Learn to use Roundabouts! (Traffic Circles!)

Home of the traffic rant.
Poindexter
Guru

Re: Learn to use Roundabouts! (Traffic Circles!)

Post by Poindexter »

Bsuds wrote:Signaling your exit helps the driver waiting to enter know that it is safe to do so. The problem is you can't trust drivers to do it properly.

I agree, to obediently trust anyone's signal these days is a one way ticket to the claim center.

I usual wait to see where their eyes are facing or even better make eye contact ----- then cut them off. :D
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

lightspeed wrote:I'd strongly advise you to explore some driving literature and best practice documentation. You will find everything you need to know about your left turn signal. Reading such material will show that you're not up to speed with best practice and merely understand and can drive to the "bare basics" standard of driving.

"Advanced Driving" is just a term made up by people who think they're better drivers than everyone else. There's no rules of the road that advanced drivers follow that regular drivers do not. There is such as thing as "defensive driving" but any good instructor will tell you that defensive driving DOES NOT involve your own interpretation of when and how signaling should occur.

Just because you feel your way is better doesn't mean you are an "advanced driver" or that your way is the best way. It just gives you an excuse to drive against common practice/rules. That's dangerous - it confuses other drivers who are following the established rules and instructions provided to us by the province of BC. There's a reason why the province tries to keep the rules simple.

Next you're going to tell me that "jumping the left turn" (quickly turning left as soon as the light turns green and hopefully before the oncoming traffic has had time to react/accelerate) is actually "Advanced Driving" and not failure to yield as documented by drivebc.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

TylerM4 wrote:Next you're going to tell me that "jumping the left turn" (quickly turning left as soon as the light turns green and hopefully before the oncoming traffic has had time to react/accelerate) is actually "Advanced Driving" and not failure to yield as documented by drivebc.

No, because I actually know how to drive. By your comments you've pretty much admitted where you're at as a driver. Basic and no more than that. Even worse, not even willing to listen to ways to improve your driving.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

lightspeed wrote:
No, because I actually know how to drive. By your comments you've pretty much admitted where you're at as a driver. Basic and no more than that. Even worse, not even willing to listen to ways to improve your driving.

A few paragraphs in a messsage forum is all it takes for you to assess someone's driving skill? That's pretty impressive.

You mistake willing to learn with "I listened and here's why I don't agree". Are you willing to learn? You'll notice I've never said that signaling left doesn't have merit. My arguement is that it confuses other drivers which is the opposite of what you're trying to achieve by signaling left in the 1st place. Campaign the province and ICBC to change the rules and I'll support it. I do not support people going rogue and following their own rules. If we all follow our own rules based on what we think is best it would be chaos out there.

By your thinking "knowing how to drive" means risking a ticket from RCMP. Signal left in a roundabout and you'll fail a driving test if you do it enough times. I'd say that ICBC and RCMP disagree with your assesment of your driving ability.

If by "basic driver" you mean someone who's driven a vehicle every day for over 22 years and many many kms without ever causing an accident - yup that's me.

Have you run out of logical arguements so you've resorted to attacking my knowledge and ability?
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Every single one of us need to be periodically re-tested and sent for appropriate training when required.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

lightspeed wrote:I'd strongly advise you to explore some driving literature and best practice documentation. You will find everything you need to know about your left turn signal. Reading such material will show that you're not up to speed with best practice and merely understand and can drive to the "bare basics" standard of driving.

There are some "best practices" that are involved in driving. Mostly they are actions that, if not executed, could cause a dangerous situation, and the result of not executing the action, could result in an accident, but the actual action is NOT legislated.

I'll explain. If you take a driving test, you MUST shoulder check. If you don't you won't pass the test. However, there is no section of the Motor Vehicle Act that states "a driver must shoulder check". For example drive an 18 wheeler, change from the left lane to the right lane, where you going to shoulder check ? Look into the sleeper ?

But when changing lanes you cut someone off, or even cause an accident when changing lanes, perhaps because you didn't shoulder check, you could get a ticket for an unsafe lane change.

So "best practice" is to shoulder check if you are operating a vehicle for which that works and certainly if you want to pass the driving exam.

Another is turning left at an intersection onto a two way street. The MVA does not mandate which lane you must turn into as long as it is "right of the centre line" (thus it could be the second lane, because the second lane is right of the centre line). The MVA does not say "in the lane closest to the centre lane".

If you are taking a driving test and you don't turn into the closest lane to the centre lane you will receive a demerit, even though the law doesn't require it. Also it's a good idea.

BUT, arbitrarily deciding that you will make a signal that is not required by the MVA is silly. Signalling left while remaining in a round about is demonstrating that you are not intending on leaving the round about. Well there is already "a signal" for that. The signal for that is not having a signal on.

The problem is that as a group, so many driver don't signal turns, don't signal lane changes that some feel they need a positive way to show that they are remaining in the round about.

So, since "nobody signals lane changes or turns" do we aribitrarily drive with our four way flashers on to represent a positive indication that we are not intending on changing lanes or turning ?

IF the law was obeyed by everyone, which prescribes that, as a driver you don't signal entering a round about (why would you, the only way you can go is turn to the right ?) and you must signal YOUR INTENTION to leave the round about. There would be absolutely no reason to signal left when not turning right. You don't signal left when you go around a left curve, do you ?
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

TylerM4 wrote:
lightspeed wrote:

A few paragraphs in a messsage forum is all it takes for you to assess someone's driving skill? That's pretty impressive.

You mistake willing to learn with "I listened and here's why I don't agree". Are you willing to learn? You'll notice I've never said that signaling left doesn't have merit. My arguement is that it confuses other drivers which is the opposite of what you're trying to achieve by signaling left in the 1st place. Campaign the province and ICBC to change the rules and I'll support it. I do not support people going rogue and following their own rules. If we all follow our own rules based on what we think is best it would be chaos out there.

By your thinking "knowing how to drive" means risking a ticket from RCMP. Signal left in a roundabout and you'll fail a driving test if you do it enough times. I'd say that ICBC and RCMP disagree with your assesment of your driving ability.

If by "basic driver" you mean someone who's driven a vehicle every day for over 22 years and many many kms without ever causing an accident - yup that's me.

Have you run out of logical arguements so you've resorted to attacking my knowledge and ability?

OK here's the deal:

1. Go to Doyle and ask a cop if they'd ticket you for putting your left turn signal on when turning left at a roundabout.
2. Call a driving school (any one of your choice) and ask an instructor if you should put your left turn signal on.
3. Go down to ICBC and ask the on duty driving examiner if they would want you to put a left signal on.

Let's see if you are big enough to prove yourself wrong.

I'll be here all week....make sure you report back.

TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

lightspeed wrote:OK here's the deal:

1. Go to Doyle and ask a cop if they'd ticket you for putting your left turn signal on when turning left at a roundabout.
2. Call a driving school (any one of your choice) and ask an instructor if you should put your left turn signal on.
3. Go down to ICBC and ask the on duty driving examiner if they would want you to put a left signal on.

I've already posted my evidence. It's in black and white on a government website. The burden of proof is on you my friend.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

TylerM4 wrote:
lightspeed wrote:OK here's the deal:

I've already posted my evidence. It's in black and white on a government website. The burden of proof is on you my friend.

You bottled it. You had the chance....

lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Sage advice from this very organ:

http://www.castanet.net/news/Behind-the ... oundabouts

"If I have to go further, I turn on my left signal to indicate I am continuing past the first turn off and subsequent turnoffs and then as I am approaching my turn off I turn on my right signal light to let any drivers present that I am leaving the traffic circle. I have seen other drivers using this method and it seems to make sense."

Approx 70% of various driving resources I looked at suggest left turn signal for a left turn at a roundabout.

Two cops from Kamloops laughed out loud when asked about ticketing people who indicate left at roundabouts.

I'll leave it at that. As stated, some people know how to drive above the minimum standard for licensing in BC. Others just do the bare minimum to get by.

Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Got a cpl roundabouts close by my place . Tempting to go raise hell down there . Signal left . Signal right . Round and round we go .
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Just jog around the outside. That should drive em nutz!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

lightspeed wrote:Sage advice from this very organ:

http://www.castanet.net/news/Behind-the ... oundabouts

"If I have to go further, I turn on my left signal to indicate I am continuing past the first turn off and subsequent turnoffs and then as I am approaching my turn off I turn on my right signal light to let any drivers present that I am leaving the traffic circle. I have seen other drivers using this method and it seems to make sense."

Approx 70% of various driving resources I looked at suggest left turn signal for a left turn at a roundabout.

Two cops from Kamloops laughed out loud when asked about ticketing people who indicate left at roundabouts.

I'll leave it at that. As stated, some people know how to drive above the minimum standard for licensing in BC. Others just do the bare minimum to get by.

I was following you (not agreeing, but following...) up to the point of "people who indicate left at roundabout".

Do you mean "people who indicate left IN a roundabout" ?

Basically the topic of concern is ... "While in a round about, curving around travelling counter clockwise, should a driver use their left signal."

You are stating : "left turn at a round about",,, "who indicate left at round abouts"

Since you are choosing "at", I understand this as, "as you reach the round about", in other words entering the round about.

I have seen drivers wrongly turn right into a round about and use their left turn signal. I've also seen drivers turn right onto an on-ramp (well before the merge lane onto a freeway) using a left turn signal.

Just wanted to confirm.

As for police ticketing drivers who choose to signal left while in a round about, that isn't an offense in the MVA. Also for example, if a vehicle is stopped at an intersection with the left turn signal on and the vehicle then doesn't turn, there also is no violation. ("Fail to execute turn signaled" ? )

I don't think anyone has suggested that doing so (signalling while in a round about) is a violation, just not required.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

my5cents wrote:I don't think anyone has suggested that doing so (signalling while in a round about) is a violation, just not required.

I used the wording "Risk getting a ticket from RCMP". He seems to have latched onto that and interpreted as "RCMP will give you a ticket".
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

TylerM4 wrote:
my5cents wrote:I don't think anyone has suggested that doing so (signalling while in a round about) is a violation, just not required.

I used the wording "Risk getting a ticket from RCMP". He seems to have latched onto that and interpreted as "RCMP will give you a ticket".

Huh?

TylerM4 wrote:By your thinking "knowing how to drive" means risking a ticket from RCMP.

TylerM4: I don't think you know what you're talking about and I don't think you even know what you have (or haven't) written.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”