47957
47833

Really?..How fast is fast enough drivers?

Home of the traffic rant.

Re: Really?..How fast is fast enough drivers?

Postby seewood » Jul 14th, 2017, 6:04 pm

Glacier wrote:The speed limit should be set at the 85th percentile on Glenmore. If the speed limit is 50 or 60, and everyone is going 80, you are a danger to the road if you're going 60. Raising speed limits reduces accident rates (despite what the #fakenews media would have you believe).


That would be nice, however there are soooo many seniors that drive the posted limit or less because of confidence or whatever and some can boot along quite nicely and comfortably 10+ k over the limit. No place to pass, white knuckle frustration. Happens daily during the summer wine tasting months/hours on Naramata road. A combination of courtesy in pulling over ( rarely happens) or some passing lanes. ( that has another problem though.)
I am not wealthy but I am rich

lightspeed likes this post.
seewood
Board Meister
 
Posts: 394
Likes: 376 posts
Liked in: 356 posts
Joined: May 29th, 2013, 1:08 pm

Re: Really?..How fast is fast enough drivers?

Postby Glacier » Jul 14th, 2017, 6:53 pm

My view is that modern cars should equipped with sensors that make your car make annoying beeping and flashing if you have more than 4 cars behind you for 1 minute on single lane roads, and the only way to stop it is to pull over and let them pass.
Last edited by Glacier on Jul 19th, 2017, 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

3 people like this post.
User avatar
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet
 
Posts: 25559
Likes: 2280 posts
Liked in: 7686 posts
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 9:41 pm

Re: Really?..How fast is fast enough drivers?

Postby GordonH » Jul 14th, 2017, 6:59 pm

Once they prefect the autonomous vehicles, wonder what people will be bit :cuss: ing about then.
User avatar
GordonH
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 18102
Likes: 1778 posts
Liked in: 5596 posts
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 6:21 pm
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: Really?..How fast is fast enough drivers?

Postby dirtybiker » Jul 19th, 2017, 6:31 am

I was in a hurry and speeding the other day, just under 90 in a 70, Winfield, by the Husky.

I was markedly slower than ANYONE, I was being tailgated and being passed, not just
by people going a little quicker, but blowing by at Coquahalla type speeds.
I never gained on a single vehicle, but, I like my vehicle and my licence so even if
"I" was the hazard at that point, being in the minority speed-wise.
I wasn't going to go any faster.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

3 people like this post.
dirtybiker
Guru
 
Posts: 5025
Likes: 1959 posts
Liked in: 1423 posts
Joined: Mar 8th, 2008, 6:00 pm
Location: Central OK

Re: Really?..How fast is fast enough drivers?

Postby lightspeed » Jul 19th, 2017, 6:47 am

GordonH wrote:Once they prefect the autonomous vehicles, wonder what people will be bit :cuss: ing about then.


Progress, technology and the fact that idiots aren't capable of operating an automobile by themselves.

Race to the bottom/lowest common denominator.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"
User avatar
lightspeed
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2248
Likes: 3508 posts
Liked in: 1626 posts
Joined: Jan 13th, 2016, 9:58 am
Location: Vulgaria

Re: Really?..How fast is fast enough drivers?

Postby youjustcomplain » Jul 19th, 2017, 11:40 am

dirtybiker wrote:I was in a hurry and speeding the other day, just under 90 in a 70, Winfield, by the Husky.

I was markedly slower than ANYONE, I was being tailgated and being passed, not just
by people going a little quicker, but blowing by at Coquahalla type speeds.
I never gained on a single vehicle, but, I like my vehicle and my licence so even if
"I" was the hazard at that point, being in the minority speed-wise.
I wasn't going to go any faster.


You're in good company. 80-90 is generally my driving speed on that stretch of road between Oceola and Lodge. I don't even realize I'm speeding because 90 seems to be the flow of traffic. It should NOT be though.
youjustcomplain
Board Meister
 
Posts: 554
Likes: 124 posts
Liked in: 285 posts
Joined: Jun 14th, 2016, 11:56 am

Re: Really?..How fast is fast enough drivers?

Postby Dizzy1 » Jul 19th, 2017, 1:26 pm

^^^ There's no reason that stretch shouldn't be 90kmh
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

2 people like this post.
User avatar
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 10111
Likes: 3963 posts
Liked in: 4431 posts
Joined: Feb 12th, 2011, 1:56 pm

Re: Really?..How fast is fast enough drivers?

Postby youjustcomplain » Jul 20th, 2017, 6:28 am

Dizzy1 wrote:^^^ There's no reason that stretch shouldn't be 90kmh


No reason? How about the driveways up the bank? Not many, but they exist. Same with the entrance/exit to the Husky. Or Lodge road turn off. These are places where cars will suddenly be stopped or moving at a crawl. Besides, can we agree that 50 km/h is appropriate once you get to the DQ headed south? I don't see a lot of speed limits go from 90 down to 50. Generally it goes to 70 for a bit first.
youjustcomplain
Board Meister
 
Posts: 554
Likes: 124 posts
Liked in: 285 posts
Joined: Jun 14th, 2016, 11:56 am

Re: Really?..How fast is fast enough drivers?

Postby Dizzy1 » Jul 20th, 2017, 7:05 am

youjustcomplain wrote:
Dizzy1 wrote:^^^ There's no reason that stretch shouldn't be 90kmh


No reason? How about the driveways up the bank? Not many, but they exist. Same with the entrance/exit to the Husky. Or Lodge road turn off. These are places where cars will suddenly be stopped or moving at a crawl. Besides, can we agree that 50 km/h is appropriate once you get to the DQ headed south? I don't see a lot of speed limits go from 90 down to 50. Generally it goes to 70 for a bit first.

Oh. All 3 driveways? Better lower the speedlimit to 50 for those 3 driveways on 97 across from Duck Lake.

50 is fine for "in town". You want 70 before 50 - place the speed reduction just before the 50 zone like they do almost anywhere else such as half way between Berry and Lodge Rds.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
User avatar
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 10111
Likes: 3963 posts
Liked in: 4431 posts
Joined: Feb 12th, 2011, 1:56 pm

Re: Really?..How fast is fast enough drivers?

Postby youjustcomplain » Jul 20th, 2017, 8:27 am

Dizzy1 wrote:Oh. All 3 driveways? Better lower the speedlimit to 50 for those 3 driveways on 97 across from Duck Lake.

50 is fine for "in town". You want 70 before 50 - place the speed reduction just before the 50 zone like they do almost anywhere else such as half way between Berry and Lodge Rds.


I see your point. I'd be ok with it staying 90 after the Oceola lights, but once you start getting near the Husky, I think it should go down to 70. Then 50 by Lodge.

Really, for me, it's the Husky on the corner that has the potential for a problem. People leaving the gas station may easily misjudge the oncoming traffic speed and pull out at an unsafe time. If they do it when cars are going 70, it'll give both parties a better chance to survive if there is an impact.
youjustcomplain
Board Meister
 
Posts: 554
Likes: 124 posts
Liked in: 285 posts
Joined: Jun 14th, 2016, 11:56 am

Re: Really?..How fast is fast enough drivers?

Postby lightspeed » Jul 21st, 2017, 10:27 am

youjustcomplain wrote:
Dizzy1 wrote:Oh. All 3 driveways? Better lower the speedlimit to 50 for those 3 driveways on 97 across from Duck Lake.

50 is fine for "in town". You want 70 before 50 - place the speed reduction just before the 50 zone like they do almost anywhere else such as half way between Berry and Lodge Rds.


I see your point. I'd be ok with it staying 90 after the Oceola lights, but once you start getting near the Husky, I think it should go down to 70. Then 50 by Lodge.

Really, for me, it's the Husky on the corner that has the potential for a problem. People leaving the gas station may easily misjudge the oncoming traffic speed and pull out at an unsafe time. If they do it when cars are going 70, it'll give both parties a better chance to survive if there is an impact.



Simple: Close the gas station exit to the highway and make it entrance only. Too many cowboys coming out of there causing chaos.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

Dizzy1 likes this post.
User avatar
lightspeed
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2248
Likes: 3508 posts
Liked in: 1626 posts
Joined: Jan 13th, 2016, 9:58 am
Location: Vulgaria

Re: Really?..How fast is fast enough drivers?

Postby rookie314 » Jul 24th, 2017, 6:47 pm

dirtybiker wrote:I was in a hurry and speeding the other day, just under 90 in a 70, Winfield, by the Husky.

I was markedly slower than ANYONE, I was being tailgated and being passed, not just
by people going a little quicker, but blowing by at Coquahalla type speeds.
I never gained on a single vehicle, but, I like my vehicle and my licence so even if
"I" was the hazard at that point, being in the minority speed-wise.
I wasn't going to go any faster.


I drive that every day and you weren't speeding and your point is right on!!
rookie314
Übergod
 
Posts: 1449
Likes: 421 posts
Liked in: 355 posts
Joined: Jun 11th, 2005, 9:00 am

Re: Really?..How fast is fast enough drivers?

Postby spooker » Aug 18th, 2017, 1:03 pm

From a recently published study by the NTSB ... https://www.ntsb.gov/safety/safety-studies/Documents/SS1701.pdf (just picked some of the more interesting points)

Findings:
Speed increases the likelihood of serious and fatal crash involvement, although the exact
relationship is complex due to many factors.


Unintended consequences of the reliance on using the 85th percentile speed for changing
speed limits in speed zones include higher operating speeds and new, higher 85th percentile
speeds in the speed zones, and an increase in operating speeds outside the speed zones.


The safe system approach to setting speed limits in urban areas is an improvement over
conventional approaches because it considers the vulnerability of all road users.


Automated speed enforcement is an effective countermeasure to reduce speeding-related
crashes, fatalities, and injuries.


Recommendations:
Collaborate with other traffic safety stakeholders to develop and implement an
ongoing program to increase public awareness of speeding as a national traffic
safety issue. The program should include, but not be limited to, initiating an annual
enforcement mobilization directed at speeding drivers. (H-17-25)


... remove the guidance that speed limits in speed zones should be within 5 mph of the
85th percentile speed.
--
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. -- Plato
User avatar
spooker
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 720
Likes: 619 posts
Liked in: 469 posts
Joined: May 12th, 2009, 4:18 pm
Location: Kelowna, BC, CA

Previous

Return to Trials & Tribulations of Traffic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron