Why old people shouldn't drive anymore.

Home of the traffic rant.
lightspeed
Guru

Re: Why old people shouldn't drive anymore.

Post by lightspeed »

Merry wrote:But even then, its' important that the senior be given the opportunity to take a new driving test, just to be sure it's not "over caution" on their relatives part.

No doctor or family member can take away their licence. They get reported if it's medical related and then ICBC gives them a driving test to see if they are still competent. Only ICBC can take away driving privelidges.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

lightspeed wrote:Only ICBC can take away driving privelidges.

What about Judges and RCMP?
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

Honestly, yesterday I was willing to be nice, but didn't contribute.
Today, contributing, all I can say,

Is another young punk spouting off about shiite they know nothing about.

Your demographic causes more crashes statistically speaking.
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

What_the wrote:Honestly, yesterday I was willing to be nice, but didn't contribute.

Numbers wise. But the cotton tops drive less often and for less km but are more likely to be involved in a serious accident.

Check your research.

lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Bsuds wrote:
lightspeed wrote:Only ICBC can take away driving privelidges.

What about Judges and RCMP?

Neither is responsible for administering driving licences.

If a serious accident occurs then of course the RCMP will recommend charges, and in that case we the road going public hope they are banned from driving, but we're talking here about run of the mill drivers who are a danger on the roads but haven't (yet) caused an accident.

Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

lightspeed wrote:
Merry wrote:But even then, its' important that the senior be given the opportunity to take a new driving test, just to be sure it's not "over caution" on their relatives part.

No doctor or family member can take away their licence. They get reported if it's medical related and then ICBC gives them a driving test to see if they are still competent. Only ICBC can take away driving privelidges.

I didn't intend to suggest that the doctor would take away their license. But the doctor would be in a position to report the situation to those who can.

And I never said that family members could take away a seniors license either. I said that family members could report what they are observing to either the doctor or "some other appropriate authority".

And presumably the "appropriate authority" in this case would be ICBC

So please read what is being said a bit more carefully in future before you respond.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
TheBoss
Fledgling

Post by TheBoss »

So today i had another encounter with a grey haired wonder. So i see it's clear the one way and a car coming the other way but with enough time to get out safely. So make my turn and with my car get up to 60 quickly, look in my mirror i should be at least a good 1-2 car lengths ahead of the person nope right on my bumper. So i proceed down the road and it's a yield to through traffic, so i see traffic and proceed to yield and he almost rear ends me *sigh* So i proceed once it's clear and get up to 50 and he's right on my bumper, meaning if i had to stop in a hurry i would of been rear ended.

Self driving technology is developing at a pretty good rate, some of the articles I'm reading are saying that within 5 years a majority of cars will have the tech and with in another 15 years it will be almost mandatory. So by the time I'm 70 I'll have a self driven car.

Sorry to disappoint any of the grey haired wonders on here. I have seen to many close calls with them to trust their driving anymore.

I'm not a young punk spouting off *bleep* i don't know anything about, I have seen the way the old people drive and it scares me. You do flagging in Salmon arm or anywhere in the valley and you'll never ever want to do it again after see the way old people drive it's scary.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Merry wrote:I didn't intend to suggest that the doctor would take away their license. But the doctor would be in a position to report the situation to those who can.

And I never said that family members could take away a seniors license either. I said that family members could report what they are observing to either the doctor or "some other appropriate authority".

And presumably the "appropriate authority" in this case would be ICBC

So please read what is being said a bit more carefully in future before you respond.

I kindly suggest you make yourself much clearer then. We are not mind readers here.

Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I'm beginning to think "Old people" should quit driving.

They are likely to get hit and killed by a "young" idiot driver texting on their phone while driving.

Safer just to stay off the roads.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Picture this: You're out on the road, driving in mixed traffic with your choice of drivers to follow. One is a gray-haired senior puttering along in the right lane and the other is a fresh-faced teenager moving briskly in the left lane.

Statistically speaking, which driver is safer to follow? The older driver with the slower reflexes, poorer vision, and cautious driving style, or the younger driver with faster reactions, better eyesight, and driving with the flow of traffic?

The answer: Stay in the right lane, behind the oldster, and let the teenager go on his way. According to statistics from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, the safest drivers are in the age group between 64 and 69 years old. And studies of the data reveal that teenage drivers — especially male teenage drivers — are the most dangerous drivers on the road.

"In every motorized country around the world, teenage drivers are disproportionately involved in crashes," said Dr. Anne McCartt, senior vice president for research at the Institute. "The seriousness of this problem has been recognized for decades. Only in the last few years have public policies such as graduated driving licenses been enacted to address the situation. And those laws seem to be working, but fatalities are still high."

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/05/17/seni ... r-drivers/
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
TheBoss
Fledgling

Post by TheBoss »

The issue is the Male ego with young people especially ones with the "know everything attitude". I don't have that problem, i drive with caution because i don't want to be in a car accident.

Coming through the round about on PV Rd (nighttime) I see a car approaching, not slowing down don't see the brake lights come on i'm already in the roundabout so i let off the gas cover the brake and sure enough the car cuts me off i'm able to stop safely. Everyone in the car ( was DD) was impressed with how i reacted and when i explained i saw no brake lights come on i knew they weren't going to stop.

The issue is if you get to the age were you can't drive anymore then you shouldn't drive.

Anyways I'm done with this post.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

TheBoss wrote:
The issue is if you get to the age were you can't drive anymore then you shouldn't drive.

Exactly but that is really not only age related and is just as much health related.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

lightspeed wrote:
What_the wrote:Honestly, yesterday I was willing to be nice, but didn't contribute.

Numbers wise. But the cotton tops drive less often and for less km but are more likely to be involved in a serious accident.

Check your research.

I can't be bothered. Cotton tops may not shoulder check paraphrasing etc, but they don't make intentional risky manoeuvres to satisfy their ego in their new whip.
You don't see cotton tops driving penis extending jacked trucks to commute to work, or debt to income ratio debilitating payments...ego..

Just like the assertion that the op made about Collison avoidance was his superior skills.

That's youthful arrogance.

And ego is truly what cause crashes.
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
neilsimon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by neilsimon »

What_the wrote:...
I can't be bothered. Cotton tops may not shoulder check paraphrasing etc, but they don't make intentional risky manoeuvres to satisfy their ego in their new whip.
You don't see cotton tops driving penis extending jacked trucks to commute to work, or debt to income ratio debilitating payments...ego..

Just like the assertion that the op made about Collison avoidance was his superior skills.

That's youthful arrogance.

And ego is truly what cause crashes.

While ego may sometimes play a part, it's certainly not the only or even largest cause of crashes. Poor judgement is probably the biggest cause. We make poor judgement calls when we over estimate our own ability (sometimes through ego, but also through simple ignorance), are emotionally or mentally impaired (drink, anger, tiredness, etc.), or fail to take in and process important information. It is usually in the last group that we find seniors are more likely to have problems through eyesight impairment, hearing loss, poor response times and lower cognitive ability.

That said, age should certainly not be the determining factor. Ability should be. In my opinion, we should all have to undergo driving testing every 5 years and the test should be of a much higher standard than we currently have. Driving is not and should not be seen as a right. It is a privilege which should only afforded to those capable of and willing to safely operate a vehicle. We should take it seriously and treat it as something we are constantly improving. It would be so much better if we taught our younger drivers to take pride in driving ability, not just in simple vehicle control, but in the far larger topic of roadcraft. The best way to do this is to model such behaviour, but how many people take formal education in driving after they have a full licence?
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

neilsimon wrote: age should certainly not be the determining factor. Ability should be. In my opinion, we should all have to undergo driving testing every 5 years and the test should be of a much higher standard than we currently have. Driving is not and should not be seen as a right. It is a privilege which should only afforded to those capable of and willing to safely operate a vehicle. We should take it seriously and treat it as something we are constantly improving. It would be so much better if we taught our younger drivers to take pride in driving ability, not just in simple vehicle control, but in the far larger topic of roadcraft. The best way to do this is to model such behaviour, but how many people take formal education in driving after they have a full licence?

I agree with you about this neilsimon; ability not age should determine whether or not one is allowed to retain one's driving license. However, I think retesting every 5 years could become a bit onerous, and think every 10 years would be more appropriate, while still serving the intended purpose.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”