RV drivers

Home of the traffic rant.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Re: RV drivers

Post by Smurf »

From an RVers point of view I'll make a few comments.

I always try to stay in the right lane when possible and feel "all large slow vehicles" should. However I frequently get into the left lane quite early when I approach a turn as it is almost impossible to get someone courteous enough to let an RV in front of them. The Okanagan is extremely bad for courteous drivers.

I use pullovers whenever possible. That works good if you know the area, if you don't it can be extremely difficult. I drive a large motorhome pulling a Tracker which makes me quite large. I do not slow down or stop on a dime. I need a bit of leeway and a fairly large pullout to slowdown, pull in and then get out again and there are not that many suitable ones out there. No one would appreciate me crawling along slowly looking for a pullout I could get into, so much of the time it is just as big a problem for me as it is you.

I try to miss busy hours as much as possible but I frequently have a schedule also. I have worked full time for over 40 years, paid taxes for well over 50 years, why do I have to plan my life around other people. I have as much right to be on our roads as anyone else. I try to plan my time properly why shouldn't everyone else.

I believe we all need to be as courteous as possible and accept the fact that our roads are there for everyone. I am bothered much more by tailgater's, speeders, distracted drivers, etc than I am by the actually few (in the grand scheme of things) RV drivers. I have commuted to work for short, long distances, summer, winter, planned my trip, never had a problem even when I drove over a hundred "miles" to catch a plane and in decades never missed a plane. Plan your trip, slow down when necessary and enjoy the beautiful scenery, it will be a lot better for everyone.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

Eloquent, smurf. Hats off.
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Smurf got it dead on and most RV drivers are the same.

As usual there are always some who are idiots same as car drivers.

I guess we will all just have to deal with it until we have a self driving vehicle.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
dsldriver
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by dsldriver »

lightspeed wrote:
You really have no clue, do you.

As a matter of fact, I do have a clue. Ask yourself this question. Why are you in such a hurry?? Why do you need to get there yesterday? Cause ur late, and not bright enough to give yourself enough time??

My comment was meant to invoke thought. Kelowna is a small town that you can drive across in less than a half hour, so why not leave 5-10 earlier and enjoy the drive instead of turning into Dick Driver that thinks they get to criticise everyone else. One day, you might be the person taking a family on vacation and plugging up the left lane.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

dsldriver wrote:One day, you might be the person taking a family on vacation and plugging up the left lane.

Nope. Not happening.

After finishing work one should have a reasonable expectation of being able to travel home without morons clogging up the left lane leaving km's of frustrated traffic in their wake.

Sounds like you're one of the selfish left lane hoggers of this parish.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Actually in the Okanagan in the summer time anyone who has lived here for even a month should know that there is zero expectation of clogged free driving. We are in a tourist area and we already have enough traffic of our own. One should never expect a trouble free drive in the spring summer, fall or winter in any main areas of the Okanagan. If you look around you, you will probably find that all lanes are clogged most of the time leaving one no where to go.

Tell us lightspeed does your drive include traveling over the posted, legal, speed limit, because if it does that could be a big part of your problem. You are trying to travel at the busiest time of day which is not good even at the best of times. Everyone has the right to be on the road for whatever reason, maybe some of them even more than you. What about people who are working on our roadways and you and all the other people just driving home from work are getting in their way and making them later than they already are. None of us are anymore important than anyone else, so get over yourself and plan accordingly.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Smurf wrote:
Tell us lightspeed does your drive include traveling over the posted, legal, speed limit

Nice try.

Rarely, which is why I've never had a speeding ticket and never had cause for the RCMP to pull me over.

johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

lightspeed wrote:
After finishing work one should have a reasonable expectation of being able to travel home without morons clogging up the left lane leaving km's of frustrated traffic in their wake.

Everyone wants to get to their destination as fast as possible. Even RVers.

You're obviously talking about in town travel, which is different than out of town. I think you're getting confused about the rules, especially during rush hour traffic, when it is encouraged that traffic use both lanes.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

johnny24 wrote:
lightspeed wrote:

Everyone wants to get to their destination as fast as possible. Even RVers.

You're obviously talking about in town travel, which is different than out of town. I think you're getting confused about the rules, especially during rush hour traffic, when it is encouraged that traffic use both lanes.

Again nice try. No cigar.

I'm talking dual lane highways.

johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

lightspeed wrote:
Again nice try. No cigar.

I'm talking dual lane highways.

No you weren't. You were talking traffic lights and rush hour.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

johnny24 wrote:No you weren't. You were talking traffic lights and rush hour.

Again nice try, but cigars are not being handed out today. Get a grip man. Read the OP.

FYI there are traffic lights on 97 out of town as soon as you lave the construction zone area. They certainly contribute to the clusterfumble and the genius left lane hogging RV drivers contribute to it even more.

lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

At least someone has a handle on these clowns:

http://www.king5.com/news/local/left-la ... /450266725

Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Maybe if our police handed out a few tickets for left lane hogs some people would move over.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

You do realize that by campers they do not mean RVer's, they mean any vehicle that is driving in the left lane don't you. And I do agree anyone "camping" in the left lane are clowns and should be ticketed. If you are driving far in the Okanagan at anytime in the left lane at the speed limit you must also be holding up a lot of people because there are few drivers that follow the speed limit. I know from experience as I get pushed constantly even in the right lane.

By the way thanks for answering me because going by experience most of the people that seem to have trouble in heavy traffic are speeders. If traffic is slower than the speed limit I don't believe it is anyones fault other than the amount of traffic on the road. It's not only rver's but everyone who is caught.

Agreed Bsuds and they could add speeding to their ticket list.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”