This is bad news...

Home of the traffic rant.
Hermes
Fledgling

This is bad news...

Post by Hermes »

... that there is an entire section on traffic problems. I didn't know this.

Unless things have changed, this was one good thing about Calgary -- an efficient well-planned for expansion highway system connecting the far flung areas of the city.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Re: This is bad news...

Post by Dizzy1 »

Welcome to Castanet - where everyone thinks that they're God's gift to the road and only their opinion is what matters now matter how much traffic laws disagrees with them.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Hermes wrote:... that there is an entire section on traffic problems. I didn't know this.

Unless things have changed, this was one good thing about Calgary -- an efficient well-planned for expansion highway system connecting the far flung areas of the city.

They also don't have friggin mountains all over the place, hills and valleys but not mountains. It is easy to build 4 lane roads on the bald prairie. BTW, I loathe and detest Calgary for it's far flung neighbourhoods and endless roads needing to get there.
Waste not
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

Hermes wrote:... that there is an entire section on traffic problems. I didn't know this.

Not sure what you are referring to but Calgary has some of the worst traffic congestion I have seen.....sure the new ring road helps but getting around in Calgary is absolutely horrible.
Hermes
Fledgling

Post by Hermes »

vegas1500 wrote:

Not sure what you are referring to but Calgary has some of the worst traffic congestion I have seen.....sure the new ring road helps but getting around in Calgary is absolutely horrible.

Thank you for the update. I haven't lived in Calgary since 1983. And I never liked the far distances within the city, just the highway system being better than Vancouver.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

vegas1500 wrote:
Thank you for the update. I haven't lived in Calgary since 1983. And I never liked the far distances within the city, just the highway system being better than Vancouver.

It is a lot easier to have a Hwy system when you don't have ocean on three sides!
Waste not
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#198302

Glad I put off my trip North till Thursday.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
dsldriver
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by dsldriver »

Grandan wrote:
They also don't have friggin mountains all over the place, hills and valleys but not mountains. It is easy to build 4 lane roads on the bald prairie. BTW, I loathe and detest Calgary for it's far flung neighbourhoods and endless roads needing to get there.

So what are you feelings on Vegas?? Do you like it?? It is exactly the same model as Calgary. far flung neighbourhoods with freeways funneling everything into the city.

As a former Calgarian, I can tell you that it is very well laid out, and planning in the newer areas is much better than it was in the late 80's and early 90's.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”