Why old people shouldn't drive anymore.

Home of the traffic rant.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Why old people shouldn't drive anymore.

Post by Bsuds »

Merry wrote:I agree with you about this neilsimon; ability not age should determine whether or not one is allowed to retain one's driving license. However, I think retesting every 5 years could become a bit onerous, and think every 10 years would be more appropriate, while still serving the intended purpose.

Until a certain age (like 80) and then every 2 years, then every year.

What's more important, a persons mobility or other peoples lives?

It may not be long until self driving cars take over and then it will not be a problem.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Bsuds wrote:
Merry wrote:I agree with you about this neilsimon; ability not age should determine whether or not one is allowed to retain one's driving license. However, I think retesting every 5 years could become a bit onerous, and think every 10 years would be more appropriate, while still serving the intended purpose.

Until a certain age (like 80) and then every 2 years, then every year.

What's more important, a persons mobility or other peoples lives?

It may not be long until self driving cars take over and then it will not be a problem.

This is the province that offers no enhanced driver training programmes, no additional insurance discount or incentive for taking additional driver training, and fails to adequately punish higher risk drivers through increased premiums. Fines for routine infractions are about the price of a decent meal for two people and are barely a deterrent. Plus hardly an enforcement presence on the highways.

Overall, a shockingly poor driver administration system. Supported by idiot politicians who have bright ideas like abandoning Class 4 licences for taxi drivers with the hope they can self regulate in an appalling low cost, low quality industry.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
neilsimon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by neilsimon »

Merry wrote:... However, I think retesting every 5 years could become a bit onerous, and think every 10 years would be more appropriate, while still serving the intended purpose.

I'd support that. Anything is better than the current farce
neilsimon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by neilsimon »

lightspeed wrote:...
This is the province that offers no enhanced driver training programmes, no additional insurance discount or incentive for taking additional driver training, and fails to adequately punish higher risk drivers through increased premiums. Fines for routine infractions are about the price of a decent meal for two people and are barely a deterrent. Plus hardly an enforcement presence on the highways.

Overall, a shockingly poor driver administration system. Supported by idiot politicians who have bright ideas like abandoning Class 4 licences for taxi drivers with the hope they can self regulate in an appalling low cost, low quality industry.

I come from a place with lower premiums, where insurance companies offer larger discounts for claims free driving, and discounts for those who undertake advanced driving courses, and policies where you can have an insurance policy which covers the driver in any car, whether it is otherwise insured or not. Needless to say, I find the system in BC to be a joke.
GalaxyzAway

Post by GalaxyzAway »

z
Last edited by GalaxyzAway on May 31st, 2017, 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

There is often a HUGE medical, behavior and ability gap between 60 and 70 though. Once you reach that age, your health can deteriorate rapidly and suddenly.

My grandpa for example, spent his entire life driving a truck for his career and he went from perfectly fine at around age 66 to being banned from driving from multiple incidents by 69. In 3 years, he went completely 180 and actually died shortly after as well.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

GalaxyzAway wrote:I think everyone should have to re-take their driver's licence test periodically. If you can't pass, you can't drive. Simple as that.

There's a voluntary component to maintaining or improving your driving skills.

Yet everyone with a licence is entitled and thinks they're a superstar driver.

You COULD spend some money on training/assessment with a driving school. The instructor will assess all your skills and give feedback for improvement. But why would anyone do that when they can just keep on rolling like a boss, and cause havoc and mayhem on the roads.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”