclists ... that's an interesting exercise in morality

Everyone has close calls ... with everyone distracted in one way or another that's the nature of our environment ... but I'm not calling for a ban on driving because of the last driver to pass too closely ...

Whether it be on this forum or even just some jerk screaming out their window that somehow they're offended by cyclists ... you'll just see me smile and wave ... people don't change their minds, no matter the rationale or logic, we're all screaming into the void and trying to survive ...
--
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. -- Plato
User avatar
spooker
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 723
Likes: 626 posts
Liked in: 471 posts
Joined: May 12th, 2009, 4:18 pm
Location: Kelowna, BC, CA

Re: Spandex alert!!

Postby lesliepaul » Aug 30th, 2017, 11:10 am

https://classifieds.castanet.net/detail ... 4/2762095/

Love this add................."hands-free" for safer riding. This mount is obviously old since it is for an IPhone 4 and no doubt the spandex gangs will complain its not made of Carbon Fibre.
lesliepaul
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 951
Likes: 4 posts
Liked in: 746 posts
Joined: Aug 7th, 2011, 12:56 pm

Re: Spandex alert!!

Postby spooker » Aug 30th, 2017, 11:41 am

lesliepaul wrote:https://classifieds.castanet.net/details/bike_mount_for_iphone_4/2762095/

Love this add................."hands-free" for safer riding. This mount is obviously old since it is for an IPhone 4 and no doubt the spandex gangs will complain its not made of Carbon Fibre.


If it's not steel I won't ride it ...
--
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. -- Plato
User avatar
spooker
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 723
Likes: 626 posts
Liked in: 471 posts
Joined: May 12th, 2009, 4:18 pm
Location: Kelowna, BC, CA

Re: Spandex alert!!

Postby cr125 » Aug 30th, 2017, 6:01 pm

spooker wrote:
cr125 wrote:Hey, aren't you the one who bought a f-350 to carry your bicycle around? If so, Does it not puke out a pile of diesel smoke,?
Hey Spooker, you got any liability insurance on that bicycle? just in case you run into my cool ride, and scratch it, or worse yet ,run over my dog,or small child.

I think you and your spandex buddies don't get it, YOU are the ones who are going to hurt BIG time if you get clipped by a mirror, all because you had to pass your buddy on a blind corner. no matter who's at fault. I think I read about some peddler t-boneing a vehicle in Penticton over the weekend hmmmm. I think us bad motorheads would not be so upset with you if you would at least try to move over a bit. I like riding also, but I have respect for bigger objects and move over and let them pass.

I am going to send a note to I.C.B.C. suggesting that these bicycle road warriors register their rides, 100.00 a year sounds good. I.C.B.C. is always looking for a way to generate more money!

and as always, not all of you should wear spandex,.. you know who you are :biggrin:
heres to flat tires on bicycles!


Yes, I am the cyclist with an F-350 ... it's called irony ... I didn't choose it, it chose me ... but that's a different story

Yes, I do have liability insurance when riding my bike ... pretty much every homeowner who pays for home insurance is also covered while riding a bike ... I haven't checked if there is a similar rider on renter's insurance ...

Talk to a cyclist, you'll find that they are very aware that in any collision they'll be lucky to wak away ... cyclists don't have an immortality complex ...

Yes, ICBC would love to take a cyclist's money ... but that won't go to pay for roads, and the rate at which cyclists are at fault or actual amounts of damage caused by bicycles is an insurer's dream ... they would be making so much money and having to pay out so little of it ...

No, cyclists aren't perfect ... but the psychology discussion around the attitude differences between drivers and cyclists would get too long for the venue ...

cr125 wrote:Queen, Try to read the entire post, you just proved my point, how many of these people died because they wandered over the fog line? I have no problem with cyclists owning vehicles, but don't start ragging on people because I choose to drive a vehicle, I don't have the time to ride a bike to town and shop or do errands. The majority of people I have spoke to, all say the same thing "you want to ride a bike, fine, but keep it off the main roads, ride on the extreme right of the 2ft shoulder.


Cyclists don't die because they wandered over the fog line, they die because driver aren't paying attention ...

Cycling isn't the solution for everyone, I'd refute anyone who says otherwise ... the reality of life currently requires some people to drive ...

Would you like truck drivers to decry regular passenger vehicles being on "main roads"? You're attitude towards other road users shows the typical discriminatory attitude that if applied would actually make it more dangerous ... segregation leads down a bad path ... there is no design that will always keep modes separated, so the best idea is for everyone to actually learn how to deal with each other respectfully ...

Cyclists don't get a choice as you pointed out to disrespect cars ... they're forced to on the penalty of death ...

Drivers get to choose to respect cyclists ... that's an interesting exercise in morality

Everyone has close calls ... with everyone distracted in one way or another that's the nature of our environment ... but I'm not calling for a ban on driving because of the last driver to pass too closely ...

Whether it be on this forum or even just some jerk screaming out their window that somehow they're offended by cyclists ... you'll just see me smile and wave ... people don't change their minds, no matter the rationale or logic, we're all screaming into the void and trying to survive ...


Well it seems you have everything under control, you've read the fine print of your homeowners policy regarding riding bicycles on a public road, a truck that has a mind of its own, (on who its going to let it be its owner).
You clearly have proved that you have every right to ride on the painted fog line, side by side. You know what, maybe you should ride in the driving lane with traffic, im sure its a lot safer.
yep, your right,I,'ll be watching out for you and your buds from now on, How stupid of me to not pay attention to hazards on the road.
Yep, you win :130:
Ya all be careful out there, Ya hear?

spooker likes this post.
cr125
 
Posts: 21
Likes: 53 posts
Liked in: 11 posts
Joined: Oct 10th, 2016, 6:42 pm

Re: Spandex alert!!

Postby spooker » Aug 30th, 2017, 6:16 pm

cr125 wrote:Well it seems you have everything under control, you've read the fine print of your homeowners policy regarding riding bicycles on a public road, a truck that has a mind of its own, (on who its going to let it be its owner).
You clearly have proved that you have every right to ride on the painted fog line, side by side. You know what, maybe you should ride in the driving lane with traffic, im sure its a lot safer.
yep, your right,I,'ll be watching out for you and your buds from now on, How stupid of me to not pay attention to hazards on the road.
Yep, you win :130:
Ya all be careful out there, Ya hear?


Thank you, always careful ... (and yes, some roads do require me to ride in the lane, like when I need to use Harvey and share the HOV lane, construction zones also require riding in the middle of the lane, etc)
--
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. -- Plato
User avatar
spooker
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 723
Likes: 626 posts
Liked in: 471 posts
Joined: May 12th, 2009, 4:18 pm
Location: Kelowna, BC, CA

Previous

Return to Trials & Tribulations of Traffic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest