Hospital Hill, Vernon.

Home of the traffic rant.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Hospital Hill, Vernon.

Post by dirtybiker »

http://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/191 ... eeds-light

No, no, no, no !!!!

What this calls for at minimum, is better lighting, not a pedestrian controlled light,
not a traffic light, just street lights of a brighter nature.

Any other step is the step to a Pedestrian Overpass.

The majority of Pedestrians I've encountered there exercise a good deal of common sense by
stepping back from the curb when a Commercial Vehicle* approaches from either direction
instead of pushing their rights and forcing said Commercial Vehicle* to stop on a steep grade.

*Also applies to RV's, those trailering, and/or heavily laden.

ETA: This councilor certainly has zero grasp of physics !
If you can't stop, you can't stop. Period.
If you can't go, you can't go. Period.
One can sure wreck a lot of stuff trying though !
Last edited by dirtybiker on Mar 14th, 2017, 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Re: Hospital Hill, Vernon.

Post by TylerM4 »

I sorta agree.

Anyone who's visited the hospital and needs to head south to go home will tell you that a light would be handy. I do not believe for a second that the only need is for safer pedestrian crossing. The city just knows that they'd get lambasted if they said it was needed for traffic control (they should do better planning).

But I also agree with the province - the grade is too steep for a light.

Overpass/Underpass is the answer for pedestrians. For vehicles - the city and IH need to do proper planning and establish appropriate access to/from the hospital. Especially considering the demographic of drivers coming to/from the facility.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

dirtybiker wrote:No, no, no, no !!!!

11/10!!!!!
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

99 out of 100 pedestrians don't even use the crosswalk - they just jaywalk down the hill a bit because it's closer to where their cars are parked. Waste of time and money
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Hwy 97 has already to many traffic lights.

What I could see happening is moving the light from 16 ave/Hwy 97 to 21 ave/Hwy 97. Which would not be adding traffic lights just moving a light.

I'm sure the residents in 16 ave area would not be happy, they do have 34 St. If 16 ave on west side of 97 was connected to 16 ave on east side of 97, that would solve turning left onto 97 after going VJH.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

The last thing you want is an accident on Hospital hill, like Kamloops had.... because some fools felt it prudent to trick more traffic into going through town...
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:The last thing you want is an accident on Hospital hill, like Kamloops had.... because some fools felt it prudent to trick more traffic into going through town...

Trick traffic, please explain. Last I checked Vernon does not have a bypass, whichever route one takes goes through town. With exception of westside rd which is longer route
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

The split on the highway up the hill in Kamloops was not clearly defined, that is the route that appeared to be a part of the highway put people through town, rather than the bypass. then one day a semi hauling steel went onto the through town route down the hill past the hospital . Truck lost its brakes, ploughed into cars waiting at a light near the hospital, killing people,
After that changes were made that kept most of the through traffic going to the bypass.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

The accident happened at 1;55 pm on Oct 28, 1989.
8 people were killed after the runaway truck hauling steel beams hit cars waiting at the light.
The truck ended up against the retaining wall in front of the hospital and burst into flames.
Last edited by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown on Mar 14th, 2017, 10:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Please delete ....triple post.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:The split on the highway up the hill in Kamloops was not clearly defined, that is the route that appeared to be a part of the highway put people through town, rather than the bypass. then one day a semi hauling steel went onto the through town route down the hill past the hospital . Truck lost its brakes, ploughed into cars waiting at a light near the hospital, killing people,
After that changes were made that kept most of the through traffic going to the bypass.

My bad, I know about & remember what happened in Kamloops.

What I'm asking is how does related to Vernon, since Vernon does not have a bypass to use.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

GordonH wrote:What I'm asking is how does related to Vernon, since Vernon does not have a bypass to use.

It should have a bypass.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:What I'm asking is how does related to Vernon, since Vernon does not have a bypass to use.

Glacier wrote:It should have a bypass.

As we both know Vernon & Kelowna should have had bypasses. Who was biggest voices against it & had it defeated.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Worst idea ever. How about building a pedestrian tunnel or bridge instead.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Gixxer wrote:Worst idea ever. How about building a pedestrian tunnel or bridge instead.

Absolutely. Where I went to high school in 100 Mile House, there is a tunnel under highway 97. Surely a city 20 times the size of Hun City could be worthy of a tunnel.
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”