47063
48347

Really?..How fast is fast enough drivers?

Home of the traffic rant.

Really?..How fast is fast enough drivers?

Postby MyPointofView » May 10th, 2017, 2:02 pm

3 times in the past 2 days I have been dangerously passed in residential areas while doing the posted limit speed limit. Once by a lifted truck going up Beaver Lake Road where the old railway track use to be; once by a convertible with Alberta plates while going down Okanagan Center road; and just yesterday by another lifted truck going down Glenmore by McKinley Landing road (the driver who turned North on Glenmore from McKinley had to take evasive action to avoid a head on collision). It would appear that some individuals in this valley are in a big hurry to injure or kill themselves or someone else. Good grief slow down just saying............ :-X

6 people like this post.
User avatar
MyPointofView
 
Posts: 31
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 45 posts
Joined: May 22nd, 2012, 5:20 pm

Re: Really?..How fast is fast enough drivers?

Postby lightspeed » May 10th, 2017, 4:17 pm

Conversely, crawlers lane hogging with km's of traffic behind them. Brutal, really ignorant driving. Get into the right lane out of the way.

Today, 2km of traffic and a semi in the right lane and cars just lane hogging on the left stopping anyone from passing. All this gong show in rush hour commuter traffic.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

3 people like this post.
User avatar
lightspeed
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2261
Likes: 3541 posts
Liked in: 1645 posts
Joined: Jan 13th, 2016, 9:58 am
Location: Vulgaria

Re: Really?..How fast is fast enough drivers?

Postby lesliepaul » May 10th, 2017, 5:44 pm

Have no fear North Glenmore area residents...........Kelowna Traffic Services Officer "short and wide" will be patrolling and handing out 7 KM over tickets to keep us all safe.........what a joke when a vehicle 20 KM over is only a matter of minutes away. I guess there is less writing for slower tickets.
lesliepaul
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 952
Likes: 4 posts
Liked in: 746 posts
Joined: Aug 7th, 2011, 12:56 pm

Re: Really?..How fast is fast enough drivers?

Postby TylerM4 » May 12th, 2017, 7:25 am

Had a co-worker who got a ticket a few years back for driving 2km over the limit. Glenmore road.

They used to do these "Zero Tolerance" events where they'd pull this crap.

Funny part was she disputed the ticket in court, but didn't come prepared with any sort of argument other than "2km over? Really?" I think she figured the judge would just agree with her. Judge ended up asking "Well, were you driving faster than the speed limit". She said "Yes, By 2km" Judge said "Then you were speeding, ticket stands".
TylerM4
Übergod
 
Posts: 1098
Likes: 266 posts
Liked in: 802 posts
Joined: Feb 27th, 2014, 3:22 pm

Re: Really?..How fast is fast enough drivers?

Postby mexi cali » May 12th, 2017, 7:51 am

My wife got one of those on the bridge a few years back. What an absolute waste of time and effort. Just sayin. The judge was right though but zero tolerance is absolutely ridiculous.

One of the contributing factors to causing impatient drivers to recklessly pass vehicles is the perception that the driver in front is being overly cautious.

The roads mentioned by the OP warrant a little caution for sure but I have seen many drivers erring far too much on the side of caution.

There is though, no justification for risking life and limb in order to gain two or three minutes on a commute but sadly, that will never change. There will always be those who have little common sense and still believe that nothing bad will ever happen to them.

I have a general question which sort of relates here and it involves old Glenmore rd. through to LC. I travel that road semi frequently and more often than not, I eventually am slowed to 40 or 50 due to a large transport truck that cannot maintain speed on the hills.

My question is; why are they even allowed on a road like that? The road is narrow in parts, hilly in parts and windy in parts, none of which is ideal for vehicles of that size.

I know that one trucker explained that because some of them come from downtown, it is simply more direct than getting to the highway. While that may make sense for them, it doesn't make sense too me that it is allowed at all.

These situations can and do lead to people taking unnecessary risks to get around these trucks which obviously, is not ideal either.

Any thoughts?
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
User avatar
mexi cali
Guru
 
Posts: 5097
Likes: 1980 posts
Liked in: 2993 posts
Joined: May 5th, 2009, 1:48 pm

Re: Really?..How fast is fast enough drivers?

Postby lightspeed » May 12th, 2017, 9:13 am

Glenmore is an awful road that needs to be widened. It used to be a good short cut years ago but now, brutal. Only a few passing spots that tempt people to use it as a racetrack. Should be a truck free zone too.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

mexi cali likes this post.
User avatar
lightspeed
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2261
Likes: 3541 posts
Liked in: 1645 posts
Joined: Jan 13th, 2016, 9:58 am
Location: Vulgaria

Re: Really?..How fast is fast enough drivers?

Postby LTD » May 12th, 2017, 6:04 pm

mexi cali wrote:My wife got one of those on the bridge a few years back. What an absolute waste of time and effort. Just sayin. The judge was right though but zero tolerance is absolutely ridiculous.

One of the contributing factors to causing impatient drivers to recklessly pass vehicles is the perception that the driver in front is being overly cautious.

The roads mentioned by the OP warrant a little caution for sure but I have seen many drivers erring far too much on the side of caution.

There is though, no justification for risking life and limb in order to gain two or three minutes on a commute but sadly, that will never change. There will always be those who have little common sense and still believe that nothing bad will ever happen to them.

I have a general question which sort of relates here and it involves old Glenmore rd. through to LC. I travel that road semi frequently and more often than not, I eventually am slowed to 40 or 50 due to a large transport truck that cannot maintain speed on the hills.

My question is; why are they even allowed on a road like that? The road is narrow in parts, hilly in parts and windy in parts, none of which is ideal for vehicles of that size.

I know that one trucker explained that because some of them come from downtown, it is simply more direct than getting to the highway. While that may make sense for them, it doesn't make sense too me that it is allowed at all.

These situations can and do lead to people taking unnecessary risks to get around these trucks which obviously, is not ideal either.

Any thoughts?

you do realise heavy equipment farm equipment lumber hay concrete and a long list of other stuff is moved by transport trucks theyre not just out to inconvenience you theres a ton of houses being built out that way and lots of farming

youhavegottobekidding likes this post.
LTD
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2733
Likes: 1837 posts
Liked in: 1878 posts
Joined: Mar 31st, 2010, 2:34 pm

Re: Really?..How fast is fast enough drivers?

Postby dirtybiker » May 12th, 2017, 6:21 pm

It is better to be moving slow and constant on Glenmore than to be trapped in
slow and stopped on Harvey !

A lot tougher to cut off a semi on two lane as opposed to 4 and 6 lanes.

Don't like Transport trucks ?

Stop buying stuff, problem solved !
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

Glacier likes this post.
dirtybiker
Guru
 
Posts: 5028
Likes: 1966 posts
Liked in: 1425 posts
Joined: Mar 8th, 2008, 6:00 pm
Location: Central OK

Re: Really?..How fast is fast enough drivers?

Postby ktowner » May 13th, 2017, 9:44 am

Don't forget the hundreds if not thousands every day that choose to not go 30 in school zones.

2 people like this post.
ktowner
Fledgling
 
Posts: 181
Likes: 3 posts
Liked in: 23 posts
Joined: Jul 11th, 2006, 11:29 am

Re: Really?..How fast is fast enough drivers?

Postby dirtybiker » May 20th, 2017, 7:55 am

lightspeed wrote:Glenmore is an awful road that needs to be widened.


Why it is not 6 lanes, already is beyond me.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

lightspeed likes this post.
dirtybiker
Guru
 
Posts: 5028
Likes: 1966 posts
Liked in: 1425 posts
Joined: Mar 8th, 2008, 6:00 pm
Location: Central OK

Re: Really?..How fast is fast enough drivers?

Postby Bsuds » May 20th, 2017, 8:01 am

ktowner wrote:Don't forget the hundreds if not thousands every day that choose to not go 30 in school zones.


I walk my dog through a school zone every day and I think we are the only ones who do less than 30! lol

Some of the parents are the worst offenders. (and Taxi's)
User avatar
Bsuds
The Wagon Master
 
Posts: 40916
Likes: 7082 posts
Liked in: 8911 posts
Joined: Apr 21st, 2005, 9:46 am

Re: Really?..How fast is fast enough drivers?

Postby Glacier » May 31st, 2017, 3:25 pm

The speed limit should be set at the 85th percentile on Glenmore. If the speed limit is 50 or 60, and everyone is going 80, you are a danger to the road if you're going 60. Raising speed limits reduces accident rates (despite what the #fakenews media would have you believe).
User avatar
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet
 
Posts: 25597
Likes: 2306 posts
Liked in: 7715 posts
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 9:41 pm

Re: Really?..How fast is fast enough drivers?

Postby spooker » May 31st, 2017, 8:48 pm

Glacier wrote:The speed limit should be set at the 85th percentile on Glenmore. If the speed limit is 50 or 60, and everyone is going 80, you are a danger to the road if you're going 60. Raising speed limits reduces accident rates (despite what the #fakenews media would have you believe).


The question I would bring up around that is the distance between the lights along Glenmore and whether they would realistically support those speeds. If you require all cars to speed-up and slow-down so drastically it would affect the amount of emissions and wear-and-tear on the car.
--
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. -- Plato
User avatar
spooker
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 723
Likes: 627 posts
Liked in: 471 posts
Joined: May 12th, 2009, 4:18 pm
Location: Kelowna, BC, CA

Re: Really?..How fast is fast enough drivers?

Postby khutchi » May 31st, 2017, 10:05 pm

lightspeed wrote:Glenmore is an awful road that needs to be widened. It used to be a good short cut years ago but now, brutal. Only a few passing spots that tempt people to use it as a racetrack. Should be a truck free zone too.


Widening roads leads to faster driving . If people are travelling to fast, traffic calming measures like lane narrowing and neighbourhood circles are usually what today's city council is all about. Also widening lanes only relieves congestion in the very near term. Very soon it just induces people to drive more (the famous traffic concept of "induced demand") and faster

https://www.citylab.com/transportation/ ... es/386594/

It really is like trying to solve obesity by buying bigger pants.
"History is like a slingshot... the more you go back, the further you'll go."
User avatar
khutchi
Fledgling
 
Posts: 105
Likes: 212 posts
Liked in: 87 posts
Joined: Sep 2nd, 2015, 2:36 pm
Location: Kelowna

Re: Really?..How fast is fast enough drivers?

Postby Symbonite » Jul 12th, 2017, 11:37 am

First of all...speed limit is law... even half a KM over is too fast. thats why i drive 60km on the bridge...it is dangerous (funny to think about it) to drive the speed limit on the bridge lol.


lightspeed wrote:Glenmore is an awful road that needs to be widened. It used to be a good short cut years ago but now, brutal. Only a few passing spots that tempt people to use it as a racetrack. Should be a truck free zone too.


Shortcut is no longer a shortcut when everyone else is thinking the same thing. then that shortcut is void.

Kind of like that Campbell road exit at the bridge. Everyone goes on that side road for that 'shortcut" but reality it makes the traffic worse. That merge lane is to small and people do not know how to merge properly so they back all the traffic up. Either turn that lane into a yeild lane only enter when safe to do so, so the actual hwy traffic does not have the obligation to slow or stop to let the person in...or shut that exit down re route the Campbell Road traffic to exit off the bridge that has a way longer merge lane and so when entering the bridge it has more flow.

That is why getting into the bridge I always stay to the left lane regardless how fast im going so i dont have to deal with that merge lane of cheaters!
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
User avatar
Symbonite
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3172
Likes: 15 posts
Liked in: 611 posts
Joined: Feb 16th, 2005, 9:30 am
Location: From Within

Next

Return to Trials & Tribulations of Traffic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: StraitTalk and 4 guests

cron