Crash on 97 by Gorman's Chaos!

Home of the traffic rant.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Re: Crash on 97 by Gorman's Chaos!

Post by Gixxer »

Tony wrote:
A professional driver understands "winter conditions", can see by the windshield of his vehicle that it's raining/snowing/sleeting/hailing/sunny etc, and therefore should adjust their driving. It's really not rocket science, it's that long lost thing.... COMMON SENSE, and it applies to anyone behind a wheel.

I put on around 50-60,000 km a year. Two weeks ago I was driving along, saw white slippery stuff on the road (no snow, that frozen water crap) and SLOWED DOWN. Unfortunately the driver coming the other way didn't have the foresight to do that and spun into me. Everyone was okay, but that was totally avoidable if they had understood WINTER driving, and white smooth stuff, also known as VISIBLE ice is slippery.

As someone that drivers a logging truck Ive encountered all types of road conditions both on and off the highway. A roads condition can change in matter of minutes, or in certain sections depending on temperature changes. Last night was one of those nights with bare sections, freezing rain, poor visibility and black ice.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

I'll add,
No one is exempt.
Lots of variables.

My minds eye see's a passenger vehicle involved before the fact that
ended up
nowhere near the scene>>>>>> cynical I guess...
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

Gixxer wrote:
Tony wrote:
A professional driver understands "winter conditions", can see by the windshield of his vehicle that it's raining/snowing/sleeting/hailing/sunny etc, and therefore should adjust their driving. It's really not rocket science, it's that long lost thing.... COMMON SENSE, and it applies to anyone behind a wheel.

I put on around 50-60,000 km a year. Two weeks ago I was driving along, saw white slippery stuff on the road (no snow, that frozen water crap) and SLOWED DOWN. Unfortunately the driver coming the other way didn't have the foresight to do that and spun into me. Everyone was okay, but that was totally avoidable if they had understood WINTER driving, and white smooth stuff, also known as VISIBLE ice is slippery.

As someone that drivers a logging truck Ive encountered all types of road conditions both on and off the highway. A roads condition can change in matter of minutes, or in certain sections depending on temperature changes. Last night was one of those nights with bare sections, freezing rain, poor visibility and black ice.

Gixxer, you are 100% correct, and you said the same as me. You knew it was bare sections, freezing frain, poor visibility and black ice, so you would slow down, knowing full well those conditions could be present. When the thermometer on my pick up says its 3 degrees C, I take my foot off the pedal, slow down, and do my utmost to not hit the brakes in case it's icy. It's driving to the conditions, and if it's winter, you'll hit winter conditions. The unavoidable issues are wildlife, I will give that, but in a semi, you're better off hitting it than trying to avoid it.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

The problem with slowing down is that you can't make it up the hills, and then you jackknife.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Glacier wrote:The problem with slowing down is that you can't make it up the hills, and then you jackknife.

And slide backwards into a deep ravine, upside down.

Then check that you filled in your log book and pre trip.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

lightspeed wrote:And slide backwards into a deep ravine, upside down.
Then check that you filled in your log book and pre trip.

I hate when that happens, every time !!!!
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”