Learn to use Roundabouts! (Traffic Circles!)

Home of the traffic rant.
lightspeed
Guru

Re: Learn to use Roundabouts! (Traffic Circles!)

Post by lightspeed »

TylerM4 wrote:It's safe to say that you've now alienated everyone on this thread.

I'm not sure why you assume that I would even care about that. I don't. Why am I going to be concerned about the opinions of a bunch of less qualified drivers, tested to inferior standards? A bunch of class 5 drivers who can barely keep a vehicle slightly bigger than the size of a coffin in their own lane and have as much understanding of driving and the MVA as a five year old watching Stephen Hawking YouTube videos.

And I'm still waiting on your vast portfolio of class 5 driving qualifications.

/tumbleweed

One person on this thread has a credible and very respectable driving record. All the other wannabes and poseurs from the peanut gallery who think they can drive are remarkably silent. Probably the same ones whining and snivelling about speeding fines, DD fines, insurance rates, and complaining about their tickets and driver risk premiums. Boo hoo.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Fancy wrote:I read that letter. Why would I indicate left on entering if I'm turning right immediately after entering?

I don't know,,, why ?

Why would you signal left when you are turning right to get into the roundabout ?
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Post by skydawg »

to indicate that you are turning left at the intersection.
OffRoad
Übergod

Post by OffRoad »

Advanced driving is child's play. I'm an ULTRA Advanced driver with multiple classes on my drivers licence, driven over a million kilometres, and have completed on-road, track, and off-road driver training. Advanced drivers are just a bunch of less qualified drivers tested to inferior standards.

ULTRA Advanced drivers know that signalling left in the traffic circles we have is a waste of effort and can be confusing to basic drivers. ULTRA Advanced drivers don't signal left in traffic circles.

Unfortunately there's no point in trying to further educate Advanced drivers and there's no point in expecting Advanced drivers to rise above their mediocre standards.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

skydawg wrote:to indicate that you are turning left at the intersection.

?
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Post by skydawg »

signalling left as you approach roundabout tells others you are turning left in the intersection. Signalling right indicates you will turn right at the intersection. No signal indicates straight through. This was in some roundabout rules I read a few years back.
Last edited by skydawg on Mar 19th, 2017, 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Post by skydawg »

OffRoad wrote:Advanced driving is child's play. I'm an ULTRA Advanced driver with multiple classes on my drivers licence, driven over a million kilometres, and have completed on-road, track, and off-road driver training. Advanced drivers are just a bunch of less qualified drivers tested to inferior standards.

ULTRA Advanced drivers know that signalling left in the traffic circles we have is a waste of effort and can be confusing to basic drivers. ULTRA Advanced drivers don't signal left in traffic circles.

Unfortunately there's no point in trying to further educate Advanced drivers and there's no point in expecting Advanced drivers to rise above their mediocre standards.

There should be no signalling required in a roundabout except for multi lane ones. Its just not necessary. By not signalling there is no confusion as to the other persons intentions there is also no hold up of traffic as people say. Worst case you have to wait one to two seconds to enter unless very busy at the time. When its clear, enter. When its not, dont enter.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

skydawg wrote:signalling left as you approach roundabout tells others you are turning left in the intersection. Signalling right indicates you will turn right at the intersection. No signal indicates straight through.

I hear this quite a bit. People, somehow think that entering a roundabout is turning left.

I can see some confusion if the person believing this is thinking of it in relation to a merge lane on, let's say, a freeway, but you have to understand when you are in a merge lane there are two or more lanes side by side and you are changing lanes into the lane on your left, thus the left signal.

When entering a roundabout, if anything you are turning your steering wheel to the right, not the left. Even a right turn signal is not required because you aren't indicating a change in your course you have only one way to travel.
Attachments
From the ICBC site
From the ICBC site
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

skydawg wrote:signalling left as you approach roundabout tells others you are turning left in the intersection. Signalling right indicates you will turn right at the intersection. No signal indicates straight through.

Here is were problem is very large amount of drivers don't signal away from traffic circles. So to expect those drivers all of sudden at a traffic circle to actually use signals, highly doubtful.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Post by skydawg »

I hear this quite a bit. People, somehow think that entering a roundabout is turning left. I dont think this is true

I can see some confusion if the person believing this is thinking of it in relation to a merge lane on, let's say, a freeway, but you have to understand when you are in a merge lane there are two or more lanes side by side and you are changing lanes into the lane on your left, thus the left signal.

When entering a roundabout, if anything you are turning your steering wheel to the right, not the left. Even a right turn signal is not required because you aren't indicating a change in your course you have only one way to travel.[/quote]
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Post by skydawg »

Here is were problem is very large amount of drivers don't signal away from traffic circles. So to expect those drivers all of sudden at a traffic circle to actually use signals, highly doubtful.

Exactly so just eliminate signals in roundabouts and no confusion, just wait your turn as usual. Pretty simple really.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

skydawg wrote:signalling left as you approach roundabout tells others you are turning left in the intersection. Signalling right indicates you will turn right at the intersection. No signal indicates straight through. This was in some roundabout rules I read a few years back.

Maybe rules from a different country? Best you brush up. There's been a few links posted with good information straight from the horses mouth.

Here's another way to think about it - what would signaling like you describe achieve? There is nothing to gain by signaling as you enter the intersection. The people who can see your signal at that point don't care and don't need to know where you are going as they don't need to yield to you. All you are doing by signaling as you approach is confusing other drivers..
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Post by skydawg »

I dont need to brush up but thanks though. Im aware of the rules here. And Im not saying its a good way of doing it. Just something I read.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

skydawg wrote:(quoting my5cents) I hear this quite a bit. People, somehow think that entering a roundabout is turning left. I dont think this is true

When entering a roundabout, if anything you are turning your steering wheel to the right, not the left. Even a right turn signal is not required because you aren't indicating a change in your course you have only one way to travel.

Have I missed something ?

You stated : signalling left as you approach roundabout tells others you are turning left in the intersection........

As you approach a roundabout, there is only one way to go to enter the roundabout. Usually by travelling straight and once partially in the roundabout curving to the right. Then once completely in the roundabout you are curving to the left. None of which requires a signal of any sort.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Maybe they should put up some signs approaching the roundabouts.
1-Vehicle in circle has right of way.
2-Signal exit only.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”