Learn to use Roundabouts! (Traffic Circles!)

Home of the traffic rant.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Learn to use Roundabouts! (Traffic Circles!)

Post by Grandan »

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/roundabouts/
The government of BC website says nothing about using your left turn signal so don't do it. When people don't follow the rules of the road they cause problems. What may be the practice in other provinces or countries does not fly here. They drive on the left in other countries and it works for them because everyone follows the same rules. Be safe and don't make up rules that don't apply.
Waste not
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

Grandan wrote:http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/roundabouts/
The government of BC website says nothing about using your left turn signal so don't do it. When people don't follow the rules of the road they cause problems. What may be the practice in other provinces or countries does not fly here. They drive on the left in other countries and it works for them because everyone follows the same rules. Be safe and don't make up rules that don't apply.

It has been said in this forum that signalling left is for advanced drivers only. Definitely beyond my expertise, so I won't do it.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Let's repeat ourselves explaining WHY.

The Government literature and most BC driving related resources, including the driving test, are basic minimum standards for driving. They are just a pass to get you on the road. They give you nothing but a starting point as a driver. Entry level. You, dear driver, have an entry level drivers license. The bare minimum standard that is acceptable.

Researching driver resources, driver training, and other sources of information you'll find a wealth of knowledge about how to become a better driver. Just because the government and others suggest a basic standard doesn't mean there's no point pursuing better standards as a driver yourself. Low standards of driving, testing, attitude, and behaviour is what is causing the rise in accidents and the increase in claims, and thus putting up our insurance rates.

The vast majority of those available resources recommend signalling left for the left exit at a roundabout.

The ironic thing about this thread is that the naysayers and critics are posting up their opinions when they as drivers themselves are basic, BC class 5, four wheel car drivers. The vast majority of drivers are very basic in ability. They have no commercial driving experience, they haven't driven anything bigger than a pickup. They've never been tested at a higher standard, never had to pass more stringent and regular medical or eyesight tests. They took a driving test many years ago and have become such poor drivers themselves that they are incapable of recognizing their own weaknesses. They have never taken driving evaluations at a higher standard, and have no driving certifications or endorsements.

Here in the Castanet peanut gallery we have an assortment of bare basic, entry level, car drivers. And they dare criticize people who are promoting a better and enhanced method of driving behaviour. The lack of willingness to look at themselves and think "hey this could improve my driving" is due to the fact that they accept low standards, and they don't want to do more than the minimum, and sadly this is a problem across society in so many areas. No desire or motivation to improve. Lazy, entitled drivers.

Ask yourselves: when did you last pass a driving test? To what standard? When did you last check your vehicle (lights, signals, windshield, wipers, tires, suspension, fluids, mechanical basics)? When did you last take any driver training? When was the last time you used any sort of resource to improve your driving or driving behaviour? Do you carry an emergency breakdown/survival/first aid kit?

Answers on a postcard...

There's no point in trying to educate the masses and there's no point in expecting the vast majority of people to rise above the mediocre standard that we have on our highways. Don't expect your insurance to come down any soon, because unfortunately the vast majority of you who refuse to consider improving your driving are the real cause of the problem. Yet you will whine and snivel because your insurance premiums go up.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Gee lightspeed, I didn't realize what a mediocre, perhaps poor driver I was until I read your post. Maybe you could start giving driving lessons and help us all bring up our dismal standards.

You did forget a couple of serious attributes of poor drivers. Overconfidence and being a know it all.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

lightspeed wrote:The Government literature and most BC driving related resources, including the driving test, are basic minimum standards for driving. They are just a pass to get you on the road. They give you nothing but a starting point as a driver. Entry level. You, dear driver, have an entry level drivers license. The bare minimum standard that is acceptable.

Researching driver resources, driver training, and other sources of information you'll find a wealth of knowledge about how to become a better driver. Just because the government and others suggest a basic standard doesn't mean there's no point pursuing better standards as a driver yourself. Low standards of driving, testing, attitude, and behaviour is what is causing the rise in accidents and the increase in claims, and thus putting up our insurance rates.

The vast majority of those available resources recommend signalling left for the left exit at a roundabout.

The ironic thing about this thread is that the naysayers and critics are posting up their opinions when they as drivers themselves are basic, BC class 5, four wheel car drivers. The vast majority of drivers are very basic in ability. They have no commercial driving experience, they haven't driven anything bigger than a pickup. They've never been tested at a higher standard, never had to pass more stringent and regular medical or eyesight tests. They took a driving test many years ago and have become such poor drivers themselves that they are incapable of recognizing their own weaknesses. They have never taken driving evaluations at a higher standard, and have no driving certifications or endorsements.

Here in the Castanet peanut gallery we have an assortment of bare basic, entry level, car drivers. And they dare criticize people who are promoting a better and enhanced method of driving behaviour. The lack of willingness to look at themselves and think "hey this could improve my driving" is due to the fact that they accept low standards, and they don't want to do more than the minimum, and sadly this is a problem across society in so many areas. No desire or motivation to improve. Lazy, entitled drivers.

Ask yourselves: when did you last pass a driving test? To what standard? When did you last check your vehicle (lights, signals, windshield, wipers, tires, suspension, fluids, mechanical basics)? When did you last take any driver training? When was the last time you used any sort of resource to improve your driving or driving behaviour? Do you carry an emergency breakdown/survival/first aid kit?

Answers on a postcard...

There's no point in trying to educate the masses and there's no point in expecting the vast majority of people to rise above the mediocre standard that we have on our highways. Don't expect your insurance to come down any soon, because unfortunately the vast majority of you who refuse to consider improving your driving are the real cause of the problem. Yet you will whine and snivel because your insurance premiums go up.

Sounds like you have spent a lot of time on your roundabout skills and have achieved a lot in this area. Congratulations. Please keep us posted on future driving accomplishments.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Kelowna has about 1000 miles of road and six roundabouts. Lights peed is the champion
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

johnny24 wrote:
lightspeed wrote:The Government literature and most BC driving related resources, including the driving test, are basic minimum standards for driving. They are just a pass to get you on the road. They give you nothing but a starting point as a driver. Entry level. You, dear driver, have an entry level drivers license. The bare minimum standard that is acceptable.

Answers on a postcard...

Sounds like you have spent a lot of time on your roundabout skills and have achieved a lot in this area. Congratulations. Please keep us posted on future driving accomplishments.

I'm still waiting on your vast portfolio of class 5 driving credentials.

Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

lightspeed wrote:
Don't expect your insurance to come down any soon, because unfortunately the vast majority of you who refuse to consider improving your driving are the real cause of the problem. Yet you will whine and snivel because your insurance premiums go up.

I have the safe driver's discount at top rate and have had it for most of my life. The last accident I was involved with was caused by a distracted driver who sheared off my side mirror while I was parked at the side of the road.

If I never bought insurance in my life and saved the money I could easily buy a brand new vehicle for cash.
If you were driving in Europe where you might encounter traffic circles with multiple lanes then I could buy the argument of putting on the left signal to move toward the centre and then right signal to move back to the edge for exiting.
Otherwise don't do it, it is not required. Where do you get this drivel?
Waste not
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Grandan wrote:

lightspeed wrote:
Don't expect your insurance to come down any soon, because unfortunately the vast majority of you who refuse to consider improving your driving are the real cause of the problem. Yet you will whine and snivel because your insurance premiums go up.

I have the safe driver's discount at top rate and have had it for most of my life. The last accident I was involved with was caused by a distracted driver who sheared off my side mirror while I was parked at the side of the road.

If I never bought insurance in my life and saved the money I could easily buy a brand new vehicle for cash.
If you were driving in Europe where you might encounter traffic circles with multiple lanes then I could buy the argument of putting on the left signal to move toward the centre and then right signal to move back to the edge for exiting.
Otherwise don't do it, it is not required. Where do you get this drivel?

Another class 5 genius.

Basic standards of driving V best practice.

You can stick to doing the bare basics. It's within your skill level.

johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

lightspeed wrote:
Another class 5 genius.

Wow, trash talking about skills in a traffic circle.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

lightspeed wrote:Another class 5 genius.

Cause getting your airbrake endorsement makes you a better driver. [icon_lol2.gif]

It is true that a very common trait of truly poor drivers is that they actually believe they've got better than average driving skill.

It's safe to say that you've now alienated everyone on this thread. Everyone else is wrong right? Just like everyone else is a sub-par driver. I'm starting to see a pattern.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

lightspeed wrote:Another class 5 genius.

TylerM4 wrote:

Cause getting your airbrake endorsement makes you a better driver. [icon_lol2.gif]

It is true that a very common trait of truly poor drivers is that they actually believe they've got better than average driving skill.

It's safe to say that you've now alienated everyone on this thread. Everyone else is wrong right? Just like everyone else is a sub-par driver. I'm starting to see a pattern.

I see too many "professional" drivers doing really dumb stuff to accept such blanket statements. Plenty of bad habits in all classes to go around.
Waste not
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

This just in....

I happened to notice the following in the letter section of Castanet :

I love that Kelowna is putting in more roundabouts.

Myth Busters has done an episode on this and proved that roundabouts are almost twice as effective as four way stops However, no one in this city seems to know how to use it. Indicating in and out of a roundabout is key to its use. Indicate left when entering and right when exiting. This even applies on right turn exits. If you don't know if the car approaching you is exiting how are you suppose to know if it is safe to enter? This can leave you sitting there for longer than you need to, thus inhibiting the effectiveness of the roundabout...................

? What the heck ????

The writer, identified after the article as "Shonah Montgomery" states "no one in this city seems to know how to use it" then goes on to prove that by suggesting one should signal left when entering a round about ????

No, light speed, she doesn't suggest keeping the left signal on, guess she's not a pro yet.

She includes a link to an ICBC driving tip sight, that doesn't say anything at all about signaling when entering a round about, (left signal or right) which is correct, when there is only one way to go, a signal is not required.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I read that letter. Why would I indicate left on entering if I'm turning right immediately after entering?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Just shows how many drivers in Kelowna don't know the correct way to use a roundabout. Or drive for that matter!
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”