Why don't RCMP do a better job enforcing traffic rules?

Home of the traffic rant.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Why don't RCMP do a better job enforcing traffic rules?

Post by TylerM4 »

Failure to signal, Rolling stops, running the yellow, passing on the right, etc.

The biggest reason why these violations are so prolific is because there's essentially no penalty behind them due to RCMP not enforcing.

The 1st thing that comes to mind for many is "lack of funding/time". If you think that way, I'd challange you on that assertion. It doesn't take many $150+ tickets to recoup the cost of a mountie. I'd bet that most could cover the cost of their wage, their car, equipment, etc in the 1st 1/2 of their shift.

So what's holding them back?
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Why don't RCMP do a better job enforcing traffic rules?

Post by dirtybiker »

I'll even make it easy for them.

The STOP sign on Hollywood South might as well not even be there.
People hardly even slow down when they blow it.

How vehicles use the right turn lane on DeHart and Gordon as their opportunity to race people
off the line to be the first down Swamp.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

No disrespect, but how about we anticipate and assume that those in field of view:
are going to turn, brake, not signal, cut you off, speed, run yellows, walk across... etc. ?

You know, expect that this is how people drive/ride/walk.

Driving without due care and attention is what, $600? Distraction $389?
Immediate road side prohibition, approaching $4000 (towing, impound, administrative)

It all still happens no matter how aggressive enforcement is.

Deal with that fact and take care of your self by assuming it's going to go badly.
Makes life easier, honest.
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Lost a good dog on dehart and another good dog on byrns . Neither guy stopped . Both were heavily speeding . Wanted to kill the last guy . I agree a bit of traffic law and order would be appreciated
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

TylerM4 wrote:It doesn't take many $150+ tickets to recoup the cost of a mountie. I'd bet that most could cover the cost of their wage, their car, equipment, etc in the 1st 1/2 of their shift.

It's not a sustainable model.

Let's say Kelowna RCMP hires 100 new constables, buys 100 cars, 100 handguns, and 100 uniforms for them. Then they go out and start enforcing traffic laws. On first day, they actually make money. On the second day, they make money. On third day they break even. On fourth day they're in the red. And every single day thereafter.

Why? Because people will start following laws and won't give police officers a reason to actually make money. Pretty soon the whole operation is scrapped because it's not paying for itself. And people go to their usual self with rolling stop signs and speeding.

So no, RCMP can't just hire more and more people to enforce traffic laws simply because it doesn't pay for itself and at some point becomes very expensive. So, they choose to do blitzes of enforcement in hopes of keeping everybody somewhat following the law most of the time, because enforcing it even more has diminishing returns effect.

Besides, traffic laws are somewhat low priority. I mean, drug trade is somewhat more important than whether or not granny rolled-stopped through a right turn.
Last edited by Even Steven on Mar 14th, 2017, 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

What_the wrote:No disrespect, but how about we anticipate and assume that those in field of view:
are going to turn, brake, not signal, cut you off, speed, run yellows, walk across... etc. ?

You know, expect that this is how people drive/ride/walk.

Driving without due care and attention is what, $600? Distraction $389?
Immediate road side prohibition, approaching $4000 (towing, impound, administrative)

It all still happens no matter how aggressive enforcement is.

Deal with that fact and take care of your self by assuming it's going to go badly.
Makes life easier, honest.

There's a term for what you describe - "Defensive driving". I think everyone will agree it's good practice.

So your position is that the RCMP isn't enforcing these rules because we should all be driving defensively and therefore the rules aren't needed? Why do we have them at all then? How does defensive driving prevent a pedestrian from getting hit by another driver passing on the right? How does it prevent getting rear-ended by a distracted driver?
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Even Steven wrote:
It's not a sustainable model.

Let's say Kelowna RCMP hires 100 new constables, buys 100 cars, 100 handguns, and 100 uniforms for them. Then they go out and start enforcing traffic laws. On first day, they actually make money. On the second day, they make money. On third day they break even. On fourth day they're in the red. And every single day thereafter.

Why? Because people will start following laws and won't give police officers a reason to actually make money. Pretty soon the whole operation is scrapped because it's not paying for itself. And people go to their usual self with rolling stop signs and speeding.

So no, RCMP can't just hire more and more people to enforce traffic laws simply because it doesn't pay for itself and at some point becomes very expensive. So, they choose to do blitzes of enforcement in hopes of keeping everybody somewhat following the law most of the time, because enforcing it even more has diminishing returns effect.

Besides, traffic laws are somewhat low priority. I mean, drug trade is somewhat more important than whether or not granny rolled-stopped through a right turn.

I love it! I'd say you're completely wrong, but I love your thinking.

No more tickets to give? There's an easy solution - lay off some officers. It won't happen that way anyway - the RCMP is an aging workforce. While I think my idea is good - no way do I think it's so good that the people exiting the force won't be able to keep up with the success seen by the additional enforcement.

This is one of those problems you HOPE to have one day.
Last edited by TylerM4 on Mar 14th, 2017, 6:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

Jflem1983 wrote:Lost a good dog on dehart and another good dog on byrns . Neither guy stopped . Both were heavily speeding . Wanted to kill the last guy . I agree a bit of traffic law and order would be appreciated

what the hell was your GOOD dog doing on the road unless they were speeding through your front yard you have no one to blame but yourself
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

I'd be perfectly happy if they would just start pulling cars off the road that are illegally modified or lack the required maintenance
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

I'm not sure where you drive that you see all these illegally modified vehicles and how do you know they require maintenance
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

TylerM4 wrote:No more tickets to give? There's an easy solution - lay off some officers. It won't happen that way anyway - the RCMP is an aging workforce. While I think my idea is good - no way do I think it's so good that the people exiting the force won't be able to keep up with the success seen by the additional enforcement.

I don't think this will work as police officers are all career oriented professionals. You can't hire and fire them at will as you see fit because it takes an extremely long time to hire and train a proper police officer. In fact, it's extremely expensive, so if you lay them off before they make their money back, you're losing money. Not to mention it wouldn't do wonders to morale of the workforce.

There's two ways around it:

- Automation - installing cameras and automating the process of issuing tickets. This doesn't require hiring police officers and cameras break even point is much shorter, and it frees up resources so officers can focus on more important issues. It also very limited as police officers can enforce limitless traffic infractions and cameras only two of three types - speeding, lights, etc.

- Hiring low-level kinda police officers to enforce some infractions, for example parking. Parking maids are not police officers, paid less, and can focus on doing nothing but issuing parking tickets. That's why parking ticket business is actually profitable as opposed to enforcing generic traffic laws. But that workforce will be highly specialized and won't deal with any other law infractions. Funny enough, people always complain about getting parking tickets.

But the dream of self-sustained police force is nothing but a dream because it's impossible for the reason I've described above.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Dizzy1 wrote:I'd be perfectly happy if they would just start pulling cars off the road that are illegally modified or lack the required maintenance

Illegal uninspected lift kits.
No mud flaps.
Illegal HID's, aux lights.
Broken tail lights.
Out of province junkers.
BC plated rusting smoking jalopies.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

LTD wrote:I'm not sure where you drive that you see all these illegally modified vehicles and how do you know they require maintenance

Guess all those cars running around with illegal HID conversions or jacked up trucks with no mud flaps only drive around in my neighbourhood.

As for maintenance, come on, get real - broken taillights, busted windshield, exhaust falling off, bald tires, shot suspension and brakes - just your typical everyday ride in the valley.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

seriously I think you might overdoing it somewhat most of the vehicles around here are pretty new and most of the lifted trucks you see are more than likely legal and mudflaps for the hundredth time are only mandatory on commercial vehicles you guys just like to *bleep* about everything ,wannabe traffic cops
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

I used see more junk around here In the late eighties when there was half the population than I do now

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”